Service manuals and EVTMs

jco1385

expert jcologist
Birdcats Supporter
Vehicle Details
1994 Thunderbird Turbo 4.2 M5R2
Country flag
I've finally collected a complete set of all MN12 Ford service manuals and EVTMs. I've also got a full set of the large fold-out wiring diagrams for MN12 from 1989 to 1994.

I'm open to requests if anyone needs anything.

20240423_193954.jpg

I'm about to become way too familiar with mine...

The lettering on the 1995 EVTM spine is really faded! The shop must have kept it near a window

Go to office depot, and get a high quality binder thick enough for the book. I grapped a bunch of manuals a douche at work was throwing out, and they were perfect I Printed new labels and inserted them, so they're perfect. I think they're less than $5 at Office depot. It'll keep them from getting trashed. I get a bag for pens and stuff too, they're a couple of bux. They make multicolored 'bookmarks' that are stick on. When you look something up, you can add a bookmark, and note what it is on the tab. So when you look for it again, you don't have to rifle thru it, saving wear on the pages.

The lettering on the 1995 EVTM spine is really faded! The shop must have kept it near a window
They weren't great quality either. Mine is also worn and faded.

It is thanks to @jco1385 (who may or may not remember helping me out with manuals back on the old site) that I was able to confidently tackle a bunch of jobs.

Awfully decent of you to put this out there! Thank you again!

They weren't great quality either. Mine is also worn and faded.
Mine’s pretty mint as is the 95 Mark one with the same color scheme. My 96 one is the most trashed, I’ve got it held together with tape

If they were decent paper, they'd be a foot thick or more.icr how many pages there are, but if you look at how many are there, in them, compare to an equal sized stack of bricks of copier paper, you'll see what I mean. :) It's like bible paper.

The lettering is faded and it has a nice crisp crease down the center. I'm not sure whether I did that or not.

Go to office depot, and get a high quality binder thick enough for the book. I grapped a bunch of manuals a douche at work was throwing out, and they were perfect I Printed new labels and inserted them, so they're perfect. I think they're less than $5 at Office depot. It'll keep them from getting trashed. I get a bag for pens and stuff too, they're a couple of bux. They make multicolored 'bookmarks' that are stick on. When you look something up, you can add a bookmark, and note what it is on the tab. So when you look for it again, you don't have to rifle thru it, saving wear on the pages.

Most of these are not punched for a binder. I've thought about cutting the spines off to have loose pages so I could scan them all in and make them available to the community. I'm not sure I'm up for scanning all of these pages though lol. I did scan the 1989 manual because it is loose. I'll get that put together soon. The 1997 manuals were scanned by someone else years ago and made available as a PDF. You probably already have it. The 1989 - 1994 large wiring diagram scans are available if you're a paying member over on SCCoA. I've got them on paper as well.

I'm already ahead of you on the sticky tabs. Most of these won't see much (if any) hand traffic so I'm not too concerned about wear. They made it this far.

20240424_224238.jpg
It is thanks to @jco1385 (who may or may not remember helping me out with manuals back on the old site) that I was able to confidently tackle a bunch of jobs.

Awfully decent of you to put this out there! Thank you again!

This here is why I have these books. I like to be able to answer questions with documentation. I'm happy to be able to give back to the community that I've grown up with over the last (nearly) 20 years. I'm glad I was able to help you out.

Last edited:
Where does the "Ford Passenger Car Front and Rear Wheel Drive Specification Book" fit in with these?

Ask one of the local shops if they can turn it into a pdf fpr you. Most won't, but some will. It's probably not going to be below 10 cents/ page...

I just copy the pages I need for a job before I get my hands dirty. Less wear on the book itself.

Ask one of the local shops if they can turn it into a pdf fpr you. Most won't, but some will. It's probably not going to be below 10 cents/ page...
I tried that with something before, but they wouldn't copy it because it was copywrited. I removed the page that had the copywrite, brought it to a different location, and they did it no problem

If you've got access to a production copier with a dual-sided feed-through scanner, they can assemble PDFs automatically. Downside is the fact that you'd have to tear the pages out from the binding to use them, though.

I miss when manuals came with binders.
I bought a genuine Ford transmission rebuild manual for the AXOD a couple years ago just because it is in a giant ford binder. No one wants to get AXODs rebuilt anymore. But when that one customer shows up, I'm prepared!!

