Fuselink wiring issue.

CoolantConsumer

1st Gear Poster
Birdcats Supporter
Vehicle Details
93 SC manual | 95 Lx V8
Country flag
Hello everyone, recently picked up a 93 tbird sc. After finishing an oil change and coolant change, a wire near the battery started to heat up and smoke. I unplugged it to see if it was related to starting the car but the cars starts and runs idles fine. Can someone tell me the wire is and what could the cause be of the overheating. I'm thinking a ground issue but honestly, I don't know what the wire is for. Maybe the starter? I have posted on the SCCoA and got an answer but I want to get multiple opinions before tearing up the wiring system. Can someone guide me down the path to repair. Thank you!

I am located in Las Vegas so if there are any tbirds owner here let's stay together to preserve this rare car!

Per SC-Al at SCCoA, "I'm thinking the fuselink to connector C100. That would Go to the CCRM, (Relay Module), that powers the cooling fan. Check the fan, and wiring. Also, when doing the cooling system, make sure you bleed out the air, and check to see if the heater is getting warm."

IMG_4073.jpg
IMG_4072.jpgIMG_4077.PNG

Happened after an oil change? Hmm. I believe we were texting on the phone yesterday.

Does the cooling fan work?

Hello everyone, recently picked up a 93 tbird sc. After finishing an oil change and coolant change, a wire near the battery started to heat up and smoke. I unplugged it to see if it was related to starting the car but the cars starts and runs idles fine. Can someone tell me the wire is and what could the cause be of the overheating. I'm thinking a ground issue but honestly, I don't know what the wire is for. Maybe the starter? I have posted on the SCCoA and got an answer but I want to get multiple opinions before tearing up the wiring system. Can someone guide me down the path to repair. Thank you!

I am located in Las Vegas so if there are any tbirds owner here let's stay together to preserve this rare car!

Per SC-Al at SCCoA, "I'm thinking the fuselink to connector C100. That would Go to the CCRM, (Relay Module), that powers the cooling fan. Check the fan, and wiring. Also, when doing the cooling system, make sure you bleed out the air, and check to see if the heater is getting warm."

View attachment 1808
View attachment 1810View attachment 1809

Here’s some context that I missed to mention. We recently changed the radiator and rewired the cooling fan and that’s when the issue started. I’ll double check the wires that connect to the cooling fan.

What caused you to re-wire the fan? Was the wiring damaged?

From what I know the previous owner was unable to remove the old cooling fan sensor so they cut the wire and spliced it together. I’m not sure the reasoning behind it. When we removed the fan to install my new radiator, we disconnected the wires. After installation my mechanic homie and I taped all the wires together in electrical tape in a bundle. Which may be the problem. I intend to undothe bundle and tape them individually. From what I read so far, the wire that heating up and smoking (see original picture) Per SC-Al at SCCoA, "I'm thinking the fuselink to connector C100. That would Go to the CCRM, (Relay Module), that powers the cooling fan.

Attachments

• CF07BB7C-D8CA-4E68-BEF5-0A9BF75108AB.jpeg
    CF07BB7C-D8CA-4E68-BEF5-0A9BF75108AB.jpeg
    1,008.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Edit: I just took a photo of the aftermath of the radiator install. It was originally spliced and held with the red piece. Post radiator install, we used electrical tape to bundle it which I suspect may have something to do it the fuse link overheating.

Note: this is my first real project car and I know nothing about wiring haha. Thank you everyone for the replies!

Attachments

• FEC2EC81-BEA4-41D0-99F3-22EEF499A1E6.jpeg
    FEC2EC81-BEA4-41D0-99F3-22EEF499A1E6.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • B6A80E87-3DE6-4C8C-BBC1-5335B5FFFA64.jpeg
    B6A80E87-3DE6-4C8C-BBC1-5335B5FFFA64.jpeg
    887.9 KB · Views: 15
That may very well be your problem. Your splice probably has very high impedance. I would recommend crimp butt connectors at the very least, or solder and marine heat shrink if you have the means. They sell butt connectors that have solder in them, all you have to do is heat it to melt the solder. Looks like the pigtail is pretty short. You might want to go to a junkyard and grab one with more length to work with.

Edit: Your top radiator hose looks like it's almost kinked. You could cut some length off where it connects to the radiator to solve that.

Here's the wiring for the cooling fan on your car. That fuse link is top-left.

Attachments

• 20231103_100540.jpg
    20231103_100540.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 9
  • 20231103_100550.jpg
    20231103_100550.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Yeah, something in the fan wiring repair is shorting out.

Yeah, that's a bit high current for that. And normal .250 quick disconnects won't last either. I use a western union type splice, covered with heatshrink, after I solder it together. There are quick disconnects rated for 30A, I bought some off a buddy. If the end is melted, that pigtail is available. A large crimp will work there too, just cover it in heatshrink. Black tape melts under the hood, hst just gets tighter.

Happened after an oil change? Hmm. I believe we were texting on the phone yesterday.
Yeah, that's a bit high current for that. And normal .250 quick disconnects won't last either. I use a western union type splice, covered with heatshrink, after I solder it together. There are quick disconnects rated for 30A, I bought some off a buddy. If the end is melted, that pigtail is available. A large crimp will work there too, just cover it in heatshrink. Black tape melts under the hood, hst just gets tighter.
That wire nut isn't doing anyone any good.

I still need to deal with the radiator wires, but I want to tackle the overheating and smoking fuse at the same time. Any tips on how to replace it? Wiring isn't really my thing. Thank you! What would be the part name? I'm assuming I cant find it at a local autozone

Last edited:
First things first. try to spin the fan b hand; the motor may be seized up. If it spins ok, put jumper wires between the battery and the two outer pins (quick disconnects.) That will power up the low speed fan.

I still need to deal with the radiator wires, but I want to tackle the overheating and smoking fuse at the same time. Any tips on how to replace it? Wiring isn't really my thing. Thank you! What would be the part name? I'm assuming I cant find it at a local autozone
Sorry I was real busy today. Replacing the fuse link is no big deal. We can take a look sometime soon at the whole situation.