1995 Thunderbird 4.6; seen 30DEC23

I wouldn't be surprised if that had over 300k in reality...hard to believe the odometer gear would last that many miles, if so, better grab them because they might be indescribable...I've seen so many fail even before 70k...

Man, that blue interior gives me the feels for my old 94 XR7.

This is random, but the 97 needs a new LR caliper and/or bracket - at least one of the slide pins is seized and has been for years. In your travels, can you keep an eye peeled for any that don't have seized up slide pins? Probably a tall order considering how these are stored, but "don't ask, don't receive" applies. :)

This is random, but the 97 needs a new LR caliper and/or bracket - at least one of the slide pins is seized and has been for years.

Never done anything brake related. I'm going to need a picture.

Meanwhile, today's roundtrip netted a fuel economy of 28 mpg. Good, but at a constant speed of 60 mph, I expected a bit better. I've done similar trips with a constant 65-75 mph, and fuel economy was about the same. It could be due to colder temperatures and thus increased drag.

That said, it's pretty impressive overall in a car of this vintage with a 3.8l engine; many modern cars don't get any better.

Screenshot_20231230_152323_Calculator.jpg

Correct - lower air temperatures contribute to lower MPG. Denser air is more air resistance and also increases the fuel requirement for combustion. Good for power though. Wind speed and direction also plays a significant role in MPG. With a 20 MPH tail wind I may see a 10-15% improvement in MPG compared to the return trip with a 20 MPH head wind, depending on speed.

In aircraft, denser, colder air contributes to great improvements in climb performance, but a noticeably lower cruise speed. The increase in power is not enough to overcome the increase in drag, especially at speed - wind resistance increases with the square of speed, so 10% more power will only help you overcome a few percent of the increased drag at speeds well over 100 MPH.

1703974480830.jpeg

(not my picture)

If you remove the caliper you can check to see if the slide pins in the bracket are any good.

1703974647814.jpeg

The slide pins allow the caliper to center itself on the rotor when pressure is applied to the piston. When they get stuck, the piston pushes the brake pad against the back of the rotor only, and you get 1/2 the braking effectiveness. As time goes by and that continues, the problems tend to compound in a soggy pedal that mimics air in the lines.

Never done anything brake related. I'm going to need a picture.

Meanwhile, today's roundtrip netted a fuel economy of 28 mpg. Good, but at a constant speed of 60 mph, I expected a bit better. I've done similar trips with a constant 65-75 mph, and fuel economy was about the same. It could be due to colder temperatures and thus increased drag.

That said, it's pretty impressive overall in a car of this vintage with a 3.8l engine; many modern cars don't get any better.

View attachment 2980

Those MPG numbers are kept there by A: The Oil & Gas Industry and B: The automotive industry. That's why they haven't changes substantially in decades. The status quo keeps the pockets lined.

Keeping the tires properly inflated will really help the mileage over long distances. Check your air pressure. I bet it'd down a few pounds because of the colder air. Not many people give much thought to their tire pressures on a regular basis.

Those MPG numbers are kept there by A: The Oil & Gas Industry and B: The automotive industry. That's why they haven't changes substantially in decades. The status quo keeps the pockets lined.

The alternative is worse.

1703976714642.png

Ive kept track of the mileage on m drives to work, and over the years, the Cougars best mileage speed is 75, and the tbird was 80.
I averaged 22mpg in the cougars, and 24 in the tbird. That's 120 miles/day.

The alternative is worse.

View attachment 2984

I'll take one of these thank you very much. In my travels I've driven about half a dozen Teslas. The long range models are comparable to ICE cars and are great for road tips. The standard range models are good for around town driving and short trips if you don't travel much. I'm very impressed with their performance and I know they're only getting better as the years pass.

0x0-ModelS_04.jpg

Yeah I hear those are real hot items

1703994162793.jpeg

Don’t park it next to your bird 🤭

I'm not much on the Musk but I'm down for a BEV at some point too, my problem is the industry has horrible design tastes right now so I'm in no hurry. Our PHEV has been great, and I'll likely never buy a traditional ICE vehicle again.