Any tips on removing window motor/regulator?

GRWeldon

3rd Gear Poster
Country flag
Yeah, I have to remove mine. It slips and stops when trying to roll up/down the window. Looking for tips on how to do it properly... Thanks...

I don't like the shop manual's procedure if all you're trying to do is remove and disassemble the window motor to replace the three pins that probably look like peanut brittle crumbs by now. Who is drilling out the rivets for this?

This is what I did.

Last edited:
Thank you for your replies! Whether or not I actually drill rivets or not, this procedure is very helpful for me. My passenger window isn't working at all and before I disassemble, knowing the testing procedure might save me some time and effort.

I don't like the shop manual's procedure if all you're trying to do is remove and disassemble the window regulator to replace the three pins that probably look like peanut brittle crumbs by now. Who is drilling out the rivets for this?

This is what I did.

I'd certainly check this first!

I've only encountered one regulator that actually went bad because some of the teeth were ground off from wear.

Is there a regulator repair kit available besides SuperCoupe Performance? It's a bit pricey if you have to buy two of them. I'm also going to need the odometer replacement gears...also very pricey for SCP...

Edit: I just did a search...most other suppliers are about the same price...

For repairing the motors, all I needed were the three pins and grease. The gear in both of mine looked fine.

You could argue that Delrin isn't the safest material to use since those pins are supposed to break so your fingers don't get pinched, but what are your fingers doing in the track anyway while the window motor is in operation?

Last edited:
Are you talking about the actual window regulator or just the power window motor? The regulator is the scissor mechanism that attaches to the window and the power window motor operates. From your description up above it sounds like you just need to replace the three main drive gear pins in the motor.

I think I ordered a set of 24 of those pins off of ebay a couple of years ago since I have so many Ford products it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Are you talking about the actual window regulator or just the power window motor? The regulator is the scissor mechanism that attaches to the window and the power window motor operates. From your description up above it sounds like you just need to replace the three main drive gear pins in the motor.

I think I'm just needing the gear and the buttons, at least that's what I ordered.

"73 ford Torino" Those three pucks and gear have been in production for 50+ years...

"73 ford Torino" Those three pucks and gear have been in production for 50+ years...

Probably longer than that, 73 torino is just one year in the 72-79 generation, and a lot of aspects of that generation of “midsize” cars originated on the 65 Galaxie line, it’s probably closer to 60 years

I remember the old cars were reported to cut kids heads off, lol. Seems now they were the same as these. I did manage to keep my sis quiet for an entire drive by rolling the window up with her yelling parts outside, lol. She was nicer to me after that, lol. I was maybe 5?

Well, I have the window motor out now and disassembled. I'll be damned if I can get those 3 pucks back in to place. Tried using a hose clamp to hold them in place and press them in. Nope. Couldn't quite the screw of the clamp to sit inside the window housing so that was a fail? How is it SUPPOSED to be done?

Hey, i just read your post about the alignment shop and feel your pain, they often don't know and don't take pride in their work. However, hopefully i can be a little help as I rebuilt my window motor last summer. You are right in that its tough as hell to get all the buttons in the gear, it is supposed to be that hard, when I did it, I had my dad help hold the "top"? i cant remember what it exactly was but then i aligned all three buttons and when they were all just barely pointing in correctly, I had my dad basically put a ton of pressure straight down to get them all in, and it worked. So try having a helper if possible and get all three kinda lined up with the bottoms ready to go in and then when it gets pushed down they all go in. Hope that helps

Well, I have the window motor out now and disassembled. I'll be damned if I can get those 3 pucks back in to place. Tried using a hose clamp to hold them in place and press them in. Nope. Couldn't quite the screw of the clamp to sit inside the window housing so that was a fail? How is it SUPPOSED to be done?
They are usually a very snug fit. I cannot recall if I install the large main gear and then press the three little plugs into place or if I stick the plugs into place with grease and then press the large main gear into place. What I do know is I've never been able to install them both into the housing at the same time. It takes a little bit of force, but you shouldn't need a 20 ton press.

They are usually a very snug fit. I cannot recall if I install the large main gear and then press the three little plugs into place or if I stick the plugs into place with grease and then press the large main gear into place. What I do know is I've never been able to install them both into the housing at the same time. It takes a little bit of force, but you shouldn't need a 20 ton press.
Thank you! This worked for me! I put some grease on the buttons to hold them in, then I placed the metal gear thing in the middle, pushing the buttons to the outside while carefully putting it in to my vise. It did indeed take a bunch of pressure and just when I thought the gear might break, I heard a small "pop" and they slid in the rest of the way fairly easily! I appreciate the tip!

I need another rebuild kit. Can someone verify that the Dorman 74409 is the correct kit?