1996 Cougar XR7, all the issues.

OilBurner2003

1st Gear Poster
Vehicle Details
1996 cougar XR7, 4.6 v8
Country flag
Hello everyone! The cougar of mine, is in pretty rough shape. It’s been sitting under a cover ever since the move, and it’s been a eye opener with how much I’ve found so far.

Fuel issue: Sometimes it has fuel pressure, sometimes it doesn’t. At the moment, I have reason to believe it’s most likely the fuel pump. Banged on the tank and I’ll get pressure again, so I’m replacing that.

HeaterCore: Being as dry and hot as my old climate was, I never needed the heat. Due to my new climate weather, I def do. The heater core was bypassed long ago to stop the leak it had, now it’s 30 degrees every now and then with fog, probably take me 3 hours to fix with the dash out and back in.

Windshield wiper linkage, and motor: Both are missing, and I’m not sure how it even goes together. My plan is to find a Cougar or thunderbird at a junkyard, take pictures on how it’s together, and take the parts out and place them on my Cougar. If I cannot find the windshield wiper linkage, or come up with a aftermarket/Design my own, it’ll be for sale lol.

Engine misfires: This is mostly due to the fuel pump obviously, it needs a better set of wires, coils and plugs. The vacuum lines I did are cracked, due to the intense heat in AZ. Also they were makeshift temporary lines, just to make sure the engine would perform well under load and such.

The transmission: Thing is, I can’t tell the exact health yet, because I have to make sure the engine isn’t giving me any issues. As far as I can tell, it actually shifts really well. The sound that sounds like marbles is back, however, this could also be due to the other issues I listed in engine misfires. Before I can be concerned about something like that, the engine needs to be sound. So..

It’s a long road. I just forgot about the door handle too. It’s such a nice car, so I don’t wanna give up on it. I’ve recently worked with a mechanic for a few days, who honestly taught me a lot about the 4.6. Also gave me some cool new knowledge about my issues too.

There’s a couple questions I have. Does anyone know what models and year of thunderbird fit on the 96 cougar, I am aware they’re mostly the same thing, just wanna make sure. In order for me to fix everything else, the windshield wipers have to work. That’s my main goal.

To clarify, I’m looking for the linkage, hardware, if possible, and the motor. The motor is easy, it’s the linkage I can’t find yet. That’s all! Thanks guys!

I have a video of the wiper transmission linkage from WBW, that had some play in the bushings. Maybe it will help you see how it fits together.

Plugs and wires for sure; chances are, if the coils are original, that they're fine.

The marbles sounding thing could be detonation due to running lean (low fuel pressure and/or dirty MAF).

The wiper transmission is the same for all years, IIRC. It's a 10 minute job to get it out of a donor vehicle.

I have a video of the wiper transmission linkage from WBW, that had some play in the bushings. Maybe it will help you see how it fits together.

Plugs and wires for sure; chances are, if the coils are original, that they're fine.

The marbles sounding thing could be detonation due to running lean (low fuel pressure and/or dirty MAF).

The wiper transmission is the same for all years, IIRC. It's a 10 minute job to get it out of a donor vehicle.
Wonderful! Thank you. I’ll be working on the cougar now, I’ll be giving updates. Mostly to help me haha

I have a few wiper cowls with the linkage and motor and everything ready to go. I’ll take some pics tomorrow, and let me know your zip code and I’ll get a shipping quote for you if you want.

I have a few wiper cowls with the linkage and motor and everything ready to go. I’ll take some pics tomorrow, and let me know your zip code and I’ll get a shipping quote for you if you want.
I may very well take you up on that! I’m gonna do some research, and I’ll get back to you.

IMG_1221.jpeg
Hey! I think I got one! This is the linkage, correct? I don’t think it could look like anything else.

IMG_1229.jpeg

I figured out how it all goes! Two things, does the linkage have mounting bolts? And how do you mount the motor? I’m about to go pick one up.

seems like there are three nuts on top there somewhere. It's bolted to the piece in the pic, iirc. It's the heavy part.

seems like there are three nuts on top there somewhere. It's bolted to the piece in the pic, iirc. It's the heavy part.
I don’t have the bolts, I’ll find some that work. I’m missing the motor itself, and the wiper arms that connect to the linkage. And then it’s done! I’m gonna go find the arms

Look for mark viii arms, they have the hook instead of the pin. Allows better wiper blade selection, I personally run Bosch icons, take care of them and they last for years, the ones on my tbird are like 7 years old and still work great.

Look for mark viii arms, they have the hook instead of the pin. Allows better wiper blade selection, I personally run Bosch icons, take care of them and they last for years, the ones on my tbird are like 7 years old and still work great.
is there a specific year range I should look for?

I know i got a set off of a 94 recently, I presume 93s were the same but don't want to sat that for sure. So 94-98 you should be good.

I know i got a set off of a 94 recently, I presume 93s were the same but don't want to sat that for sure. So 94-98 you should be good.
Great! I’ll see if they have some equalivent at oreileys.

Do we really need a screwdriver to remove the blades for the MN12? I have replaced them once but I don't remember using one

I think its only the last few years of Mark8 that had the J hook wiper arms. They are not made anymore so parts stores don't have them, it's a salvage yard item. I found a set on ebay years ago.

Do we really need a screwdriver to remove the blades for the MN12? I have replaced them once but I don't remember using one
A pick or a screwdriver. It's helpful to have something to move the sliding tab that locks the arm down.

A pick or a screwdriver. It's helpful to have something to move the sliding tab that locks the arm down.
I’m heading to the junkyard for a motor, and two wiper arms. If all goes well, the wipers will be fixed today. Oh, and the door handle clip on the inside is the one that broke. I’ll be getting a new assembly as well!

I've never needed a tool to remove the blades from the arms or arms from the transmission, sometimes they're a little stubborn to get off the splines if they've never been removed before but the sliding tab is usually free

I’m not crazy. It goes in like this, right? IMG_1232.jpeg
Can’t get the bolt holes to line up.

I found the issue with the door handle. The yellow clip attached to the door latch was snapped, from the locksmith. I’m gonna pick up a whole assembly tomorrow too
Update: Door is fixed. Works like a charm, decided to do spark plugs and wires. The wires I knew were bad, but the plugs..Holy shit. I’ve never seen them so bad. And I wondered why I had misfires😂 Got 4 done, it’s a painful process. I have to blow out each spark plug hole before I take it out 4 times with compressed air, then it starts to look clean. It’ll be started within the hour. Picked up some platinum plugs