4.6l Turbo

Chandar8

1st Gear Poster
Vehicle Details
1995 Thunderbird, 4.6
Country flag
Okie dokie folks, I have gotten into my possession a turbo and bad ideas so I am asking the hive mind how they would figure out the intercooler situation for a tbird. My first idea was SC intercooler but I found some older posts from SCCOA talking about how for 15-20 psi the intercoolers that come stock suck in those. My second idea is a same side intercooler to try and simplify the routing as I am using a Bullitt intake for this. Third idea was an air to water cooler but I am worried about heat soak and cost. Fourth, and arguably my nest worst idea methanol and e85. What's says you

Attachments

• received_283259918099322.jpeg
    received_283259918099322.jpeg
    115.1 KB · Views: 7
  • received_2553678501459199.jpeg
    received_2553678501459199.jpeg
    104.7 KB · Views: 5
Well I am not at all concerned with peak horsepower numbers. I am trying to make power safely for the most part

A front mount with E85 is safer than no intercooler on pump gas. The colder, the safer. And it makes more power.

The stock SC intercoolers work fine but you have to run a smaller rad. Which in a drift car would be a horrible idea. Over heating central

A front mount with E85 is safer than no intercooler on pump gas. The colder, the safer. And it makes more power.

The stock SC intercoolers work fine but you have to run a smaller rad. Which in a drift car would be a horrible idea. Over heating central
Yeah that was kind of the idea here. I found an intercooler that might fit vertically. It is a same side intercooler, which isn't the greatest but it's better than nothing.

You could shove an intercooler up in the air inlet like where I have my trans cooler. However, I have had cooling issues with the engine since pluggin that air inlet with that cooler. I've upgraded to a custom made Fluidyne radiator and added a Mishimoto aux. cooling fan as a pusher in front of the AC condenser to move air through there when the car's not moving.

Trans Cooler.jpg

The VW Mk.4 side mount intercoolers for the 1.8T AWP or 1.9TDI ALH will fit behind the Thunderbird fog light opening and can handle boost. Those engines operated around 12psi in normal conditions and the intercoolers were rated for up to 18psi (sustained). Factory VW part number is 1J0145803T. Upgraded units are also available.

BH-1J0145803T.jpg

OIled up.jpg

I bet I could "fit" Phokey's little CRX unit in an MN12.

1702932403838.png

Might be able to get by with installing the BOV on the pipes up front.

1702932608155.png
I'd sure love to do a V type situation in an MN12/FN10.

So many to choose from:
https://www.cxracing.com/intercooler

Good luck!

-Scott

You could shove an intercooler up in the air inlet like where I have my trans cooler. However, I have had cooling issues with the engine since pluggin that air inlet with that cooler. I've upgraded to a custom made Fluidyne radiator and added a Mishimoto aux. cooling fan as a pusher in front of the AC condenser to move air through there when the car's not moving.

View attachment 2569
This might be one of the two solutions I am looking at. The other is a vertical mount in front of the AC condenser with a same-side intercooler. I know with the SC I can fit a nice large radiator and a good fan but how well does a bigger radiator and fans fit with the 4.6l?

'd love to see that too!! I only lack the means to pay for such a beast. :D Sorry but the concept reminds me of the first SLI VOODOO video card setup I did, wbw. Twice+ the perferformance of one card,for only 2.5x the cost in cards, and a power supply/ fan setup 5 x bigger, lol.

This might be one of the two solutions I am looking at. The other is a vertical mount in front of the AC condenser with a same-side intercooler. I know with the SC I can fit a nice large radiator and a good fan but how well does a bigger radiator and fans fit with the 4.6l?

It fits well. I still run the stock radiator fan on the inside. I added the Mishimoto on the outside as a pusher fan to move more air through there.

It's a 14" slim line fan that I got and mounted to the AC condenser. Here's a link to it.

https://a.co/d/5IheYxj

Here is my radiator and the fan installation. I had to drop that trans cooler down out of the way to install that fan. I had RobertP do the wiring for me after I got it installed as I don't know shit about electrical stuff.

I think I needed to flip the fan blades around to switch it from a puller to a pusher.

Radiator.jpgFan02.jpgFan01.jpg

'd love to see that too!! I only lack the means to pay for such a beast. :D Sorry but the concept reminds me of the first SLI VOODOO video card setup I did, wbw. Twice+ the perferformance of one card,for only 2.5x the cost in cards, and a power supply/ fan setup 5 x bigger, lol.
Oh, the poor stock engine is going to be praying for sure. The idea is get the basics for the silly little project done so that there is little downtime. I am building the transmission, throwing a trac loc in it, then going to try and do the turbo plumbing with the Bullitt intake so that *when* I blow it to pieces I have a teksid forged block at the ready. I have been browsing the mustang forums a whole lot and the consensus there seems to be about 8-10psi on stock internals and 400-450rwhp is 'safe'. Granted that is a tongue in cheek safe and I realize that lol

It fits well. I still run the stock radiator fan on the inside. I added the Mishimoto on the outside as a pusher fan to move more air through there.

It's a 14" slim line fan that I got and mounted to the AC condenser. Here's a link to it.

https://a.co/d/5IheYxj

Here is my radiator and the fan installation. I had to drop that trans cooler down out of the way to install that fan. I had RobertP do the wiring for me after I got it installed as I don't know shit about electrical stuff.

I think I needed to flip the fan blades around to switch it from a puller to a pusher.

View attachment 2586View attachment 2587View attachment 2588
The trans cooler is the one in the second picture at the bottom? This looks like a solid setup honestly. I think an issue I might run into is the fact that ill most likely need a trans cooler and an intercooler. I'm going to have to get creative with my space. I found a group on facebook that is entirely dedicated to drag thunderbirds and I might ask them about tube framing the front end to see if I can squeeze a bit more in, or if I can chop a few things out for a bit more space.

The trans cooler is the one in the second picture at the bottom? This looks like a solid setup honestly. I think an issue I might run into is the fact that ill most likely need a trans cooler and an intercooler. I'm going to have to get creative with my space. I found a group on facebook that is entirely dedicated to drag thunderbirds and I might ask them about tube framing the front end to see if I can squeeze a bit more in, or if I can chop a few things out for a bit more space.
TrunkMonkeys trans cooler is the same cooler you have waiting for SuperBirdo. Same as is in Grants car. Just mounted in a different manner.

Chandahar, search the article about Trunks radiator thread, that's about as good as you'll fit. it's a version of the cobra rad swap, but he got someone to make us one. Matt's thread details some f his radiator fun. I stuffed a three tube mishimoto cobra radiator, a huge 40k btu trans cooler, and a very cold air intake. I need to finish the oil filter relocation, and I'll be good for a while. :)

It seems all boosted designs depend heavily on the success of the cooling. Radiator, sure, but inlet air intercooling, meth injection, e 85, all that becomes very critical with the tiny space we have to run plumbing. Ron is running a very respectable power level, but to get there he's had to rework it all; e85, meth injection , blown,Hell the only knob he's not tweaking is nitrous, and I think he likes his car too much for that. :)

Copied our 2018 group buy information over here. You can check it out in this thread:

Well, it turns out that I got ahead of myself and ordered the incorrect turbine section. So gotta return that and wait on the correct one. Remember to read the whole listing kids

We did it! I found the right turbine side. Now we gotta wait till I have the dollaridos for the rest of it

Attachments

• received_339880488836098.jpeg
    received_339880488836098.jpeg
    68 KB · Views: 4
  • received_1412962752628736.jpeg
    received_1412962752628736.jpeg
    132.7 KB · Views: 4