Armrest Support (to prevent sagging)

1997ThunderbirdLXV6

Seasoned Veteran Poster
Country flag
Simple solution to prevent a sagging armrest. Works in conjunction with the otherwise useless armrest cupholder. Provides full-length support. Made from wood sheet, approx. 1/4" thick.

20230117_165532.jpg20230118_115018.jpg

My problem is the vinyl has stiffened up and the foam pad is lifting. It's all still intact, but it doesn't look normal. I'm not sure how to go about fixing it, since I don't think glue will hold that back down in place (it isn't separating from the actual base plate, but it's kinda bending upwards).

@Torque
Your best bet is to find a good armrest and replace yours. I'm not sure if anyone has been successful repairing a warped unit.

What color do you need?

The foam/vinyl is curving upward along the length, progressively worse as it gets nearer the latch.
The area where it starts to wrap down toward the driver, about 2" from end inward toward the middle, is rock hard, due to skin heat/oils drying out the plasticizers, I presume. I could replace the foam and wrap, but I did that once on a different old car long ago and didn't like the aesthetics. I'm not an upholstery guy.

armrest1.jpg
armrest2.jpg
armrest3.jpg
armrest4.jpg

Yeah, it's saddle. I don't remember for sure, but I think the dark interior parts are medium graphite color code.