Console top removal

Stanley

1st Gear Poster
Vehicle Details
1997 Thunderbird 4.6L V8
Country flag
Is there a video or image guide to removing the 1997 Thunderbird cup holder? Mine is making an incredibly annoying squeak and I want to get under there to see about solving it, without damaging the precious thing.

Is there a video or image guide to removing the 1997 Thunderbird cup holder? Mine is making an incredibly annoying squeak and I want to get under there to see about solving it, without damaging the precious thing.

There are two phillips head screws behind the top that are visible when you open the lid, with those removed it's simply snapped into the console. Use your fingers and slide them back to front under the seams and the clips will pop one by one as you reach the dash, there's two on each side. From there it comes out, you have to move the shifter back too.

I've found the coin holders are a little noisy, but it also helps to line the edges of the console where they contact (only where it wont be visible) with felt tape.

There are two phillips head screws behind the top that are visible when you open the lid, with those removed it's simply snapped into the console. Use your fingers and slide them back to front under the seams and the clips will pop one by one as you reach the dash, there's two on each side. From there it comes out, you have to move the shifter back too.

That did the trick. Thanks!

I have a97 one, that's going into the red cougar, but I haven't installed it yet. There's a tube to the heater vents on the back of the console that is unique to the 97, the 96 one won't fit under it.

I have a97 one, that's going into the red cougar, but I haven't installed it yet. There's a tube to the heater vents on the back of the console that is unique to the 97, the 96 one won't fit under it.

That's why any junkyards crawlers should always pick up the duct if they pick up the cupholder.

Alternatively, some folks just cut a piece out of the pre-97 duct. Those vents only work in "FLOOR" if I remember correctly, and very little air comes out of there anyway.

Those 97 ducts are pretty easy to find.

I've found the coin holders are a little noisy, but it also helps to line the edges of the console where they contact (only where it wont be visible) with felt tape.
So is it really possible to cut down the air tube and have it still function at a reduced capacity when changing to the cupholder top on an earlier model?

So is it really possible to cut down the air tube and have it still function at a reduced capacity when changing to the cupholder top on an earlier model?

Sure, it's basically just a notch you'd have to cut into it, then to keep airflow from pouring into the console just cover/shape it with duct tape. Not pretty, but it's out of sight out of mind

Sure, it's basically just a notch you'd have to cut into it, then to keep airflow from pouring into the console just cover/shape it with duct tape. Not pretty, but it's out of sight out of mind

True, but...the '97 ducts are easy find and easy to install.

True, but...the '97 ducts are easy find and easy to install.

Yeah but if you bought a top online and didn't get the airtube with it it's a perfectly acceptable way to make it work. They're not easy to find around here anymore, I found 2 MN12s in the greater Chicago area junkyards this year!

(ironically both 97s I more ironically specifically pulled consoles from, but that's beside the point lol)