Unconnected electrical connector. Can't find where it goes!

GRWeldon

3rd Gear Poster
Country flag
Today, while investigating what is involved in changing the little pieces of vacuum line where the EVAP cannister and servo are, I noticed a disconnected brown electrical connector between the passenger side of the radiator and core support. I traced the wiring and it goes back to a thicker harness where four smaller harnesses connect to one thick one. The thick one goes up around the top of the passenger side wheel well under the plastic cover. I couldn't find anything that this wiring connects to. Funny thing is that it's also unconnected on my 97. If nobody knows what I'm talking about I'll add a picture, but surely somebody on here knows what this thing is and if it needs to connect to something...right? :)

It's probably for the sender on the coolant reservoir. They leave them hanging on cars without that option.

Could be the unused connector for the outside temp sensor if your car doesn’t have SATC

I recall seeing the same unused connection. IIRC it's the wire going to the temp sensor that signals the blower fan to turn on once the coolant warms up. Or what Matt said above it's the outside temp sensor(I believe those are near the bumper though?).

I think matt's right, the one I said is drivers side. The satc sensor is 1 wire; You have to add a ground wire to the coolant line it's in, after you hacksaw it off during a PI swap. :) There's no bung for it in the PI coolant line. I did find, while researching the crack-pipe or Apten cooling mod, that there's a mark 8 part that has the bung.

A picture of the connector or wire colors would help.

This is the connector that Matt is talking about:

Screenshot 2024-04-01 204518.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies folks. One thing I miss while driving this car is knowing what the outside temp is. Is it possible to add this feature, either factory or aftermarket?

Thanks for the replies folks. One thing I miss while driving this car is knowing what the outside temp is. Is it possible to add this feature, either factory or aftermarket?

There might be some aftermarket auto dimming rear view mirrors with an o/t display. Retrofitting the dash to SATC is doable but you really need the entire dash harness from your year and need to modify the heater box, add the interior temp vent tube, block off the old blower resistor hole, swap blend door actuators swap vacuum harness for the lockout solenoid and add the blower PWM controller and brackets.

I’ve done it, but otoh the 3 knob setup is hassle free and intuitive, I kind of wish I kept it at times when a head or PWM was acting up

There might be some aftermarket auto dimming rear view mirrors with an o/t display. Retrofitting the dash to SATC is doable but you really need the entire dash harness from your year and need to modify the heater box, add the interior temp vent tube, block off the old blower resistor hole, swap blend door actuators swap vacuum harness for the lockout solenoid and add the blower PWM controller and brackets.

I’ve done it, but otoh the 3 knob setup is hassle free and intuitive, I kind of wish I kept it at times when a head or PWM was acting up
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, that's WAY too much work just to get a temp display. I don't like the auto climate control on my SC. As you say, the 3-knob systems are hassle free and intuitive. I just kinda like to know what the temp is outside. Won't really matter all that much when I get the AC fixed.

I know the outside temp in both my 97 and 90..
Its easy.. Damn it's hot, damn it's cold, or the rare it feels really good... 😁

I know the outside temp in both my 97 and 90..
Its easy.. Damn it's hot, damn it's cold, or the rare it feels really good... 😁
And I thought it was just my car that the HVAC system sucked. Blows fine on the passenger side, by the time it gets to the drives side "forgetaboutit"

I constantly have an issue with my 97 you don't get very much air flow to the vents. The defrost and floor work great and I've pulled that dash out so many times I can't take the idea of pulling it again. It's not a blend door issue or vacuum issue. It's just an issue always has been and I've had it approximately 11-12 years or so. Also I always have a freon leak. Replaced all the lines,compressor,evap,dryer,pressure switch and condenser and it still leaks done uv dye can't find it. Which is super annoying.

Same low airflow issue on the dash vents in my Cougar, my Tbird had the same issue as well. I started a thread about it on the old forum. The consensus was it's inadequate ducting design from the factory.

Well that's a bummer... The heat in that car will run you out like a sinner in church. But the AC is pretty terrible

There might be some aftermarket auto dimming rear view mirrors with an o/t display.
This is probably your easiest option. You can also get the mirrors with a backup camera screen and Bluetooth.