1996 Cougar XR7, all the issues.

If you were to drop the trans off at a shop, have them rebuild it and give it back to you to install yourself, it might cost about a grand. The R&R part, if you can do it yourself, will save you $1000+. It can be removed in a few hours with a rental transmission jack. Or a regular floor jack with a helper works too.

You can R&R it by yourself with a regular floor jack too, but it's not fun.

If you were to drop the trans off at a shop, have them rebuild it and give it back to you to install yourself, it might cost about a grand. The R&R part, if you can do it yourself, will save you $1000+. It can be removed in a few hours with a rental transmission jack. Or a regular floor jack with a helper works too.

I can remove it myself. I’ll have to save up some cash should I get it rebuilt.

Depends on the jack, I used to keep my flat bottom 94 (AOD style) pan around and with my jack with a fairly large diameter pad it was very stable and easy to maneuver the trans on it with that pan temporarily swapped on.

My neighbor has a trans jack that makes swapping one a lot easier; they sell for ~200.

I built a 4r70w about 3 weeks ago for a customer for a 2003 F150. Didn't have to replace any hard parts. Spent almost $1000 wholesale for everything I bought. But that was a California Kit, all the bushings, converter, all solenoids, all servos accumulators and a Sonnax OD pin. Prices have really gone up. 18 months ago all the same stuff was about $600.

Edit: I also bought a Sun gear, and I believe a sun shell. So scratch the "no hard parts" comment.

Last edited:
Hah! Well, I’ll put the fluid in and roll it around to the shed. Dunno how much a rebuild is, and that will..Take work just to get it out.

Thank you all for being patient and being able to teach me shit that I don’t know yet lol.
You could drive the trans down to Vegas and I'll build it for you.

Gordo, I was looking at rebuild kits the other day, and was really amazed by the prices, even at the same place. Where it was ~200, with extras, now it's closer to the grand you said.. There are reasons other than covid. I'll rant on that in my thread, lol.

You could drive the trans down to Vegas and I'll build it for you.
That’s an amazing offer! I’ll keep that in mind. You know, it’s funny. Everytime I drive in town I’ll get a comment from someone saying “That’s a cougar!” It’s a fun experience. Never had a car “classic” enough to catch the eye of some folks.

Gordo, I was looking at rebuild kits the other day, and was really amazed by the prices, even at the same place. Where it was ~200, with extras, now it's closer to the grand you said.. There are reasons other than covid. I'll rant on that in my thread, lol.
It's worth nothing as well that I buy my parts locally from a transmission parts wholesaler. I'm on their top tier discount. And it's pretty pricey now.