Q: So what games are you folks playing right now?

gunn

4th Gear Poster
Vehicle Details
95 T-bird with 5.0and m5r2 swap for lemons
Country flag
Tis the season where lots of people have a little extra time with the family or just to chill. In our downtime at my MlL's my son and I are playing some games. He's nine so we play lots of couch co-op type games together. What are you playing and how are you doing it?
Here's our current pics:

Together - Couch Co-Op is our favorite type: Right now, we play a lot of Duck Game (fast paced, game involving a bunch of retropixel ducks shooting each other with a variety of guns) and Very Very Valet (you valet park cars in all sorts of crazy ways). Both cost <$10 on the PC and well worth it (would easily run on a Switch).

Kid by Himself @ Home: He still likes minecraft but also really liked Wobble Dogs, a game where you breed synthetic dogs by traits into all sorts of wierd creatures.

Kid while Travelling: I dunno if anyone still plays Pokemon Go but my kid enjoys it. Its a good way to keep him walking places. If we need to distact him somewhere and he's less mobile (say in the car for a long ride), an old Pokemon game (like Emerald from the GBA) running on the Miyoo Mini Plus has been entertaining for him as well despite the primitive graphics.

Me by Myself @ Home: I recently finished up Deliver us Mars, a pretty, story driven 3rd person puzzle game that wasn't very hard. i think this one came for free from Epic Games and plays well on GeForce Now so good for travelling. Interesting story but not very challenging. Easy game to play so nice and relaxing. After that, I booted up Wolfenstein: The Old Blood (also on GeForce Now using my laptop as the client). The loud Saves told me that I last saved the game in 2016 (which my records show I picked it up for $6.59). I think It got it after getting its sequel The New Order for free and beating it. ToB is still pretty good looking but definitely feels like slog sometimes: you enter an area, sneak around trying to eliminate commanders. If/When you mess up, all hell breaks loose so you just open up with all the guns you are carrying around. You then repeat this for the next area. The one funny thing I've found is that the original Wolfenstein 3D levels are replayable in all their classic graphics (but with yourself in your modern form) as fever dreams because someone who causes this much death and destruction (even to shitty occult Nazis) is carrying around some baggage. Not 100% sure I'll finish it.

I’m a pretty avid chess player. I was just working out some chess puzzles when I saw this thread.

I’m a pretty avid chess player. I was just working out some chess puzzles when I saw this thread.
My son has gotten really into chess lately. I’m a halfway decent chess player, and at 10 years old, he’s already giving me a run for my money! Hopefully he keeps up with it! He is also into Minecraft, and among other things I got him a Minecraft chess set for Christmas, so I’m sure we’ll be playing some later today.

For video games, I stick with the classics! I still have my original NES hooked up. We’ve also been reliving my youth with Goldeneye on N64!

We also do a lot of board games. Our favorites lately are Ticket to Ride, and Splendor. Both are pretty easy to learn, not too long, and are fun for everyone.

Maybe we should have a periodic lichess event. I am a low rank but happy to play. I invested in a nice wooden set with 3.5" weighted pieces. Of course, nobody wants to play so at least its a good decorative piece. I have an old pic lying around

1703526536913.png

Cities Skylines 2 is out now and I am in the camp of Colossal Order did not fail us. I think its great and am looking forward to all the tweaks they and the community will carry out throughout the years. A decent successor of the Sim City games. Depending on how you want to play, the 'game' is either very easy or very difficult

1703527720635.png

I've been on the fence about buying this game for a while now (i have enough games in my backlog I really didn't want to spend money for a game I won't play for a while) and it looks like my procrastination has paid off
Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice edition (aka all the DLC + remastered) is free from epic games

Family games .. ( me, wife and youngest son on Xbox )

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 / open world Zombies / Warzone

Halo Infinite multi-player Slayer / infection / firefight

Destiny 2 / story missions / strikes / crucible

Forza Motorsport / Forza Horizon

My youngest son has been busy with the Oculus Rift - FNAF, Gorilla Tag, etc.

