Auto Lamp Upgrade?

Nick0127

Lifetime Supporter
Vehicle Details
'89 SC mtx, '90 SC mtx, '93 SC mtx, '04
Country flag
This may be nuts, but, wanted y'all's take. My '90 does not have Auto Lamp so I am thinking about adding it as it would have looked / worked then. I got the auto lamp switch, the dashboard trim piece with the sensor, the relay, the different light switch, and an old harness. I'm going for the single switch (just auto lamp) not the double (auto lamp / auto dim). I was going to cut a hole in the bezel and then try to wire this up. Do you think this will work? Is it likely to have the harness already and just not used (to save $ on parts variability) when I take the bezel off? What do you think?

It’s possible it’s prewired but I can’t say for certain on a 90(94-97s with auto climate control are prewired for it), but being a SC Ford may well have had one specialty dash harness with provisions. It’s not a separate harness you can just get if it’s not prewired, you’d either have to run the wires from scratch or find an entire dash harness to swap.

Cutting a hole in the bezel would be easy, you can use an image like this and blow up the area to make a template to position it in the exact right spot

Instrument Cluster Finishing Bezel w/ Auto Light Digital Cluster 1991-93 Thunderbird

Instrument Cluster Finishing Bezel w/ Auto Light Digital Cluster 1991-93 Thunderbird