Tbird/Cougar hood/header panel interchange?

Derphound01

Do you want ants? Because that's how you get ants.
Birdcats Supporter
Vehicle Details
Chameleon 1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6
Country flag
Are the 96-97 hoods and header panels the same on both the Bird and the Cougar? I know the hoods are different on pre-96 models.

Cougar has holes punched into it for the grille, but otherwise it’s the same stamping. Header panels are the same 96-97 only, they’re model specific all other years

Silly question, but can a 94-5 style grill mount on a 96? Cougar, of course. I have several grills, but all now have problems; I do like the older grill.

Silly question, but can a 94-5 style grill mount on a 96? Cougar, of course. I have several grills, but all now have problems; I do like the older grill.

Not even slightly. You didn’t play this game much as a kid eh?:rofl:

1697495214732.jpeg

Here's my stupid question:

Is there any way to remove the 96/97 Thunderbird grille without removing the bumper cover? Somehow from below maybe?

I'd like a sort of "negative" look, i.e., silver grille with black Thunderbird emblem.

Another grille-related question. I own a '95 Thunderbird and I can't remember if I read it here or on the former site that shall not be named about the sagging bumper cover/nose cone. I think mine is sagging, there seems to be a noticeable gap between the bottom lip of the hood and the top of the bumper grille area. I'm sure it's not supposed to be that big. Is that a broken/bent bracket thing or just a tighten everything thing? I can't believe all the screws and tabs would get that loose. But I also can't imagine what is not aligned correctly anymore, everything looks like it's in the right place.

Compare the sales brochure photo to my avatar.

Shocked me when I saw the difference. :facepalm:

View attachment 1589

View attachment 1590
The gaps were never that tight off the assembly line, I'm not even sure it's possible to get it there without shims and oblonging holes. These images are more typical of how the hood to bumper gap looked new

1697908699899.png

1697908903406.png

I think that's one of those pre production things the beancounters got rid of