Nomenclature of suspension parts

White Lincoln

2nd Gear Poster
Vehicle Details
1994 Mercury Cougar XR7 all stock
Country flag
Hey again,
I was looking up articles on line about front end rattles while driving over crappy roads. I came across a few articles that say (after everything else has been replaced) that the rattle is the "end links", but the pictures showed bushings for the strut rod. I don't know why they called them end links since end links usually refer to the tie rod "end links". Anyway, would it be safe to assume after going over the front end and not finding anything loose, worn or showing signs of "rattle fatigue" it would be last part that I have not replaced. The articles also got rather snobby about what kind of bushings to purchase, "too soft", "not OEM material", "falls apart under certain chemicals" and much more. Makes you paranoid to buy anything that you would have otherwise thought was just fine to use.

Anyone else experience the front end rattle being the strut rod bushings?

strut rod.JPG

Strut Rod 2.JPG

Endlinks in this context refer to the sway bar links, which connect the sway bar to the spindle (or in the rear, sway bar to the LCA).

The strut rod bushings going bad usually manifest (audibly) as a pop under braking.

Sway bar endlinks create a horrible rattle whenever going over anything but the smoothest surfaces. I just replaced mine on the Mark; they were about 80k in and just starting to get sloppy.

Endlinks in this context refer to the sway bar links, which connect the sway bar to the spindle (or in the rear, sway bar to the LCA).

The strut rod bushings going bad usually manifest (audibly) as a pop under braking.

Sway bar endlinks create a horrible rattle whenever going over anything but the smoothest surfaces. I just replaced mine on the Mark; they were about 80k in and just starting to get sloppy.
SOB... I replaced those back in 2018 at 150k, I only have another 9k on the car since then. I suspect they take a beating and they don't last that long, especially from eBay (gag). That makes sense about the strut rod making a pop sound because the brakes being applied puts pressure on the bushing and if bad, "pops" back into place after pressure is released. Or something to that effect.

Easy enough replacement and should probably do the strut rod bushings while I am there.

Thanks theterminator93 for the advice and explaining the issues with the car rattle. I kept thinking it was the exhaust, fuel tank not in tight, emergency brake line broke loose from a mount... glad I did some research and found it is probably in the front end.

The noise was not the end links. I went ahead and replaced the end links because I got a heck of deal from RockAuto. New TRW end links for $2. Think they are all gone now. The ones I replaced had loose rubber boots, the TRW boots are sealed. Of course, one came with the wrong bolts and the other one came with no bolts. Typical of RockAuto. Luckily, I pick up nuts and bolts while at the junk yard and found in my collection that worked perfect. I also replaced the left rack-n-pinion dust boot while I was at it. Found one on eBay for $5, new, still in the sealed bag. The old one was torn and leaking. I need to check the motor mounts and see what else might be causing the rattle. Probably something stupid too. Don't you just love working on cars! I got new hope that I can do anything on that car after watching Vice Grip Garage.

You probably got the same batch I did a couple weeks ago that I did on the Mark. :)

It's good peace of mind at least, knowing what the noise isn't. :)