Canyon Carving 101 - Hot Rod Performance Series - Suspension, Tire & Wheel

Missing page 66 but I will find it. Hell I still have a small case of the magazines when I helped work on the article all those years ago. The missing page has references to Bill and I. I was the guy who developed the large bars working with ADDCO industries. I have the prototype type 1 3/8" bars on my Cougar. My installation instructions were included in the ADDCO bars box.

Mark

The 1 3/8" bars made these cars a slot car.

My car is so low to the ground but never bottoms out. The new 255-50-17s work great. I had to grind the lower corner of the AP-Racing calipers to get them to fit within the wheel.

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Added page 66 to the article. Thanks so much Mark.

I went with the 1-1/4" ADDCO bar on the back of mine. Still running the stock bar up front.

I have the 1 3/8" front and rear as well as 2 of my buddies. We all love them, definitely makes a huge difference and eliminates almost all body roll. I have 265/40/18 continental extreme contact sport tires up front and I can't get them to break loose, ass end will come around before that...

I have 1 1/4 bars all around and most definitely a big difference. I’d like to get the 3/8 up front some day. But these LA roads suck cheecks. How are yours guys roads?

I have 1 1/4 bars all around and most definitely a big difference. I’d like to get the 3/8 up front some day. But these LA roads suck cheecks. How are yours guys roads?
NC has great roads.

Go to San Berdoo and compare :LOL:

Plenty of good roads up here in Norcal. 😉

One of my favorite roads is about 2 miles from here, goes from my town to Oakdale, and if you screw up, you won't be found for a while, lol. If you fuck up bad enough, you can end up upside down, on the railroad tracks, 1500 feet off a mountain. Back in the 80's I had a truck pass me going up; they took out 1 section of guardrail, and made it to the tracks, just in front of a 100 car coal train, coming down the mountain. :( There are a couple of decreasing radial turns that are vicious. Over toward NC there's the dragon, more than a few people have died on that one.
Famous quote from a state trooper, when I was recovering a rental Harley that went off the second curve "You never pick up a helmet the same way after you pick up one with a head still in it!" I'll take his word for it, lol.

Last edited:
Had a buddy that lost it on dragon. His rear tire hit the paint stripe and kicked out from under him. Careened across the road and ended up on a ledge just before the drop. He was really lucky that time.
I’d still like to drive the tail.

I used to go help a buddy recover bikes off the dragon; I had climbing gear back then. This shop he worked for did rentals, and people would fly in and destroy insured bikes, lol. Has to be a good deal, if you live, and can afford it, lol.

I have a buddy that acquired the nickname 'Crash' because he slid out his front tire after hitting the stripe on a street, lol. He wasn't doing anything fast, or a hard curve, he just went down for no reason. :) We all assumed he was marking up his new leathers, lol.

I used to live on the Dragon just north of the Foothills Parkway intersection. Without sounding cocky, I've probably driven it more times than anyone on this site. There was a time where I had to drive it into NC and back for work every day. My Fusion has put cars and drivers with triple the power to shame on simply because of my time living and commuting on the road.

A4FDA8A2-CE30-48E1-939D-82FE7B8F4BD6.jpeg

Currently the road surface is old and pockmarked. Too many people who think they are the Stig have taken it over and ruined it. Add to that the Harley riders who think the rules don't apply to them as they cross the double yellow between Deals Gap and Smokey Mountain H-D and run others off the road. Long story short, it sucks now and it's not going to get any better until it quits being an internet sensation.

Then on top of that you've got the clueless people who won't pull off and let the Stigs pass, which results in road rage. Very recently, one of these incidents resulted in someone getting shot. Since then, THP and BCSO have began busting anyone going over the 30mph speed limit without exceptions.

Famous quote from a state trooper, when I was recovering a rental Harley that went off the second curve "You never pick up a helmet the same way after you pick up one with a head still in it!" I'll take his word for it, lol.
I have a photo that I took as part of my line of work that confirms this quote. I won't share it on here for obvious reasons.

That's not anywhere near what I've seen, that idiot just posted his stupidity. John, I worked with a mech e that lived at the bottom of that hill, I'll be damned If I can remember his name. He was the guy that worked on the tocata airbags that are exploding. He mentioned it in a meeting, that the got sued, and when he mentioned ammonium nitrate, I asked, "how did you dessicate it?and he gave me that look, I knew those guys shouldn't have been anywhere near explosives. AN is very hygroscopic Water, even if it's inside another molecule, expands 1600x going from 0 c to 100c. Our entire power grid is built on that principle, as were old locomotives, steam ships... When you heat it to plasma, it expands even more. A steam explosion is what tore chernobyl to pieces. The fuel went prompt critical, and the fuel basically turned into a plasma which then hit the reactor pool: Boom.