Replacing the fuel pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

White Lincoln

2nd Gear Poster
Vehicle Details
1994 Mercury Cougar XR7 all stock
Country flag
I was trying to find a thread on this, but must have missed it.

Do most of you replace the fuel pump from under the rear seat or dropping the tank? I replaced the fuel pump on my Mark VII and just cut a hole above the pump in the trunk, pulled it, put down sealed sheet metal and was done with it.

During the RockAuto fire sale a few years back, I bought a new fuel pump and filter for the Cougar and since I am working on fuel delivery, I might as well switch it out too.

Preferences?

Attachments

• MVC-025S.JPG
    MVC-025S.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 21
  • MVC-043S.JPG
    MVC-043S.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 21
I've seen it both ways. I've replaced a pump once, on the '96 Mark. The tank was 3/4 full, it was icy cold, and I didn't have a warm garage or the luxury of decent tools to drain the tank, drop the exhaust and tank to get at the pump. I had no spare car to drive for work, limited PTO and limited funds, so I needed to get the car back on the road ASAP. So, I cut a hole under the seat and made a "flap" to get at the pump.

When I was done, I folded the "flap" back down, sealed up the gap with a bunch of silicone to keep dust etc. out and drove it another 70,000 miles before some jerk rear-ended the car at 40 MPH. :bawling:

There are proponents of always "doing it right" by dropping the tank, and some who don't care at all. I'm in the middle of the argument. I would never cut the T-bird in the way I did the Mark. But in a car that would otherwise be scrapped or otherwise taken off the road because of an inability to service the vehicle a certain way...

I'm of mixed opinion myself. The one in the tank of the red cougar is no longer running, after about 6 of 10+ gallons. :(

I'm strictly a drop the tank person myself, I wouldn't buy another MN12 if I found out it had a hole cut.

I'd also add pop the lines from the clip on the tank before you fully lower it that amount, as that was my biggest headache in the process before I discovered that literal hangup.

I won't say cutting the hole is retarded or anything as I know many here have done it but I just don't think its necessary and don't like cutting good metal, especially metal on the edge of a bulkhead like stamping. I could be talked into doing a trunk floor access hole, but not there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone have thoughts on the kit that SCP sells? Been planning to do the fuel pump soon and like that it comes with everything.

Anyone have thoughts on the kit that SCP sells? Been planning to do the fuel pump soon and like that it comes with everything.

It’s actually not priced bad for SCP, my 255lph through summit was $95 shipped and the strainer from my local auto zone was 10ish.

I absolutely abhor dropping the tank in these things, but I don't think I could ever bring myself to cut a hole in the floor unless under similar circumstances as Brandon above.

I have worked on several cars that had access ports in the floor from the factory. Definitely a much nicer way to go.

My feelings are if it's your daily driver beater and you are likely the last owner of it- feel free to cut a hole at your own discretion.

Don't want to jinx myself by replying here, so knock on wood!!!

But  if one must access the pump, given the age of our cars, consider the opportunity to deep clean the fuel tank. And that's far more doable with the tank removed from the car.

Apart from that, I'm not entirely opposed to cutting a hole assuming that it's done somewhat neatly and a properly sealing access panel is created.

Still, I doesn't feel particularly good. I'd be concerned about structural rigidity. I also think I remember someone posting about cutting a hole and accidentally cutting the fuel lines and/or wiring in the process, which then required further repair.

My feelings are if it's your daily driver beater and you are likely the last owner of it- feel free to cut a hole at your own discretion.

I agree with this concept, even if you're not the final owner. I'm all about making the car  mine, and I don't worry about whether or not a potential buyer would like it. With very, very few exceptions, none of these cars are museum pieces.

I used rivnuts to attach my sealed cover plate.

BTW, it takes FAAAAAAAR less time to snip the hole than dropping the tank.

cover.jpg

Apparently I'm a retarded hack job according to you guys.

I used rivnuts to attach my sealed cover plate.

BTW, it takes FAAAAAAAR less time to snip the hole than dropping the tank.

View attachment 3924
I won't say cutting the hole is retarded or anything as I know many here have done it

As I said, I disagree that it’s retarded and think that’s unfair judgement but given the topic is asking for opinions there’s no need to take a different one personally. I know I’m not going to sway anyone from cutting a hole, and I’m sure pro-cutters think my opinion is needlessly stubborn, and that’s fine, I’m just giving my $0.02.

For me I realistically I don’t expect to be dropping the tank for another decade at least so the time savings - of which I don’t think any of us question (beyond the initial solution of cutting the hole, making the patch/seal and hardware anyway) isn’t that much of a benefit unless it’s an emergency swap.

Wow... you guys are awesome! My car is a total and cannot be sold. I bought it from a dealer that may or may not have know the circumstances, but the car was totaled by insurance before I bought it, but either the dealer knew or did not know.... either way, State Farm "lost" the paper work and it showed up totaled two years after I had purchased the car. I got some money back from the insurance and a "we're REALLY sorry 'bout that chief".... never in all my years... Anyway....

I have had the tank down before, and as I recall, it is not that hard, as long as the tank is relatively empty. If I wait till the spring, I will drop the tank. I am in no big hurry. I already have a new pump waiting to drop in some day. I just like cutting metal and making new sheet metal for the hole. :p

On the Mark VII, it really was a total PITA to drop the tank just to change the filter that some total a-hole of a mechanic put in. I was going up a steep hill and the car was cutting out! SOB I said to myself. Found out the mechanic had replaced the fuel pump and filter... a filter for a MUSTANG! Not at all the same. I wrote the shop and told them off. This was all done before I bought the car and the seller never knew. He did not drive the car that much.

Thanks guys for the awesome feedback. Great chat on this topic.

Anyone suggest a decent fuel pressure gauge that fits our Schrader valve?

I bought one from summit, but it says not to leave it attached. Find a real fuel pressure sender and an electronic gage if you want to run it.

If I can't finish the red cougar tomorrow, it's getting a hole. I'm seriously tired of fucking with it, and I managed to pump less than a gallon today. There's no way to drop the tank without moving the car, and gravity is not my friend here. :)
One of you guys want to make me a cover plate?

If I can't finish the red cougar tomorrow, it's getting a hole. I'm seriously tired of fucking with it, and I managed to pump less than a gallon today. There's no way to drop the tank without moving the car, and gravity is not my friend here. :)
One of you guys want to make me a cover plate?
You can borrow my sawz-all! lol

call me hack all you want :D after 3 dead out of the box pumps I wasn't dropping the tank anymore lol.View attachment 3925
Nice job! And, impressive that you did it all in 30 minutes!!! <chuckle>

I bought one from summit, but it says not to leave it attached. Find a real fuel pressure sender and an electronic gage if you want to run it.
Was this in response to my asking about a fuel pressure gauge for the fuel rail? I was half kidding and did not want to get two subjects going on the same thread. I will post this later on if anyone wants to reply so we don't get two subjects going.

Thanks though!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I have a dead fuel pump, and no hope of dropping the tank. I'm going in with the shears. I ordered a nutsert set and some screws. Whatever debris that killed the stock pump needs to come out.

With all this talk about cutting holes to get to the pump, do you know exactly where to cut? :unsure: My luck I'd miss it by a foot!

No, I'm not replacing my fuel pump.

Joe

With all this talk about cutting holes to get to the pump, do you know exactly where to cut? :unsure: My luck I'd miss it by a foot!

No, I'm not replacing my fuel pump.

Joe
With my luck not only would I cut the body but I’d cut a hole in the tank too trying to do that.

I've dropped my tank before to replace a pump years ago. (4) 13mm bolts and a floor jack and it isn't too bad considering i had jacked it up in the drive and put my Rhino jacks under the rear wheels. I wish I had a shop w/ lift but I am not detered. I paid someone about 8 years ago to put in a new pump and they demanded I let them clean the goo out of it and I agreed. Only now the damn gauge is unreliable as heck. When it gets to the warning level in a few miles it will go back to 1/4 to 1/2 and no warning light. Haven't run out yet because I reset odometer every gas up and I figure my miles based on 22 MPG. I have measured 23 but I don't want to get stranded. might need to put a jerry can in the trunk with a spare gallon just in case. Finding a whole cartridge is out of the question so that's how it is. I am so disappointed there is ZERO aftermarket for these once sleeper luxury cars. I drive mine like it is stole everyday despit it needing everything from windshield to a paint job. Hell, if I didn't have PBR front calipers brake pads for the sport rotors might be a pain.

call me hack all you want :D after 3 dead out of the box pumps I wasn't dropping the tank anymore lol.View attachment 3925

Nice job. If I had a template and that cover, I would definitely do the same. I'm going to drop the tank on mine because it's probably going to be quicker. I have used my harbor freight transmission jack to lower the tank for removing the drive shaft and it's fairly painless.

Nice job. If I had a template and that cover, I would definitely do the same. I'm going to drop the tank on mine because it's probably going to be quicker. I have used my harbor freight transmission jack to lower the tank for removing the drive shaft and it's fairly painless.
Thanks

I think it's time for a time out.

If you want to argue or start name calling, do it out of public view.

Discussing a difference of opinion is fine, and encouraged. Light sparring is tolerated. Intentional flaming, personal attacks and derogatory remarks are not.

This topic is closed for the time being to give everyone some time to relax!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.