Head Removal Engine in Car?

Yes. But it sucks. :) The protip for getting them out is o use a big rubberband to hold the bolts up, while you pull the heads off. It's not like they will pull all the way out or anything...

No, impossible, never been done before :rofl:

7F3A9966-1C4E-4078-B94C-B0596246C6FE.jpeg

I don’t know if FRPP still makes the head changing kit but they came with slit rubber sleeves you can slip under the head bolts, essentially duplicating the rubber band method. The worst part of doing the heads in car is getting the dipstick tube in

Last edited:
Sweet. My engine has a bad oil burning situation. I'm hoping/ thinking it's largely a valve guide issue (even though they are PI heads). I should pull my heads and have them rebuilt.

The newest possible pi heads are 12 years old, most are older. Have them rebuilt if the valve guides are toast, otherwise, Iwould do the seals, lap the valves, and put them back on. Just know that usually 50% of the oil is coming thru the rings, and ingested thru the intake.

I'm strongly leaning to valve guides because it smokes really bad on a hot restart. I put valve seals in it two years ago but it only seemed to help for a few months.

Is your shortblock original to 1995? I hate to say it but it's probably oil getting pulled up past the rings and burned if so. That image was during my PI headswap and that's the original block, while the PI heads and fresh valve seals reduced consumption from the old npis it still was an oil burner, there's a video out there of my car at great lakes dragway with that motor and you could see the blue puffs from the upshifts. When I pulled those heads off to sell after the DOHC swap there was no signs of oil leaking down the valve stems

My whole engine is a 2001 of questionable origin. I got my engine off ebay 10 ish years ago because it had the Bullitt intake manifold and the price was good. The intake had been clearanced to use a big oval throttle body and the crank had the bearing in it for a manual trans. It was likely ran hard. I don't want to do any engine upgrades right now, I just want to have it not burn a quart every two hours.

I maybe want to pull the whole thing and throw in some rings before summer...

Maybe find another lower mileage engine and swap your good parts?

My whole engine is a 2001 of questionable origin. I got my engine off ebay 10 ish years ago because it had the Bullitt intake manifold and the price was good. The intake had been clearanced to use a big oval throttle body and the crank had the bearing in it for a manual trans. It was likely ran hard. I don't want to do any engine upgrades right now, I just want to have it not burn a quart every two hours.

I maybe want to pull the whole thing and throw in some rings before summer...

That’s what I’d be inclined to do anyway’ I’ll never swap 4.6 heads in car again, pulling the whole engine takes less work and time, and going through it isn’t too hard if necessary

It's a whole lot easier to pull a motor than pull the heads in the car, just from the pain in your back from leaning over it for hours,imho.