Ignore the manuals for my Lincoln MKZ.

I actually really like that year MKZ. The facelift worked really well on that generation. Beautiful woods and chrome accents inside.

I also remember seeing an MKZ/Fusion in the junkyard and thinking that front suspension looks oddly sophisticated for a mainstream fwd sedan; is that a wishbone?!

20240427_201049.jpg

All that shelf space .. 🤔

I got the USB digital service manual from Helm ( they still make physical bound volumes also ); I can print the pages I need and it has quick references and links. I still like having a physical copy even though it would spend most of the time on my bookshelf.

Having the Tbird manuals in PDF would be nice also. 😉

Its more just about having the collection. I downloaded a 97 service manual in PDF form ages ago and in reality if you have one year it’s all you really need outside of engine stuff, which not to boast I’ve never worked on an engine in my life reading the instructions, I just need the page with torque specs 😎

EVTMs are more useful to have year to year especially with a wiring Frankenstein like my car, but you can pretty safely skip years (like if you have a 94 Tbird a 95 EVTM will fully cover your needs)

One of the first things I did when I bought my cars was to find a service manual for them. You know, back in the day when eBay was a cheap place to buy stuff?! I bought both the service manual and the wiring manual.

I had the CD's for both cars until they no longer would work on a PC after the Window's upgrades. I think I had to toss them after Windows 7 got booted (pardon the pun). :p

Attachments

• 20240427_220638[1].jpg
    20240427_220638[1].jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
  • 20240427_220455[1].jpg
    20240427_220455[1].jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
I actually really like that year MKZ. The facelift worked really well on that generation. Beautiful woods and chrome accents inside.

I also remember seeing an MKZ/Fusion in the junkyard and thinking that front suspension looks oddly sophisticated for a mainstream fwd sedan; is that a wishbone?!
Honestly I'm not sure. Write ups online suggest the 2011 MKZ uses SLA, short long arm wishbone suspension. I inherited it in 2022 with under 17,000 miles. This one is AWD.

One of the first things I did when I bought my cars was to find a service manual for them. You know, back in the day when eBay was a cheap place to buy stuff?! I bought both the service manual and the wiring manual.

I had the CD's for both cars until they no longer would work on a PC after the Window's upgrades. I think I had to toss them after Windows 7 got booted (pardon the pun). :p
Most laptops today do not have built in optical drives. You can get a DVD/CD USB connected external drive new for under $40 online that works with Windows XP thru 11.

Dang. I thought I heard my name...

They'll work under 32 bit windows. The installer/front end program is old, it's 16 bit; tere's no 16 bit subsystem under win 64.

For using old programs under Windows now:You have to have a 32 bit version of windows. You're limited to 4gb of ram, but I've never missed it except photoshop, and the version I have has a built in memory manager that works with at least 48 GB.

I built a computer with a TB of ram once; to run a 100k dollar a seat fluid dynamics program, and the only cool program I ever got to run on it was Crysis, with a amd 7990. It fucking rocked, lol. Management hated it, because the coolers for the processors stuck out of the case by 3". it had 6 8mm heat pipes. It ran 2 12 core xeons at 3.73ghz with a tb of ram, and a raid 0 array of 12k rpm sas drives for working storage. It never crashed, on server 2003x64. With hyperthreading, it was 24 cores. Because of the coolers, I was able to oc the processors to run all 48 cores, 2x12 +hyperthreading, at full speed. I took them down at the end of runs, and did maintenance and updates as necessary, but we were on a private net with no internet, on purpose, we really didn't have to worry.

I still buy copies of windows from there, lol.
I have a corporate copy of win xp and win 7 in all versions, and the keys. There are 400k licenses attached to those numbers, so it's unlikely to be a problem for a product no in use, or on the web. :)

Most laptops today do not have built in optical drives. You can get a DVD/CD USB connected external drive new for under $40 online that works with Windows XP thru 11.
This was the software would no longer work on new OS versions of Windows, as Grog mentioned. A lot of us were aware of this issue and all we could do is buy a newer version of the software, keep the old OS on a junky machine for reference or scream and yell a lot "cursed Microsoft!!!"