P0174, P0171, P0430, P0305 codes on 97 Thunderbird LX

Ashton04

Vehicle Details
1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 4.6
Country flag
I have these codes on my 97 tbird lx and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction on diagnosis and repair. It's running rough with the misfire and will sputter and vibrate and hesitate. Any recommendations or tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Welcome. :)

Do you have any recent maintenance history? It sounds like a tune-up may be in order - clean the MAF sensor, check/replace vacuum lines, new plugs and wires, fuel filter etc.

It's running lean and the most common causes of that are a dirty MAF sensor or a vacuum leak.

Welcome. :)

Do you have any recent maintenance history? It sounds like a tune-up may be in order - clean the MAF sensor, check/replace vacuum lines, new plugs and wires, fuel filter etc.

It's running lean and the most common causes of that are a dirty MAF sensor or a vacuum leak.
Thank you!

I don't have too much as far as maintenance history but everything you noted is probably due for replacement and TLC. I'll start there and see where it gets me, thanks!

How would you check for leaks?
Smoke machine in the vacuum lines. You can usually rent one at an auto parts store.

That or light a Marlboro and suck it through a vacuum line.

Wait...so how would that help find a leak?
I mean if you have smoke in a vacuum line, you won't see it come out through a leak, because that leak sucks air in?

What am I missing?!

The smoke will billow out of the leak.

A smoke machine pumps smoke into the system. The cigarette was always my lazy quick check to avoid getting the smoke machine out. If it was a big leak, it would leak smoke out. If it wasn't, I had to get the machine out.

With the cigarette, I'd plug a vacuum line with the filter end of the cigarette while the motor runs. Once the cigarette is about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way smoked, I'd kill the motor. If there's a major leak, the smoke will start escaping from it. If not, onto the machine.

I like to use a cigar, more smoke. 😂
I'm too cheap for that. But I did use 100s. :rofl: