What is this tube?

GRWeldon

3rd Gear Poster
Country flag
What is this tube and what does it connect to? In the image of the green 97 T-bird, you can see it is attached to a deteriorated foam coupler and to a plastic tube that goes to the front, possibly through the radiator support. In the second picture and the reason I'm asking about it, that's the same tube that is unconnected in my white 96 T-bird that I bought a few months ago and just got running. I'm wondering if it's a vacuum line that needs attaching somewhere.

I used to have a digital copy of the manual for the MN12 platform where I could look this stuff up but that computer has long since died.

20240127_125824.jpg20240127_125915.jpg

That's the fuel line, I think. do you have two lines going to the rail? It could be the emissions vapor line, I guess. That is the pass side, right?

You are both correct... It is indeed on the passenger side. The engine does seem like it's idling a bit high but I didn't hear any vacuum links. I'll look for a spot on the intake that is missing a hose.

iirc, it comes out of the tb, goes to the pass frame rail,then a hardline made of black plastic. There are 8 pieces of 1/4" tubing in that line.if it's leaking, it sets a code. :)

It's on the back of the plenum, aka the 90 degee elbow between the throttle and plastic intake manifold. Unless that port's been plugged it would definitely cause a vacuum leak

That is definitely the emissions vapor line that goes to the throttle body. It is also bent to shit. It isn't the way it is supposed to be at all.

Another thing to check if our car has fuel issues, is the fuel line that runs beside this one; idiots have a bad habit of putting a jack across the one below the pass side door.

That is definitely the emissions vapor line that goes to the throttle body. It is also bent to shit. It isn't the way it is supposed to be at all.
Yeah, that one is certainly bent to shit as you say. The one in the second picture is in a different car, which is NOT bent to shit! :)

It's on the back of the plenum, aka the 90 degee elbow between the throttle and plastic intake manifold. Unless that port's been plugged it would definitely cause a vacuum leak
Well I looked before I got this post and didn't see any "open" ports however it is fairly overcast here and the hood makes a shadow and I didn't have a flashlight. You say it's on the back-side of the throttle body? Between the rear edge and the firewall someplace?

Well I looked before I got this post and didn't see any "open" ports however it is fairly overcast here and the hood makes a shadow and I didn't have a flashlight. You say it's on the back-side of the throttle body? Between the rear edge and the firewall someplace?

It’s probably hard to spot below the throttle cable but it’s a longish tube with a barb on the end
A56B84A9-63AA-4BD5-832C-9EC99FA59EF5.jpeg

One of the things I had to tell Herb about when he bought the tbird was that there's an extra fuel line in that spot. I could not get the damn thing out without removing the liner for the wheelwell, and I forgot to do it later. It's a non-spare spare, lol.Chuck Cooper's junkie ass put the floorjack on the original line and crimped it flat in two places. Apparently right after me telling him to watch where he put the jack. Don't let junkies touch your car.:roll: