Leaking Rack

you can upload it to YouTube and post the link, I don’t think videos can be uploaded directly to the forum

Heres the link:

Here's a video to show what I'm experiencing. I'm holding constant pressure in each direction as I turn the wheel, you can see it kinda pop at first in each direction.

Yeah I definitely see/hear the pops, are those specific areas where the play is most pronounced? I’m still leaning u joint or loose hardware on them, I don’t think it’s the rack itself, I’d lean towards defective tie rod ends first

Did you have your steering wheel off? Because this sounds just like it does when I remove steering wheels in the junkyard: when the bolt is slightly loosened, and then the wheel moves up a bit on the shaft.

Just a thought.

Yeah I definitely see/hear the pops, are those specific areas where the play is most pronounced? I’m still leaning u joint or loose hardware on them, I don’t think it’s the rack itself, I’d lean towards defective tie rod ends first
it happens across the whole circumference of the turn, meaning anywhere the steering wheel is, not just in a certain position.

Did you have your steering wheel off? Because this sounds just like it does when I remove steering wheels in the junkyard: when the bolt is slightly loosened, and then the wheel moves up a bit on the shaft.

Just a thought.
The wheel was not removed, good thought though.

Heading out there to see and I agree with focusing on the U-joint first. I'm really hoping that things just settled in from driving a couple days and all I need to do it tighten it up.

Will report back.

The rack bolts were a little loose, tightened them up and found both ends of the u-joint loosened up. The rack side of the U-joint was where the popping was coming from. Going for a test drive now.

Been over 10 days and still feels good. Some lessons learned I'll write up below for anyone who stumbles upon this in the future:

- follow the instructions for the plastic ring seals
- I had some leaking on the high pressure side, pay very close attention to where the fluid is coming from
- I'm sure there was a leak at the -an fitting on the pump side, but also the pump itself was leaking through the shaft bearings dripping down and being behind the pully made it look like that fitting was leaking.
- It leaks more under pressure, so run it, burp it and watch before setting it back on the ground.
- those -an fittings are soft, I destroyed a couple
- in the conversion to -AN write up by XR7-4.6 he stated using a 10" section of hose, I'd go a little longer just to have more to work with
- it is a great write up
- If I do this again, I'd just go ahead and replace the power steering pump while in there, I'm pretty sure that me removing the pully is what caused the leak and of course it being like 27 years old.
- be prepared for collateral damage: my idle pully started screaming
- Have one of the elbows on hand (link below), this one broke on me and I wasted a few hours calling & driving to find one locally.

The puller I have pulls the pulley without putting any pressure on the bearings, it grips the hub, and presses against the center of the shaft. I bought it from advanced auto. Its a split piece that clamps on the hub, with a sleeve over it.
A note: If you try to start your car with a groundhog in the way of the belt, the pulley will bend as it cuts the groundhog in half. :) It makes one fuck of a noise, lol.
One of the girls I worked with heard about it, and I thought she'd be upset; She was so happy, she baked us some awesome brownies; it turns out the little bastard ate the wiring out of her car, while it was parked in the parking lot! He was probably looking for another snack, but I just happened to leave.

Last edited:
You have some crazy stories Grog...

The puller I used was of the same design; being ~27 years old and pulling it off & on about 5 times probably didn't help.