Possible head gasket issue

CoolantConsumer

1st Gear Poster
Birdcats Supporter
Vehicle Details
93 SC manual | 95 Lx V8
Country flag
Hey everyone, so I recently opened my coolant reservoir on my 95 4.6 and noticed specs of oil and it sure smells like it too. I also have periodic moments of blue smoke coming out from my tail pipes on acceleration only. When it idles there’s no smoke. I haven’t had over heating issues lately but I also did stop driving it due to those concerns. Seems like im losing coolant without any external leaks. Furthermore, its sounds like I’m hearing a ticking noise coming from the engine which surely isn’t normal right? I’m going to do a block test later on this week with a buddy of mine but I was wondering if there could be other reasons why this could be happening. Sounds like textbook HG problems to me. Thanks in advance.

Note: We recently changed my oil pan gasket and oil filter housing gasket and we were unaware of having to remove the dipstick before reinstalling the pan which unfortunately means that pieces of my dipstick are lodge in the pan. I should’ve read @supergordo reply to that one guy who had a broken dipstick after reinstalling the pan without removing the dipstick. It’s a learning lesson I guess 🙂

Last edited:
I agree with you. It sounds alot like a hg. As well as the block test you can do a test on the radiator to see if it's leaking combustion gas into the coolant. When mine went I didn't ever get blue smoke. What I got was magically disappearing coolant. When under a load (driving) it would over fill my over flow resivor but I couldn't see it because I was driving. Did the combustion test and found out it was leaking

Is this the 95 4.6 or your SC?

Popped HGs on the 4.6 are rare but not unheard of. If it's the 95, chances are the blue smoke is from worn valve stem seals/guides, a common problem on the pre-96 heads. The oil mix/smell and coolant loss could very well be/have been the oil filter adapter gasket; that's pretty common on the 4.6s too.

Now if we're talking about the SC, that's a different story...

Is this the 95 4.6 or your SC?

Popped HGs on the 4.6 are rare but not unheard of. If it's the 95, chances are the blue smoke is from worn valve stem seals/guides, a common problem on the pre-96 heads. The oil mix/smell and coolant loss could very well be/have been the oil filter adapter gasket; that's pretty common on the 4.6s too.

Now if we're talking about the SC, that's a different story...
4.6. Any suggestions on what test I should do to help me narrow down the problem? Thanks.

Valve stem seals need to be changed.

Oil in coolant is probably residual from your recent oil filter adapter replacement.

Same as what Brandon said above.

I've had one go bad within a week of replacing a gasket. Every single time I've thought I've dusted a hg, it's been the oil filter adapter gasket. I glue them in with black rtv now.

Do a block test, because why not. Pressure test the cooling system. As others have said, the valve seals go bad easily in these old engines. So that could be the smoke.
How much oil do you see in the coolant? What exactly are you seeing?