Speed Test! How fast is your bandwidth?

Just to give an update. I did stop by their customer service center and ask. The said no way they could compete with 1GB up AND down for that price. My son asked why and I told him Spectrum (Charter Communications) is a Billion dollar company, GOOGLE is a Trillion dollar company. 😄

So, I'm left waiting until Google Fiber moves in. As I type this they're laying the lines in my community. It's just a matter of time. I can't wait to finally cut the cord with Spectrum.
That's a total BS answer. Just because a company is worth a lot more money doesn't mean they will offer a better product at a better price. They could, but its just as likely that Spectrum/Charter is unwilling to invest in upgrading their central office equipment and the CPE to Docsis 4 (which would enable up to 10Gbps full duplex). Even with inital Docsis deployments, comcast is only offering up to 2Gbps.

On top of that, you practically have to add a year if not more to all of these announced availability dates for the service to reach you, even if you're in the announced service area. Comcast says that mid split is available around me, but it's still not turned on in my area so I'm still "stuck" with 1000/20 instead of 1000/100.

Not that it matters in practical everyday usage because I don't upload large amounts much and I haven't come close to downloading anything at 300 Mbps in the last few months from a CDN, never mind 940 Mbps. However, as a customer, you want to get what you paid for even if you're not using it to its limits.

Docsis 4 (which would enable up to 10Gbps full duplex). Even with inital Docsis deployments, comcast is only offering up to 2Gbps.

Q1: Why would someone need that much throughput?
Q2: How many people know how (to measure how) much throughput they are actually using?
Q3: How many people have hardware capable of operating at speeds over 1 Gb/s?

Put in perspective, I have a couple clients with 4000+ users on 2 Gb/s connections which don't peak. Average peak utilization is 1.3-1.5 Gb/s.

It's great that the industry is advancing the bleeding edge of consumer tech, but it's little more than bragging rights and marketing hype. Meanwhile in rural areas, dial-up and satellite connections are still all that are available. Providers can do better to expand broadband services to those who don't have it, instead of selling gig connections to people who probably use 10-15 meg on average and occasionally peak over a couple hundred during a large download. Anyone who needs more than that is probably doing something they wouldn't want the MPAA to find out about. ;)

I ran some huge local an party's on 10mbps. We had a 256 player Quake 2 game that lasted for hours, until someone put something in the microwave and blew the main house breaker. :)

1Gig fiber was installed today. Not bad for the first run on my old router.

PC is on a CAT5e cable (for now), PlayStation is on wifi.

25DAE4C2-F146-45C0-A674-07DAF41EBC1E.jpeg

BAA97052-8B37-417F-873B-24BC90586C6A.jpeg

We're about to get 2 fiber options this year. One of them offers a 100Mbps and 1Gbps connection. The other offers those plus a 300Mbps and 10Gbps

I run maybe 2 HD TV's that would be streaming and a few phones at a time. Throw in laptop or 2 while working for max usage. No 4k currently. What's a guy need for this type of usage?

Finally got fiber installed here in rural Florida. This is the first real high speed in my area. I am getting very consistent speeds all times of day and a 3-5ms ping.

I am paying $50 for 100 Mbps plan right now.

My other plan choices are $80 for 1gig, $100 for 2 gig

I might eventually switch to the 1 gig plan, but this is fast enough right now. I heard from the installers that most of the people here who get the fiber installed are selecting the 2 gig plan. IMO they are overcompensating for the lack of high speed that has been available. The people here are used to being undersold shitty satellite and 4G cell plans that don't actually deliver promised speeds.

1708718446950.png

We're about to get 2 fiber options this year. One of them offers a 100Mbps and 1Gbps connection. The other offers those plus a 300Mbps and 10Gbps

I run maybe 2 HD TV's that would be streaming and a few phones at a time. Throw in laptop or 2 while working for max usage. No 4k currently. What's a guy need for this type of usage?

From what I found 4k will use ~15Mbps, standard HD ~5Mbps. Most households will be fine with a 100 plan. Looking online this is what most sites are recommending. Heavy online gaming, bandwidth demanding work from home job, video editing, being an uber nerd :ROFLMAO: and things like that can for sure take advantage of faster plans.

I'm among the minority I'm sure, but I downgraded to the most basic plan I could to save some cash. It's just the two of us here at home, and we don't use the connection heavily at all. The wife watches Crunchyroll, and I do remote work/videoconferencing.

Rather than pay $80/mo for a 300 Mb/s connection, I pared it down to $30/mo for a 100 Mb/s connection. Now, if upload speeds scaled better into the higher throughput tiers I might be more likely to pay a little more for a bigger pipe... but nobody around here gives you that for residential connections.

I dropped my broadband down to 75 mbps; dropped everything but hd and basic cable, and I get apps for paramount, cinemax, and discovery online thru the smart tv.

I'm upgrading from cable to fiber on Friday. With that I'm leaving Mediacom and moving to Metronet. Not sure what the speed rating is now, but going to 1 gig. Introductory rate is $63/mo, taxes and fees included. We're also getting one month free and a $200 gift card. They are new to this area, this the deals.. I think normal price is around $90/month.

TBH, reliability is much more important to me than speed. I work from home, but other than webex calls, I didn't think I use a huge amount of bandwidth.

Some of our local utilities are doing broadband; I hear it's awesome. I'm trying to lobby our local utility to set one up, they could use the revenue, and they already maintain power wires, fiber cables are easy in comparison. I tried for about 6 months to design a PET cetector that would digitize it's own data, and send it to the reconstruction processor over fiber. Too much power and heat to work. I used the same cooler I was using on my overclocked gaming machine, and it still couldn't cool it. I ended up getting NaK to work, lol, and the bonus is you can pump it without moving parts.
My boss told me he would beat me with a chair if I proposed it seriously at a meeting. :) I'm sure he wasn't kidding, lol.

Don't know why this old thread popped up in my RSS feed, but it did. Not enough information in the original post to determine if the point of failure is the ISP or your in house infrastructure. How many devices are connected to your home WiFi network? Where is your wireless router located compared to the location of your son's phone (signal strength)? How close are your neighbors (their WiFi signal can interfere with yours, especially 2.4 ghz band). Are you using a WiFi router provided by Spectrum or something you purchased? How much of a load is on your home network when your son has gaming issues? The solution is usually buying your own hefty router, locating it in the center of your home and using the 5 ghz band instead of the 2.4 ghz band. The last job I did in a large colonial home had about 40 WiFi devices attached and required a high end 3 device MESH router system to cover the entire home and handle the load.

I'm upgrading from cable to fiber on Friday. With that I'm leaving Mediacom and moving to Metronet. Not sure what the speed rating is now, but going to 1 gig. Introductory rate is $63/mo, taxes and fees included. We're also getting one month free and a $200 gift card. They are new to this area, this the deals.. I think normal price is around $90/month.

TBH, reliability is much more important to me than speed. I work from home, but other than webex calls, I didn't think I use a huge amount of bandwidth.
Make sure your router is up to the task of handling 1 ghz speed. Many older routers begin to sputter at about 400 mbps speeds.

Back