Need help with transmission issue

girdnerg

Vehicle Details
1994 Ford Thunderbird LX 4.6L V8
Country flag
Transmission is a j-modded 96.

It will just randomly come out of gear. It seems to happen above 40 mph.
If I have the cruise control on, the engine revs until I hit the brakes. I let off the gas for a couple of seconds, then the transmission re-engages and acts normally for the rest of the trip.

It does not happen every time I drive it.
Would a weak alternator cause any of this?

Any ideas?

Thanks,

4th gear going to neutral can happen with a 2002 trans in an older car, dit if it's an original, I'd say the direct clutch is failing. An alternate explanation is the mlps coming un alligned, or a wiring issue shifting it to second, which overruns a clutch, and feels like neutral until you slow down enough to re-engage the clutch. I've had both issues, lol.

This only happens with the cruise control on?

It does it with or without the cruise control being engaged.

Yes, it completely disengages like I put it in neutral.

Do you have any capability to read live data from the PCM?

If the MLPS or shift linkage is at fault or out of adjustment it might be "halfway" between N and D when you put the shifter into D, and occasionally dropping to the N side of that midpoint. Might be worth a second look, anyway.

If it were fluid starvation it would shift from 4th into 3rd. If it were the TPS or BOO switch it would unlock the converter.

I have a code reader that provides some live data. What info do I need?

First thing I checked was the fluid level, which is fine.

I'm not a very good transmission mechanic. The j-mod is the most in-depth thing I've done to a transmission.

Have you inspected the MLPS (Neutral safety switch) on the trans for any cracks? If water gets in them they can create issues. Happens frequently if the switch is old.

If you can, just monitor for the commanded gear for now. If it's dropping into neutral because of the MLPS, it will show up on your scanner. You might even catch it before you start moving.

Have you inspected the MLPS (Neutral safety switch) on the trans for any cracks? If water gets in them they can create issues. Happens frequently if the switch is old.
No I have not.
But this is what I'm asking for. I really don't know where to start and this seems like a good first step
If you can, just monitor for the commanded gear for now. If it's dropping into neutral because of the MLPS, it will show up on your scanner. You might even catch it before you start moving.
I'll do this the next time I take her out.

Thank everyone up front for your help. I'm a transmission newb.

Another thing worth checking is the wiring harness that is sitting on the transmission that plugs into everything on the trans. Age and exposure to oil will make the wiring insulation come off. Sometimes you can get a couple wires touching each other that shouldn't. Worth taking a look.

Sorry it took so long. Have had some bad weather for the past week here in Oklahoma.

Had a sunny day today and this is what I found.

IMG_20240508_160949036_HDR.jpg

Any advice on brand or does it matter?

Anything out of the ordinary when changing the MLPS?

Thanks. You guys ROCK!
Rob

Wow, I never heard of that happening! :eek:

I'd stick with a Ford replacement. The gurus can give you better advice than me, I know it needs to lined up properly.

Joe

Hey Joe.

This is the part # I found F5AZ-7A247-AA. So far the ford websites say discontinued. To late to call my local dealer today.

RockAuto has 2 that have a 3 year warranty
STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS NS95 wholesaler closeout @ $40
WVE 1S5325 regular price is $60