Thunderbird to Mustang Hub and Brake Swap

The to use the MN12 rear rotors you need more than redrilling, the hub bore needs to be machined precisely larger as well, it’s smaller than the Mustang hub center.

Okay, looks like I'm getting this done next month and I'm excited as all hell. But I want to make sure I have the little things ready as well.

First: I gather I need 10 of these for the new Mustang front hubs, and that these are the right dimensions:
I'm not sure if there's any particular length of them that would make things easier / harder (there are a lot of variations), or if people have a preferred brand (I see Gorilla mentioned a lot).

Second: Whereas for the rear I need 10 of these:

Third: Spindle nuts. Does anyone have the Ford part number for the OEM nuts? I don't want to mess around with the Dorman ones after all the horror stories I've heard about those, or screw around with a tap. I *think* these are it, but I'm not sure:

Also, how many of these spindle nuts would I need for this?

Fourth: The "MN-12 to SN-95 Bolt Circle Change and Brake Upgrades" article mentions a couple of things that I haven't seen come up.

Even though I'm going with new larger rotors front and back and changing the front calipers, I don't need to change / customize my brake lines at all, correct? Gunn's thread and discussion here hasn't raised this, but the article appears to say that it's necessary.

The article also says you can't get the rear hubs on without a hydraulic press. Is this true? It doesn't seem to be mentioned in other posts, but seems a large stumbling block to doing this yourself.

If there's anything else a beginner is likely to miss in terms of doing this, I'm all ears.

Last edited:
Well I personally haven't done the nub swap but my buddy did and I gave him some tips along the way. The rear you would need to press out and in. But there are hub/bearing puller tools that exist where you can do that work on the car. Though they generally are not cheap. But I think Harbor freight has that type off tool. Or they used to. My buddy for whatever reason bought the Full Tilt Boogie rear hubs, then didn't use them and redrilled the stock hub. So it is possible to redrill the hub on the car.

Lugnuts are fine, I used Mcguards on mine and they’ve held up great. Why do you need a arp stud kit for the rears though?

Yeah you need a press for the rear, it’s DIYable up to that point at which you could take the removed spindle new bearings/hub to a shop with one and they could do it for you real quick for a hopefully reasonable fee. That or find a cheap used press on Craigslist or marketplace. When I hub swapped mine way way back I used my friends press, and we both learned the process on the fly so it’s DIYable with the right tools. Keep in mind the torque wrench you need for the spindle nuts needs to go to 250 ft lbs which is on the pricey end of them even for cheap ones, the hub swap is DIY friendly but not budget friendly

Why do you need a arp stud kit for the rears though?

I may be misunderstanding, but I thought Gunn's article (first post at the top of this page) says you do. Looking at it again, maybe that's only if you are using Cobra spindles, and if you're sticking with the stock MN12 spindles you only need another 10 of the lugnuts?

Gunn replaced his studs because it was a race car. The Mustang hubs use 1/2”x20 studs while the Tbird ones are M12x1.5. The new Mustang front hubs will come with the 1/2x20 studs already pressed in. If you buy the rear hubs from full tilt boogie, they will also have the 1/2”x20 studs, so all you need is 20 1/2”x20 lug nuts, and you are good to go. If you instead redrill your stock rear hubs, you will need to buy 10 Mustang studs, otherwise you will have different thread lug nuts on the front and rear of the car.

Yeah, I replaced the studs because one whole axles worth sheared off racing (original 90s Ford metallurgy, two decades of uga-ugas by tire shops followed by several years of lemons races were what killed our studs.

See pics on the old website. I'll find my exact link and update it to point to my own domain later.

Thanks guys: that clears that part up.

Can anyone clarify the custom brake line part and how many spindle nuts I'll need? The brake line bit in particular is a concern.

You can reuse your stock lines if you wanted, if using PBRs or Cobras you have to grind the banjo block a little bit to clear the passenger side front caliper but they all work fine.

The spindle nuts you need all four since they’re supposed to be one time use. Don’t remember the OE part number unfortunately though

Last edited:
Yep, but it’s only one banjo total you have to grind and it’s quick and easy so if budget is a concern it’s not a bad way to go

The rears need to stay stock calipers, due to our parking brake setup. You do need those. Dave's brackets are an easy way to fit cobra disks, ventilated, in the rear, which is as good as the brakes are going to get for less than a few grand. Our rear calipers don't really have a problem locking up the rear, unlike the fronts. If your stock calipers lock up your front wheels easily, you need to buy better tires, lol.

Excellent. When this is all over with I'm going to go back and edit in all this detail into the first post and try and make as much of a clear, methodical single-post guide to the process as possible.

Wheels- tires front hubs- rear hubs I'd do the lines too. I'm completely ocd tho, lol.

What exactly is being pressed, that you need the hydraulic press for in the first place? Is it a part that's being pressed onto the car (in which case the press and the car have to be together) or a part that you can take somewhere to get this pressing done to it, while leaving the car behind?

The rear hub bore is pressed into the bearing, and the bearing is pressed into the spindle. Altogether everything attaches to the spindle, which can be removed and taken somewhere to be worked on. The halfshaft splines into the hub and can be removed easily when the retaining nut is removed.

Okay, now for the little things. I'm referencing https://www.tccoa.com/d2/members/dlf/Article.html and trying to follow the instructions there. I have questions about the parts list.

1) The "Bearing Retainer".

Bearing RetainerN803955S2

This item isn't actually referenced in the article at all, other than in its part list. According to an Ebay auction they look like this:

Clipboard03.png

Do they go on the fronts or the rears, and what precisely do I do with them? Also, is the Dorman equivalent (933-954) safe to use in this case? (I know it's not for the spindle nuts / retainers.)

2) The Retainers. The article says the fronts and the back require different retainers, but at the same time I've seen reference to what I think are people using the same type for all four retainer nuts (front and back). Which is right?

Last edited: