Certified Emission Repair Technician

Thankfully, our state doesn't do emissions.

It's nerve wracking as a customer. You sit there and idle for a long time. There has been more than one occasion that a CEL comes on a few hours or days after I pass. Then you pay hundreds of dollars so that they can maintain the roads that people shred up with studded tires after a week of inclement weather. Better than salt, true.

One nice thing I like about it, was there were records of a car having been driven (at least once) on the car fax because registration renewal gets recorded

An old tip for passing a sniff test. Toss in two bottles of "heat" or some other alcohol based winter additive into tge fuel tand and then block the radiator 75% with a peice of cardboard. This all makes the burn hotter and helps burn away the bad emissions. This honestly works extremely well.

Mark

Thankfully, our state doesn't do emissions.
Some counties do. My parents live out in west Tennessee and have to do an OBD2 check annually. When we lived in Rutherford county, they still sniffed the tailpipe. Pretty sure Hamilton county still sniffs (last I checked). Loudon is nice, no smog tests or wheel taxes.

One nice thing I like about it, was there were records of a car having been driven (at least once) on the car fax because registration renewal gets recorded
Agreed. My Bird was owned since new in Virginia. I've got solid proof that the mileage is actual and the odometer was never frozen for any extended amount of time.

An old tip for passing a sniff test. Toss in two bottles of "heat" or some other alcohol based winter additive into tge fuel tand and then block the radiator 75% with a peice of cardboard. This all makes the burn hotter and helps burn away the bad emissions. This honestly works extremely well.
I can neither conform nor deny your claims. But I will say that I quit taking a heavy blanket to the sniffer when NC phased out emissions tests for pre-OBD2 vehicles in the mid-2000's. :rofl:

Fuckit; I rebared the cats out when they clogged in the red car.Our local shop has no issues installing the mbs kits with no cats.