Crack or Casting?

I use the Magnaflux stuff all the time. Very effective at finding cracks.

Glad to see the cam bore is visually clear. Great mirror pictures BTW! :thumbsup:

Jeez, what do you use to apply penetrant, a fire hose? :) I've seen a hydro generator torn down, and nuke stuff gets inspected way harder. I used to make electronics for nuclear reactors, and you could trace every part back to the raw materials . We had a weird detector problem that we traced to a beryllium copper lid on a chip, making a silver leaded component radioactive. I used to run this one test while we went to lunch, and I set the room to run the test every 30 minutes. I looked at the data, went back to the office and stuck my head into my bosses office, and asked what has a 25 minute half life? :) I remembered the dimes that the Atomic Museum in Oak ridge used to make. They ran a silver dime thru the machine, put it in a case, and it was radioactive for a half hour.
I also knew how it worked,
So I looked good for solving that Physics problem, lol. Not my job, at the time. :)
Ron,How much do those bearing caps weigh? You know, in one of my more unused certifications, I'c certified to run a 10 and 20 ton bridge crane. :) And ship nuke stuff. lol. You'd be amazed what can ship on a commercial airliner... No fissile materials, but grenades are cool; the pin counts as a 'safety device.'

Jeez, what do you use to apply penetrant, a fire hose? :) I've seen a hydro generator torn down, and nuke stuff gets inspected way harder. I used to make electronics for nuclear reactors, and you could trace every part back to the raw materials . We had a weird detector problem that we traced to a beryllium copper lid on a chip, making a silver leaded component radioactive. I used to run this one test while we went to lunch, and I set the room to run the test every 30 minutes. I looked at the data, went back to the office and stuck my head into my bosses office, and asked what has a 25 minute half life? :) I remembered the dimes that the Atomic Museum in Oak ridge used to make. They ran a silver dime thru the machine, put it in a case, and it was radioactive for a half hour.
I also knew how it worked,
So I looked good for solving that Physics problem, lol. Not my job, at the time. :)
Ron, How much do those bearing caps weigh? You know, in one of my more unused certifications, I'm certified to run a 10 and 20 ton bridge crane. :) And ship nuke stuff. lol. You'd be amazed what can ship on a commercial airliner... No fissile materials, but grenades are cool; the pin counts as a 'safety device.'

Rough guess, 500 to 700 lbs. per bearing half. The bearing caps are less, maybe 250 to 300 lbs. Millwrights do the rigging and material handeling I just do the inspecting so, I'm not up to speed on the exact weights.

Background: Greg and I used to work for the same company in the same line of work. Greg moved on and is now basically retired. I'm still grinding it out until I can retire. A few more years like this year in the market and I'll have Fuck You money and will be able to retire early.

The first time I saw a "slug Wrench" used by an ironworker, I realized one of those rules to live by: Never start a fistfight with a Drummer, a boxer, or an iron worker. It will not end well, lol. I got up once at a bar, because a couple of guys were really bugging a cute blonde girl; I started to walk over, and my buddy the bartender gives me the 'watch this' sign, and she proceeds to wipe the floor with these two gorillas. Then about 10 minutes later, did a 30 minute set of zeppelin songs. :) I found out later, she was a militant Lesbian, lol. Our drummer was too, but she didn't get a lot of guys hitting on her, lol. She was as big as I was, lol.

You can make any wrench a slug or striking wrench .. all it takes is a hammer. 😉

Iron workers aren't the brightest of the trades either. I once hired a guy to work with me at NASA, during the course of a conversation, he mentioned he used to be an Iron worker, I jokingly said "well that explains a lot" .. which got him all fired up wanting to fight me. He was removed from the jobsite to never return shortly after that. 🤣

LOL!
When I say slug wrench, it fits over a huge nut, and is turned by guys with huge sledgehammers. I'd never seen a bolt that big, at the time. Probably a 2.5" bolt. Head must've been 5" or more. It was holding a bearing cap as tall as I am. About 20 of them!

Biggest flange nuts I've seen were turned by hydraulic torque wrench. 🤔

Then again, I'm just a pipe fitter .. I don't set equipment like that, just build off it.

I used to have a hydraulic torque wrench, it was part of a greenlee set we had. I used it to punch holes mostly. The phd's used it to break tools. :) Nothing leaves a mark on your shin, like the end of that tool, Breaking off under god knows how much pressure, hitting you in the shin, lol. Dude was trying to cut a db25 connector hole in a piece of tempered steel, 1/2" thick. :facepalm: