Low fuel light question

andy625uk

Vehicle Details
Thunderbird LX 4.6v8 1994
Country flag
Here's my stupid question: do our cars have any kind of low fuel level warning? I normally run mine down to fumes but I've never had any lights come on when it's low.

Yes. On 94-96 cars, it is in the message center at the base of the console. On 97s, it is a bulb in the cluster. 89-93 cars only had one if they had the message center, which was standard on SCs, but a pretty rare option on base and LX birds.

The check gauges light on the tachometer on 94-96s functions as a low fuel light too.

Yes. On 94-96 cars, it is in the message center at the base of the console. On 97s, it is a bulb in the cluster. 89-93 cars only had one if they had the message center, which was standard on SCs, but a pretty rare option on base and LX birds

Thanks for clarifying. I guess I've never run it as low as I thought I had! I did get a check gauges light come on once when it was really low and I was queuing for gas on a slope but wasn't sure if that was for fuel level or something else.

Is there a dash wiring difference, on the cars that had the message center in a 96?My Black cougar came with one, that is now a wideband and switch panel. Is the wiring there to add it to the red Cougar, where it currently has a cubbyhole. I've started to work out the circuitry on the panel; I could make leds to do the functions, and add them to the wideband panel. Our cars make it easy to add a "brake lights off" switch, since all that wiring goes thru the blinker switch.

The check gauges light on the tachometer on 94-96s functions as a low fuel light too.
This drives me nuts. I see a red light come on and immediately start freaking out about engine temperature or oil pressure or voltage.

It’s telling you to check one of your gauges, totally logical 😆