New to THIS forum but...

GRWeldon

3rd Gear Poster
Country flag
Good day! I'm a long-time member of TCCoA. Was away for quite a few years. When I came back to ask a question, I found a completely different forum with folks who were, should I say...less than helpful? Anyway, one of the TCCoA members I recognized told me about this forum so several months back I joined.

I bought my first Cougar in 1999. It was a 1995 V6. I didn't drive it long, I totaled it in a rear end collision, my first accident in 20 or so years. I replaced it with another 95, this time a 4.6L. It was a great car. At 233K miles I rebuilt the engine because it was leaking all over and I needed to replace a rear main seal. Since I was going to have the engine out, I figured a rebuild was in order. At 266K miles it blew up! I still have the car, offered it as a parts car for free a while back but no serious takers. I will be tearing down that engine in a few weeks to see if I can salvage the block.

Since that time I bought and repaired a 1996 Thunderbird for my daughter in 2002. Bought a 1995 Thunderbird for my son in 2005 and talked him through how to replace the transmission (with my J-modded tranny from the 95 Cougar that blew up). Then after he drove in to deep water with his Bird we replaced the engine. He finally wrecked it beyond fixing. All of the those Birds were 4.6sIn 2006 I bought a 94 SC 5-speed. I still have it but it's rough. Even rougher since last week when I put the backhoe bucket through the rear glass because a pin was missing from one of the swing cylinders. I could have stopped it but I didn't react quick enough. Still really bummed about that but I intend on fixing it. A few years ago I bought a 97 Thunderbird, which is what brought me back to TCCoA, then here.

Well, I just added another Bird to the fleet. A 97 4.6 Tbird. Less than 100K miles. It doesn't run currently, suspect a bad fuel pump. It's in fairly good condition. Interior is an 8 out of 10. The headliner is falling apart. The paint is faded and down to some small patches of primer in a few spots. Engine bay looks good and Goodyear tires have many miles left on them.

So lets see...that's 2 Cougars and 5 Thunderbirds. I don't really consider myself a newbie! Very familiar with the platform and very comfortable working on them.

Attachments

• thumbnail (4).jpg
    thumbnail (4).jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 10
  • thumbnail (3).jpg
    thumbnail (3).jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 10
  • thumbnail (1).jpg
    thumbnail (1).jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 9
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 10
Welcome! There's more birdcats than I thought

Looks nice.

Here's a stupid question, but are you sure it's the fuel pump itself and not the crash cut-off switch? I've seen enough Fords towed in for no fuel pressure that ended up just being a tripped inertia switch.

Welcome back!

I'm with John; idiots around here go thru parking lots smacking fenders to trip those sensors, as a game.

Here's a stupid question, but are you sure it's the fuel pump itself and not the crash cut-off switch? I've seen enough Fords towed in for no fuel pressure that ended up just being a tripped inertia switch.

I'm with John; idiots around here go thru parking lots smacking fenders to trip those sensors, as a game.

I am indeed sure. It's the first thing I checked BEFORE I bought it. I have a working CCRM that I'm going to swap as well before I pull the tank, just in case.

When I was younger, if I or someone I knew was lined up next to a Mustang, someone would always run out and smack the fender before the lights changed.

The inertia switch is on different spots depending on the car, on my Focus its right behind the passenger kick panel, which is an interesting place for it

Police cars were a popular target. :)
Also yes. :rofl:

The inertia switch is on different spots depending on the car, on my Focus its right behind the passenger kick panel, which is an interesting place for it
It's the same in a lot of the trucks. The early Expeditions were the same and if you had a rowdy passenger it would shut off when they kicked the panel.