91 Cougar LS 5.0 Teardown and Build

Once you drive again I'd love to hear your feedback on Lizard skin. Is that the sound deadening or the heat resistant stuff?
Sound deadening. I'll also do dynamat or similar insulation where i can fit it in.

Fantastic! Just awesome! That is gonna be slick.

IMG_20240315_155551.jpgIMG_20240315_155558.jpg
Starting to look like a car again! Also notice the lack of antenna hole😁
Question: anyone successfully painted the lock and handles? We're going to break the lock cylinder out and glue them back in so that we can paint them nicely. I'm a bit scared but I think painted will be so smooth.

There's a metal clip that holds the lock in; it's easy to pop off with a long screwdriver.

I think there’s plastic melt holding the cylinder in. Honestly I’d just mask the lock, however you get it off it won’t be as durable of a bond putting it back together as stock.

I wouldn’t even mask it. Just paint it, and the first few times you turn the lock cylinder with the key, the paint will flake off the lock cylinder face but stay on the surrounding trim piece.

I thought these door locks were the same as every other car lock I've seen; there's a flat spring clip holding the cylinder to the door; the linkage varies by mfr.

I thought these door locks were the same as every other car lock I've seen; there's a flat spring clip holding the cylinder to the door; the linkage varies by mfr.

You're thinking of 96-97s, the edge of the handle is part of the lock cylinder assembly, You remove the clipto remove the cylinder assembly from the door but there is no clip holding that piece to the cylinder

I wouldn’t even mask it. Just paint it, and the first few times you turn the lock cylinder with the key, the paint will flake off the lock cylinder face but stay on the surrounding trim piece.

If its the illuminated entry type I'd mask, the lens is the round piece between the cylinder and black plastic

Looking great! I can’t believe how fast it’s been coming together!

It could just be dusty but the satin black paint in the grille could probably do with a fresh coat

Looking great! I can’t believe how fast it’s been coming together!

It could just be dusty but the satin black paint in the grille could probably do with a fresh coat
Thanks, I have an NOS grille still new in a box. Mine is decent, but pitted a bit. It is really dirty too.

IMG_20240413_135648976.jpg
Delivery day!
IMG_20240413_143245253.jpg

IMG_20240413_143237860_HDR.jpg

Tucked away in my trucks garage stall for a few weeks. Hoping to get the windshield and back glass in here in a couple weeks. In the meantime I'll be installing dynomat and weather stripping. Them back to my dad's shop for final assembly.

Dude, this is hella slick!

I'm happy to see your build starting to come together!

Same, it seems like just yesterday I was trying to talk you into just body swapping the doner. It’s so great instead to see this realized and I’m so happy for you to have the true car you cherished car back to form! I love when my cynicism is defeated

Thanks guys, there were times I thought about giving up to be sure.

Man that Black Cougar is really looking slick!

Thanks guys, there were times I thought about giving up to be sure.
There is always a part in a long car project that makes you wonder why you do it. And it looks easier to quit. When I was building the SuperBirdo car we spent a month of Saturdays and Sundays modifying the wiring from 1995 to 1996 with limited donor cars. That was a rough month.
So many people give up. Any of us who have been around here for 10-20 years have seen everyone who started a project with big ideas only to sell off all their parts and the car wholesale on the for sale threads.
Keep going! It looks great!

There is always a part in a long car project that makes you wonder why you do it. And it looks easier to quit. When I was building the SuperBirdo car we spent a month of Saturdays and Sundays modifying the wiring from 1995 to 1996 with limited donor cars. That was a rough month.
So many people give up. Any of us who have been around here for 10-20 years have seen everyone who started a project with big ideas only to sell off all their parts and the car wholesale on the for sale threads.
I agree. When I first started reading this thread on the other site I thought "yeah, this is just going to end without going anywhere". You have totally proven me wrong on that. The car looks beautiful and I'm sure will be even better once you have it all together. In my opinion, the hard part is over.

Much appreciated! If it wasn't my first car, I'm sure I'd have moved on. Too much time and money invested at this point to quit!