Best non stock rear shock options

97teebs

1st Gear Poster
Vehicle Details
1997 Thunderbird Lx 4.6 Auto
Country flag
Looking for something a little better than stock but not as heavy duty as coil overs. It has stock Monroe struts (front) Monroe shocks (rear) did all 4 at the same time and fronts feel fine rear feels like a 1970's hoopty.

I agree with racecougar. Bilsteins are an excellent choice, Personally I like the B8’s. They are a bit stiffer than the B6.

The konis are rebound adjustable, so you can match whatever front shocks you get. It's more important than you think.

Not looking for softer or stiffer just something that last better than monroe

It's ok if it's firmer but not trying to make a crazy performance upgrade it's a daily driven car so I'd like to not change shocks every few years

Not looking for softer or stiffer just something that last better than monroe
I’m 99% certain that KONI shocks for these cars are no longer available. “Better than Monroe” your choices are the Bilsteins or the ludicrously expensive A1-A’s. As far as I know there are no other choices.

Anything new for the front these days? Rockauto shows that both the Monroe Monro-Matic and OE spectrum are discontinued. Last I recall KYB was as well.
Seems like the fronts are getting even harder to find.

BTW this is for my 97 lx not my 90 sc

The koni's for the rear for the vert mustangs with irs are the best you can get; they're adjustable, so you can match them to whatever you can get for the front.