Carlisle Ford Nationals 5/31-6/2/24

theterminator93

Administrator
Staff member
Vehicle Details
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
Country flag
Anyone going this year? I noticed SCCoA has a tent, but it would be cool to get some BirdCats representation for the first time in 25 years!

I've thought about going occasionally and was seriously considering it a few years ago... then pandemic. :rofl:

I don't think I'm going this year, but it's not too early to start thinking about 2025 either. :smile:

I'll be there, unfortunately my tbird won't so I'll be driving my fusion sport. I'm probably cruising with Bill from scp so if anyone needs something and wants to save on shipping, let him know and we can load up my car...I'm still registered with sccoa, they've always accepted my buddy and I with our v8s and have gotten to know a ton of cool people in the 15+ years I've been around them. Carlisle is awesome, last year was my first one and it's almost overwhelming (and addicting). I didn't get to see anywhere close to everything last year, but that was partially because I wore shorts for the first time in years and my legs got scorched going through the swap meet the first day...still had a blast hanging around the tent with everyone. This year though, since I have the fusion, it now becomes a 4 person air conditioned scooter...I'll see you there Mike, plus whoever else is going.

I love the Carlisle show but I refuse to drive through the Communist state that is Virginia.

Ron and I were there in 2015 with the 60th T-Bird anniversary. I'm thinking about next year for the 70th, maybe I'll have that code figured out by then! :rofl:

Joe
Wow! Has it been nearly 10 years!?! Where does the time go? If you go have a good one Joe!

I love the Carlisle show but I refuse to drive through the Communist state that is Virginia.

Amen to that! My father lives in VA, and my mother has a place in GA, so I sometimes have to drive through there. I bought myself a Uniden R1 radar detector, which is undetectable by their radar detector detectors, and I always have Waze up when driving in VA, and between those two countermeasures, I feel much more comfortable driving there. I would recommend the same to anyone who has to drive in VA for any reason.

Any stripline radar detector is undetectable; They look for the mixer frequency.

I drive through Virginia at least once a week on I-81 and/or I-77 with the cruise set at 78. Never once have had a problem.

The majority of VSP's troopers are indeed legitimately retarded, but they're also incredibly lazy. I've watched cars and bikes fly by their speed traps at 90+ and they just sit there. The county deputies are the ones that will go after you, especially in SW VA.

I drive through Virginia at least once a week on I-81 and/or I-77 with the cruise set at 78. Never once have had a problem.

The majority of VSP's troopers are indeed legitimately retarded, but they're also incredibly lazy. I've watched cars and bikes fly by their speed traps at 90+ and they just sit there. The county deputies are the ones that will go after you, especially in SW VA.
You have been incredibly lucky. I not only got pulled over, but ticketed for 74 in a 70, at the bottom of a fucking mountain on I81. In VA, anything over 80mph is a criminal charge, even if the speed limit in that area is 70mph. People have literally gone to jail for 10mph over the limit in VA. People have lost their jobs because they paid a speeding ticket and later found out that they now have a criminal record. They are also the only state where radar detectors are illegal (hence my recommendation that you get one that is undetectable to their radar detector detectors), and the only way they manage to keep it illegal is by dropping the ticket for anyone who appeals it. Literally every other state that had a law banning radar detectors it was challenged and deemed unconstitutional, so for the last 15 years, VA has known this, kept the law on the books, and immediately dropped all charges on anyone who appeals above the municipal court level, thereby preventing it from getting in front of the state supreme court, and still being able to keep them illegal. It really is a fascist state, and that’s saying a lot considering I live in NJ!

15-20 years ago you were exactly right. I've driven the SW VA highways (I-81 / I-77 / US-220) my whole life and I will agree that their reputation was rightfully earned. They still have the signs in Wytheville warning you about the 80mph penalties. Now it is much more lax. If you keep it under 80, reduce your speed in construction zones / Highway Safety Corridors, and don't drive aggressively; you'll rarely have a problem.

I don't know if it's VSP's inability to recruit new Troopers or what, but their presence has been severely diminished over the last 8-10 years. And what presence they do have is mostly under 35 and lazy. We've had multiple crashes where VSP refused to review our dash cam footage at the scene because he had already written the report and ticket before I could email it to their car.

I went from Tennessee to Mount Airy to Roanoke (and back) last week and saw four cops in Virginia the whole time I was on the highway. All but one of them were county deputies staked out in construction zones or in the Fancy Gap area. Two of them had VA-plated cars pulled for what I assume was speeding through a work zone. Meanwhile in Tennessee, I saw at least six THP Troopers between Knoxville and Bristol in one day.

Heck, the RX I am currently driving is our company's spare vehicle. It is registered at our terminal in Roanoke but does not have a front plate mounted. Nobody has ever been pulled for that while driving it there. 15 years ago you'd have been sitting in jail next to the 80mph speeder for no front plate.

VSP's main presence now seems to be responding to crashes and operating the truck scales. Bland and Troutville are almost always open and the Troopers are in there doing inspections. Things may be different in NOVA or Winchester, but anywhere from Martinsville to the mountains is much more relaxed than it used to be.

Oh I do too still. :rofl:

When I was with the Mark VII club, I always wanted to go. The head of the Mark VII club ALWAYS went, every year, made me want to go. But I live in New Mexico, too far from heaven, to close to Texas.

No, Super Coupe guys have been getting their own tent for years. If you have an MN-12 and you register just put them in as your club affiliation. The more people the better as far as getting the tent.

Yes. Register with SCCoA. We've been combining forces with them at Carlisle as long as I can remember.

I should keep it on my mind to fly out for next year. That looks like a really nice lot.