Windage tray?

rampagingsloth

2nd Gear Poster
Vehicle Details
1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6
Country flag
New stupid question because I think I saw the answer once but can't remember. Is it worth the time to try putting a windage tray on a regular 2-valve 4.6 MN12 engine? I thought someone said there was no room with our oil pan or that the pan sort of had some molded-in baffling or something similar so it was unnecessary.

There's a windage tray in the mark engines, and there are internal baffles in both those and ours. If the windage tray is used, you really need a mark motor; the extra bolts in the main bearing blocks are extended, to mount the windage tray. The mark engines have 4 bolt mains, 2v cars are 2 bolt mains. I think a windage tray will clear, if it's the right one. The ones from summit racing probably wont.

There's a windage tray in the mark engines, and there are internal baffles in both those and ours. If the windage tray is used, you really need a mark motor; the extra bolts in the main bearing blocks are extended, to mount the windage tray. The mark engines have 4 bolt mains, 2v cars are 2 bolt mains. I think a windage tray will clear, if it's the right one. The ones from summit racing probably wont

The Mark pan is identical to the Tbird pan except for the quart tumor and the oil level sensor.

New stupid question because I think I saw the answer once but can't remember. Is it worth the time to try putting a windage tray on a regular 2-valve 4.6 MN12 engine? I thought someone said there was no room with our oil pan or that the pan sort of had some molded-in baffling or something similar so it was unnecessary.

The stock pan has crank scrapers all the way across and the rear sump has baffles that effectively act as a windage tray as is. I don’t think a tray mounted to the mains is worth it on these engines unless you did something more much elaborate, which gets into diminishing returns territory.

Here’s a stock Mark VIII pan(again other than the tumor it’s identical to the Tbird pan), note the scrapers and baffle trays over the sump

8049D057-5340-487F-A36D-98C59F630CB1.jpeg

Now compare that to a SN95 Mustang pan

1706429308560.jpeg
Big gaping sump. Mustang Cobra and Mach 1s use a half a windage tray over the sump as a substitute that bolts to the main cap studs, but still doesn’t have the crank scrapers like our pans have. We have the superior design.

A windage tray is a good idea. on a 2v, which doesn't have one, the oil gets slung up thr drain holes, and also rides up the timing chain, and fills the pass side head, which then goes out the pcv valve, into the manifold, and thru the engine. at a sustained 6krpm, it wil empty the engine in a short time. That's how Lazarus got his rod knock. :facepalm:

I bought the pan that Oscar welded the extra wart to, so it would hold more oil. I'm probably going to put it on lazarus when I swap it. :)

I've been meaning to work out how fast that is, but I don't really want to know. Like I said on the bike that time; "There's a peg at 85. It cant go faster than that." I'm glad he thought it was funny, I could have gone to jail. :)

A windage tray is a good idea. on a 2v, which doesn't have one, the oil gets slung up thr drain holes, and also rides up the timing chain, and fills the pass side head, which then goes out the pcv valve, into the manifold, and thru the engine. at a sustained 6krpm, it wil empty the engine in a short time. That's how Lazarus got his rod knock. :facepalm:

Unless it has additional baffling to block the drainbacks a windage tray won’t do squat to prevent that, windage trays prevent aeration of oil in the sump, scrapers help take oil vapor under the crank out of suspension, both things the stock MN12 pan does fine, as it has scrapers that run the full length of the crank and baffling trays above the sump.

The only thing Marks have any different is not on the pan but on the Gen II pickup tubes they have baffles welded onto it to block crank windage from doing directly up the block drainbacks the tube just so happens to run along. That is more effective than a windage tray for that specific problem.

Not a great angle but you can see the drainbacks baffles between the main caps

1706466279881.png

The oil riding up the timing chain likewise won’t be solved by a windage tray, and in fact it’s not crank windage that causes that but the chain itself. Not really any good simple solution for that

Last edited:
Agreed. I do have a mark oil pump, pickup tube, and pan for the new engine build.
I just found out I fucked up by using a "brush type" hone to do the crosshatching, I needed to use a flat hone, to look for ripples in the walls.:roll:
;