Trunk Lift Support Struts

Derphound01

Do you want ants? Because that's how you get ants.
Birdcats Supporter
Vehicle Details
Chameleon 1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6
Country flag
This one was easy. I followed this guide and it worked perfectly: Trunk Lid lift strut information. The instructions are posted below for those who'd prefer to not visit a different forum.

My car has a spoiler, so I opted to use two supports. I tested it with one and it was not enough to lift the trunk. One support also provided very little resistance when closing the lid.

Linked here are the supports I used. They are a direct replacement for the OE Mustang supports. A pair of these is the same cost as just one of the OE supports.

Trunk Struts.jpeg

Shown here is the picklist of McMaster-Carr's current part numbers along with the quantity you will need for two supports. You'll need a 12mm and a 16mm wrench to attach the ball mount to the coupling nut.

Trunk Strut Hardware.jpeg

Steps to follow:

1.) Attach one ball socket fitting included with lift struts to the end of each coupling.

2.) Screw the couplings onto the existing studs under the decklid. There is only one stud on each side that will thread correctly.

Trunk Strut 1.jpg

Trunk Strut 2.jpg

3.) Enlarge the top right hole on each ball mount to either 1/4" or 17/64" to fit around trunk torsion arm. My Venetian Blue torsion arms required the larger hole.

4.) Affix ball mount to torsion arm and center other screw hole on trunk arm. Drill a small pilot hole in each trunk arm that lines up with the top left hole in each ball mount bracket.

5.) Screw ball mounts into trunk arms.

Trunk Strut 3.jpg

Trunk Strut 4.jpg

6.) Attach lift struts to ball sockets. Secure locking clips.

Trunk Strut 5.jpg

Trunk Strut 6.jpg

Trunk Strut 7.jpg

7.) Test your handiwork.

Here's a video of it being opened via the keyless entry remote. I didn't get a video of me closing it, but it can be easily closed with just two fingers.

All in all, I'd say this was a success. I hope this helps someone. Feel free to reply here with any questions.

(originally posted at TCCoA on September 5, 2022)

Attachments

• Trunk Struts.jpeg
    Trunk Struts.jpeg
    560.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Nice, my trunk does like to bonk me

Great write-up!

Now just for the record, it is possible to achieve the same-ish result by tightening the torsion bars, each of which has three notches.

I personally did that, and I cannot in good conscience recommend it to anyone as there is serious risk of injury.

Great write-up!

Now just for the record, it is possible to achieve the same-ish result by tightening the torsion bars, each of which has three notches.

I personally did that, and I cannot in good conscience recommend it to anyone as there is serious risk of injury.
Yeah, I like not dying in the trunk of my car. :ROFLMAO: