Q: What are you watching (TV/Streaming/Movies) and want to recommend?

gunn

4th Gear Poster
Vehicle Details
95 T-bird with 5.0and m5r2 swap for lemons
Country flag
We have a listening thread and a games thread but it seems like our movies thread was only for 2023 and died in December so I figured why not start a perennial thread on this topic.

Here's what I've recently watched and would recommend you watch/skip

The Brothers Sun(Netflix)
8ep series starring Michelle Yeoh and someone who looks like a young Ken Jeong and someone who looks like a better looking David Choe (the artist who made $$$ selling some street art to zuckerberg for FB stock pre-IPO and recently in Beef). Well made, decently acted series and fairly violent series about a Triad family under attack. Less game of thrones and more bloody action w/ some humor elements.

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Fate
HF is old and The Crystal Skull was so bad it made me angry so I didn't expect much here. With that opinion going in, I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't HATE this movie. Sad part is that it felt like it ran out of gas. Just as it was getting good, it ends. Did manage to hit all the feels -- except maybe bringing Short Round back. Not the worst ending for the series but I'm glad its done and Shia Lebouf sucked so much noone is likely to give Mutt Williams a sequel. Maybe they'll give Helena Shaw a series; i'd watch that but I think they've run out of Nazis (the organized kind who are snappy dressers, not the Meal Team Six types who want to start an insurgency) by the 70s in the Indiana Jones world.

Travelers (Netflix)
What if the future fucked up so much that they figured the best way to fix things is to send personalities into the past to take over bodies of people who were about to die? With information and skills from the future, they could try to shape the future to make it better. The Series ran for 3 seasons and while I could see the story continuing, it was a fitting enough and satisfying enough end. Well made TV. Biggest gripe: it doesn't look like a hugely expensive show to film (it takes place in the present and I guess they filmed in the pacific northwest - likely Vancouver standing in for some placein Washington) but they had to cut budgets somewhere and some of the gun choices (a Keltec Sub 2000 as a "sniper rifle") were pretty goddamned laughable.

Phineas and Ferb (4 seasons)
As far as a kids show goes, most are pretty damned annoying. This one is amusing enough to watch with my kid. Most hilarious tie-in: P&F have a pet Platypus named Perry who is a secret crime fighter. A gun company, Stealth Arms, made a boutique 1911 Platypus pistol colored just like the cartoon character named "Perry The"

Maybe Watch if you have nothing Better to do

For All Mankind - Season 4 (ATV)

Feels like the season where they jump the shark. I'll still watch Season 5 to see a view of how mankind could end up.... but I won't eagerly anticipate it.

The Family Plan (ATV)
I like marky mark in action movies. Its not bad, its just not great.

Fubar (series Netflix)
Arnold Schwarzenegger in a series not unlike remake of True Lies 20 years later (but not a direct sequel). Has its humorous moments but it's not GREAT. Just OK.

Boy and the Heron (Theaters)
Yeah, I like anime. yes, I like Studio Ghibli (My Neighbor Totoro, Princess Mononoke, Howls Moving Castle). This is no Princess Mononoke. I saw it with my kid in the theater (first movie i've seen in a theater since - seriously - Fury Road). Observations:
- It's pretty but I wasn't nearly stoned enough to love this movie. Its weird. I know it pulls a lot from Japanese folklore but its still straight bizarre.
- Im pretty much over movies in theaters now (people are loud).
- Maybe I'm a frog that's already been poached but the ticket costs and food costs don't feel as bad as I rmember.

No Hard Feelings
I like Jennifer Lawrence. Has its comic moments, feels like a throwback to raunchy comedies like Wedding Crashers but in no way can it be considered to be good.

Stuff to Skip
I watched a lot of trash so now you don't need to

Badland Hunters (Netflix)
Post apocalypic korea starring a big boy as an action hero type (which is kind of refreshing). Too bad its not good

Love and Monsters (Netflix)
I was hoping for something like Zombieland but its not nearly as funny.

85 South: Ghetto Legends (netflix)
I thought it would be a decent backgrounder like classic Def Jam. Instead its three mediocre black comedians doing improv. Total snore.

Morbius (Netflix)
yeah, I heard it was bad. Turns out they were right. Noone cares if Leto turns into a vampire. He just comes across as a strung out goth who goes from being crippled to buff (kinda like Requim for a Dream from 20 years earlier but backwards)

Squid Game Reality show (Netflix)
You can watch this in fast forward. Seems like something more fun to play than to watch

Black Adam (Netflix)
Shazzam with the Rock. Tries to be edgier. Just as lame.

Shazam! Fury of the Gods (Netflix)
I don't know why anyone greenlit a sequel here. I don't know why I watched it.

Gamer
I like Gerard Butler and Michael Hall (Dexter). This "what if life was a video game" movie had no point.

