PI Intake Availability

KevinVarnes

2nd Gear Poster
Country flag
Just posting this here mostly so I can find it again. As we all know the actual Ford PI intakes have been out to stock/unavailable from most vendors for a reasonable price for a while now. This thread has at least one guy that seems to have some inside information on what is going on. The end of the thread leaves a glimmer of hope that they may come back into production though I'm not holding my breath. It's either this or I need to spend the next 20 years trying to piece together all of the parts to put a SVO or Bullitt intake on.

Just posting this here mostly so I can find it again. As we all know the actual Ford PI intakes have been out to stock/unavailable from most vendors for a reasonable price for a while now. This thread has at least one guy that seems to have some inside information on what is going on. The end of the thread leaves a glimmer of hope that they may come back into production though I'm not holding my breath. It's either this or I need to spend the next 20 years trying to piece together all of the parts to put a SVO or Bullitt intake on.

Great news if true! I've been having some sellers remorse lately wishing I hoarded my FRPP PI intake after the 4V swap, I didn't even sell it for much.

I have seen the latest version of the PI intake is still available (allegedly) on several sites, but it is upwards of $600. I put a new one on our '97 last December that I had purchased from Quirk Parts for $240. It seems mildly annoying that something like an intake manifold is a disposable part on an engine, but there it is.

Maybe Dorman will purchase the tooling and make up for all those years of crappy intake manifolds. I have to believe there are still a ton of people driving 2V 4.6 cars based on the aftermarket support with the cheap crappy intakes.

I'll post part numbers I've found for he various iterations this weekend when I have a chance.

Better yet American muscle or LMR should buy up the molds, if they can reproduce plastic interior trim they should have no trouble with that. $600 is obscene, I remember a time that that was what a Bullitt intake cost. When I bought my PI intake straight from the FRPP dealer it was $160!

I actually just ran into this issue with my mom’s Lincoln Town Car a couple months ago. I found one manifold on eBay for over $600, and decided instead to see what I could do to fix the original one. I basically removed the aluminum crossover, filled the broken O-ring grooves with JBWeld, sanded everything smooth, and then used right stuff for the seal in between the manifold and the crossover. In theory, it should never fail again, but we’ll see how it holds up over time.

Here are a few part numbers I've found that should be compatible. I'm sure there are minor differences between them with regards to the ports that are tapped in the front aluminum crossover and the rear heater hose nipple, but certainly nothing that couldn't be overcome.

1W7Z-9424-AAA
3W7Z-9424-AE
9W7Z-9424-A (this is the one that I see as still available in the $600 range)
1R3Z-9424-AAA (this is the "kit" I bought a couple of years ago)
M-9424-P46 (this is the part number FRPP sold the intake under)

I'm sure there are other valid part numbers as well. If you know of any then post them. If you see any errors with those listed above let me know.

The replacement I received when the original one split was 1W7E-9424-AB. Knock on some cypress wood as I am at 340K miles and drive over 120 miles every weekday with no intention of stopping.

Are any aftermarket high end intakes made anymore? I remember hearing about them over the years, but never looked into them. I already did the PI intake a few years ago so fortunately I am good for now. But if the OE PI intake is closing in on $600, might as well spend some more and get an aluminum performance one if they are still made.

Are any aftermarket high end intakes made anymore? I remember hearing about them over the years, but never looked into them. I already did the PI intake a few years ago so fortunately I am good for now. But if the OE PI intake is closing in on $600, might as well spend some more and get an aluminum performance one if they are still made.

Also this if you don’t want any low end torque lol

What you meanT about low end torque with the TRICK FLOWis you MUST add the supercharger.:biggrin:

In addition to the intakes listed above there is also the Professional Products Typhoon which I believe is not longer in production. It is all aluminum and doesn't perform any better than the stock PI if not slightly worse from what I have seen. If/when you do see them for sale they are well over $1k.

The TrickFlow looks like a nice piece, but I'm sure it presents the same parts availability issues required to install the Bullitt.

You also have to flip the alternator backwards for the Trick Flow, which results in a slightly more direct airflow path but it’s not a pretty sight..,

1708210976686.jpeg

You also have to flip the alternator backwards for the Trick Flow, which results in a slightly more direct airflow path but it’s not a pretty sight..,

View attachment 3946

That intake looks great, love the aluminum up top. Would look nice with some matching valve covers.

In that picture if the alternator along with everything else under the hood was cleaned up it would look alright. Whoever's car that is, keeping a clean engine bay was not on the priority list.

I think the Alt would be fine on my 97 as the battery and coolant tanks are swapped. I just don't understand why FORD completely dropped ALL support for the Modular family. I recall how Ford in early 90's bragged how much they invested in this line and moved away from the lowly windsor. The new coyote is so different that maybe there needs to be some adapters made. they make adapters for 5.4l DOHC to coyote so it isn't too hard.

Ford is a for profit company to them the 4.6 2 valve is a relic. The only 2 valve 4.6s on the road now are enthusiasts, or southern fleet vehicles that are only around because they will never rust out and run forever. The Lincolns and some Cobras got the expensive aluminum 4 valve 4.6/5.4 with the aluminum intakes that don't go bad.
The fleet vehicles still on the road these days get the inferior Dorman style intakes put on without a second thought. I would assume they were not selling enough to make it worth making them anymore.

I think the Alt would be fine on my 97 as the battery and coolant tanks are swapped. I just don't understand why FORD completely dropped ALL support for the Modular family. I recall how Ford in early 90's bragged how much they invested in this line and moved away from the lowly windsor. The new coyote is so different that maybe there needs to be some adapters made. they make adapters for 5.4l DOHC to coyote so it isn't too hard.

Re the adapter plates: Those exist because the width between head ports on Coyotes is conveniently very similar to 5.4 DOHCs. I'd kill to be able to use a Coyote intake on my 4.6 DOHC in lieu of the Mach 1 intake I'm using.

Like @Kenz said the 2V is a relic, in reality so is the 3V and 4V, there's not much support for them either, less actually. I think the sad reality is Ford and the late model Mustang aftermarket is pivoting from both support and performance improvements for 4.6 Mustangs to providing swap support parts to get the 4.6s out of there for new or used 5.0s.

The modular got squeezed on both ends of time, the Windsor had 30 years of aftermarket support when the modular made it into Mustangs and just as the aftermarket started coming up for 4.6s the 5.0 came out with 100 horsepower more than the best (NA) 4.6 ever did. When Ford developed it they matched the horsepower of the 5.0 H.O. and not a horsepower more. In 1991 200 horsepower seemed like a new pinnacle in performance after the smog choked low output era of the 70s and 80s, and the 350 in the Iroc Camaro only had about as much horsepower despite 70 extra cubes. Once the 90s unfolded and the LT1 and especially LS1 came out the modular lost competitiveness in all but DOHC form pushing similar power. In the 00s Ford just started sticking superchargers on modulars, which fans of boost may ask "so what", but it was a pretty tacit admission that the platform without major redevelopment was limited in its potential without the aid of a blower. The Coyote was the fruit of that eventual redevelopment.

That's a shame, I never knew the 2V were manufactured with LS intakes, but I recognize the similarities in the one piece mold process. Quality's going downhill again, I looked at a Coyote intake a while ago and its multipiece construction reminded me of the junky Dorman replacement I had