Daughter been playing Mortal Kombat X, Fortnite and Overwatch on PC

Oldest son plays Star Wars Battlefront 2 on occasion.

🤔

Maybe we should have a periodic lichess event. I am a low rank but happy to play. I invested in a nice wooden set with 3.5" weighted pieces. Of course, nobody wants to play so at least its a good decorative piece. I have an old pic lying around

View attachment 2806
Nice set!
What is your username on lichess? Mine is the same as on here, MadMikeyL. If you want to send a correspondence game request.

Will do, MargoVanWallet. Lol long story

If you like shooters there is a free game out now that is called The Finals that is a lot of fun. 3v3 fast-paced, but I'd like to describe it as the Mario party of shooters. That's my coop recommend. single-player star was Jedi fallen order, or jedi survivor is absolutely fantastic.

Last edited:
Right now right now? I seem to just keep various rockstar titles in circulation when I’m in the mood, GTA IV and DLCs, red dead redemption/undead nightmare RDR2, LA Noire, but for pure nostalgia I’ll play the Donkey Kong Country games on my SNES, 2 and 3 being my favorite.

Last new(to me) games I started playing though were Mafia Definitive edition and Mafia II. Been thinking about getting III but heard mixed reviews and it’s overpriced on PSN if it does suck. I absolutely love II though.

GTA5 (PS4) and iRacing (PC) is about all I have time for these days.

A totalled mn12 with the front and rear cut off, both side controls mounted with full pedal kits, fast airbags on all 4 corners, and you could make a hellacious gaming rig/Driving simulator!!

I've been (re)playing Jane's Fleet Command. It's 25 years old but the campaign scenarios are still somehow eerily realistic compared to the modern political landscape.

Forza 5 and Snow Runner.

Snow runner is a off-road utility truck game. Pretty unforgiving. But you get to haul some cool stuff. IMG_20231201_180611842_HDR~2.jpgIMG_20231207_213837086~2.jpg

Picked up a used copy of Uncharted 4, only about an hour into it but I’m liking it!

Little excited for the re-release of a texture improved Tomb Raider 1, 2, 3

Chess. Here's a puzzle for anyone who plays. White to play.

What's the best move? I found it in under a minute.

Best Move.png

Queen G5?

Does this puzzle have more moves than one?

Anna Cramling, eh? Any Dina Belenkaya fans here????????????? I love how much she trash talks the opponents and eventually loses. Favorite.

Queen G5?

Does this puzzle have more moves than one?

Anna Cramling, eh? Any Dina Belenkaya fans here????????????? I love how much she trash talks the opponents and eventually loses. Favorite.

Yes. Qg5 is the winning move. Yes, Anna is a great player, a real sweet person, and easy on the eyes too.

Yes. In no particular order: fan of Ding, Nepo, Fabiano, Hikaru, Levey (Gotham Chess), Magnus of course, all the current greats except for Hans Niemann. I Really enjoy watching Hikaru play. He's amazing.

Among the women, Dina Belenkaya (who I initially thought you meant Ding Liren) is an interesting person. She's trying to be like Anna IMHO. I'd rather watch either of them play than the Botez sisters. They annoy the crap outta me.

I dont watch Anna enough to understand the similarity... a bit too cheery for me but still would be fun to lose against

1705084883619.png

Good question. I know they remade 1, but this time it seems they're keeping the maps and surfaces the same. There's rumors of an improved controls option, which is odd because they were fine in 2 and 3. I guess its basically a boob job, even though the original breasts are rumored to have inspired the cyber truck

I remember uniboob raider

I never really liked remakes or remasters in any form of product or media, if I wanted to relive the old experience I remember I’ll just fire up my old console and play the old game the way the developers intended. I wouldn’t necessarily mind if some games were made to look less upscaled and crappy when used with a modern TV but I don’t want to see the original art direction fucked with and tinkered. I really hate how they remove the fog of remastered N64/PS1/PS2 era games, yeah it was a band aid for lack of draw distance but it often added literal atmosphere to them.