Hidden Strike (NF)

John Cena and Jackie Chan can't save this movie of set piece battles

The Mother
JLO as an action here. Still boring

Just finished Griselda on Netflix, and I didnt hate it.

I didn’t like dial of destiny, too much CGI splatter like most modern movies, zero subtlety, and I don’t want to sound agist but I just don’t like old man Indiana Jones. I never liked that the Indiana Jones series turned into Indiana Jones vs. the Nazis(or commies in CS). Everybody loves Last Crusade because Sean Connery is excellent in it but really the plot is literally just a watered down remake of Raiders, without him it would be a solid #3 in the series. Temple of Doom may be a tad culturally insensitive at times but the Thuggie was at least an interesting new foe, to me that should be the template of all Indiana Jones movies - adventurer finds himself in a new adventure. The now 0/2 attempt at rebooting the Raiders rather than rebooting the character just created more disposable Disney clutter in a once great trilogy

I'll second Gunn's opinion about the new Indy. I didn't see it in theaters, read the widely panned reviews and only watched it/added it to the shelf a few weeks ago. I was pleasantly surprised by it. Yeah it was predictable but it was fun. It's no Raiders but the wife and I still found it way better than Crystal Skull.

Wife "made me" watch the first season of Spy×Family over the last week and it was enjoyable. I'm also looking forward to the re-release of Spice and Wolf (if only because they might actually continue the story arc past the first few books?) and the next batch of Re:Zero.

We have a toddler so 90% of our TV viewing consists of Bluey and Futurama.

Even at the racetrack.

FD4FEBFE-C44D-4A80-836D-ECE721B48B38.jpeg

Huge fan of historical movies and documentaries so when I saw the traier for this one I was super stoked.

The soundtrack is amazing and I'm really enjoying it in my Dolby ATMOS equipped 7.2.4 home theater!

Last edited:
Bender is my hero! I bought Oppenheimer; it was good. Def a chick flick, tho.

Here's another one to skip

If you loved Initial D, the story of a tofu delivery boy and how he learns to dominate the drift scene in rural Japan with an underpowered corolla set to a Eurobeat soundtrack, you might be curious about the authors new series: MF Ghost.
Set 20+ years later in a world where cars are mostly autonomous and EV, there's a streamed racing series where hopped up gas powered street cars from the US/Japan/Europe compete in a racing series on closed off street/mtn urban/rural courses. Porsches vs. Ferraris vs Lambos vs an R35 GTR, some other random cars like a Alpine A110 and Alfa 4c competing with (of course) a brilliant driver in an GT86. Sounds great right? Well, it sucks (both the manga and the anime)
- Its waay too slow. Entire episodes take place over the course of a few turns.
- Other shit is straight creepy: the camera man and some drivers are horning after a 17yr old "race girl" and one driver "only dates 17yr olds".
- The idea that even with a brilliant driver, an Toyota GT86, even with better tires, can compete with some of the other cars is straight up laughable
- Nothing much happens. GT86 driver shows brilliance. GT86 driver improves car. Maybe GT86 driver becomes a fan favorite. Noone GAF.

Would I watch a real racing series like this with chase drones? Yeah, probably.
Does this anime merit watching? Nope.

My aunt (rest in peace, you're the best) loved the Initial D series and showed it to me long ago. I tried watching it recently but I really struggle to understand what episodes are original and what's been redone, sequeled, sequenced, whatever. The original still-water-in-a-cup theme of the show was memorable, a cool contrast vs the water cup in jurassic park

My aunt (rest in peace, you're the best) loved the Initial D series and showed it to me long ago. I tried watching it recently but I really struggle to understand what episodes are original and what's been redone, sequeled, sequenced, whatever. The original still-water-in-a-cup theme of the show was memorable, a cool contrast vs the water cup in jurassic park
Initial D is silly, repetitive, and the results of every race is almost always predictable.
The "slice of life" of some young folks in Japan is kind of interesting. I won't argue that its realistic (only one family -- the brothers whose parents own a hospital -- have the kind of cash to roll in the metal/mods they have in these surburban/rural japanese settings) but some topics being touched on -- one of the main characters love interests gets involved in (Enjo Kosai - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enjo_kōsai) is real and kinda trippy to see depicted.

I think the series can be summarized as follows:
- Young kid is illegally taught how to drive so he can deliver tofu for his single dad before school because dad is a lazy drunk.
- Kid learns to drift so he can get back to bed quicky and notfuck up the tofu.
- Amateur street racers drive around challenging each other and find out about this guy. Takumi's HS friends rope him him into driving against a challenger.
- Kid learns to beat increasingly more and more impressive cars. Becomes the best of his prefecture (Gunma). In the process, kid learns to enjoy driving and winning
- His biggest challenger, the rich boys who are bankrolled by their daddy, decide to hatch a plan to show that their prefectures drivers are the best in japan. Project D begins and they challenge the best from all other prefectures. Competition gets even crazier and they start tuning both the AE86 as well as his teammate (an FD Supra). Key upgrades on the AE86 was a racing engine from a Formula Atlantic. Side comment: I once saw an AE86 in SF which had a Hasselgren tuned engine (they were the builders for Formula Atlantic).
- Takumi's final challenger is another kid, driving the same car, and started at a similar age (apparently single moms are just as reckless as single dads owning tofu shops). IIRC, Takumi beats him.
- At some point, Takumi starts driving an old Impreza WRX for the deliveries. Series Fin.
- Post show, he moves to the UK and starts rally racing.

It's probably as realistic about young people's lives in Japan in the late 90s as Friends was an accurate depiction of 25 to 35-somethings living in 90s NYC (hint: they do some of the same things, but they cannot really afford the lifestyle they live).

Last edited:
Bender is my hero! I bought Oppenheimer; it was good. Def a chick flick, tho.

Oppenheimer as a chick flick? I can see where you would say that. I never thought of it that way. It was a very, very interesting take on the whole Manhattan Project. It was weird seeing the bad ass, kick ass, Angel of Verdun playing his diminutive wife. I like how they gave some time and attention to development of the explosives to create the implosion to split the atom.

AngelofVerdune.jpgAngel_of_Verdun-Alice_X_Zhang-Gicle_Digital_Print-trampt-245045o.png

I've been waiting to hear news about an Edge of Tomorrow Sequel. I'm not sure how many more years Tom Cruise can still do action stuff like Tom Cruise. Harrison Ford still made an action movie at 79 or 80, but other folks were doing the heavy lifting. In comparison the only heavy lifting Steven Seagal has done is shuffling his body around.

When I was in HS, the y-12 plant had to go put 10 feet of rip rap in the bottom of a quarry, at great expense.It turned out you could see the molds laying at the bottom of the quarry. I've been in the Calutron building. The "Mag-sector" mass spectrometers I used to build are very similar in operation.

When I was in HS, the y-12 plant had to go put 10 feet of rip rap in the bottom of a quarry, at great expense.It turned out you could see the molds laying at the bottom of the quarry. I've been in the Calutron building. The "Mag-sector" mass spectrometers I used to build are very similar in operation.
I read these words several times and had to Google what several of these references meant. At some point, I figured the next sentence would be about how you had to tie an onion on your belt because that was the style at the time.

Last edited:
It's mind blowing sometimes, but my neighbors rarely talked about anything to do with the plants. All the uranium for Hanford to make tons of plutonium; a reactor made of unenriched uranium is huge, but it makes plutonium. U238 grabs a loose neutron, and becomes Pu239. 15 lbs of Pu239 makes a nuke core; it can be used as a Nagasaki-style nuke, about 29 Kilotons TNT-equivalent. Or as Teller and Ulam found, you can light Lithium Deuteride, and get Megatons TNT equivalent. :)

Strange fact: They lost millions of pounds of mercury metal into east fork poplar creek, because of the process they used to separate Li6 from Li7.

As it turns out it doesn't matter. :) Look up Castle bravo on YT. It was only supposed to be 5 megatons; it ran away to 15 MT. The scientists shit themselves. They were too close to the fun!

Never heard of that. My neighbor did teach me how to make nitroglycerin with my chemistry set. :) Parents took the chemistry set, and redirected me toward electronics, lol.

My friend showed me this. Enjoy.

NEW GRAND TOUR! Coming February 16

I can't wait. Reading through the comments of this trailer you can just feel the love for these guys. These guys are legends. There will never be another trio like them.

I can't wait. Reading through the comments of this trailer you can just feel the love for these guys. These guys are legends. There will never be another trio like them

Guess it’s time to make another throwaway Gmail to scam another free trial lol

Oppenheimer as a chick flick? I can see where you would say that. I never thought of it that way. It was a very, very interesting take on the whole Manhattan Project. It was weird seeing the bad ass, kick ass, Angel of Verdun playing his diminutive wife. I like how they gave some time and attention to development of the explosives to create the implosion to split the atom.

Just finished watching this snoozefest. There hours of boring with a sprinkle of Florence Pughs pancake tits. 🥞

I can't wait. Reading through the comments of this trailer you can just feel the love for these guys. These guys are legends. There will never be another trio like them.

Watched it last night, some fine chap uploaded it to YouTube and I caught it before Amazon copywrite struck it. Reminded me of watching old Top Gear when people uploaded premiers to videos.streetfire.net back in the day…remember streetfire!?!?

1708403387919.jpeg

I love that their newer model old cars now have canbus/BCM issues

Also that tunnel featured has an interesting and odd history. I don’t remember how or why I found it retained this useless information on it but I recognized it instantly.

https://www.frrandp.com/2019/12/choum-tunnel-monument-to-european.html?m=1

Didn't think I would, but I've been absolutely loving Miami Vice