No mistakes, just happy accidents

IMG_20231014_174634278.jpg
Words cannot describe how excited I currently am. It finally works. Wheels don't wobble, transmission shifts as designed, and the chirping is gone.

Little things are left. I'm swapping back to my tan carpet, I need to assemble the passenger kick panel and computer area, extend the exhaust so the tips can be seen how I want, and it needs a polish.

IMG_20231015_123153279_HDR.jpg
First real trip in about 4 years.

The tune is WAY off, the rear wheels are rubbing, the exhaust catches on the driveway, and the carpet is blocking the accelerator pedal.

But, she lives.

20231028_161721_HDR_(1).jpg
Last run of the season certainly ended in a bang.

And I mean the the transmission. 2nd gear has been completely deleted.

No noises, no grinds, just an extra neutral.

Added to the list of accomplishments.

More stuff happened, and Ill get into that later. But I have killed an M5R2.

Welcome to the club, I've taken several out myself...it always seems to be second gear too...

Probably sheared off the dogs. I had to replace second gear (and the synchro and ring and fork) on my TR3650 as they were ground to nubs

I've seen gears broken in half, laying in the bottom. Either way, easy to fix.

20231119_163117.jpgIMG_20231216_154629397_HDR.jpgIMG_20231216_154635545_HDR.jpgIMG_20231216_163816835.jpgIMG_20231216_171622618_HDR.jpg

Trailer is finally solid again. All the rotted cross members have been replaced. Rewelded all other cross members as they were only tacked in place to begin with.

Next is replacing the the front axle, bearings, and fixing multiple wiring issues. Then putting all the deck plates back on.

Nice work Glad to see you're giving the axles and bearings some attention. Those and good tires are the most important parts of a trailer. So many trailer break downs that I see on the highway are tire and bearing related.

Nice work Glad to see you're giving the axles and bearings some attention. Those and good tires are the most important parts of a trailer. So many trailer break downs that I see on the highway are tire and bearing related.
That's what started this whole debacle. A blow out going to my last drift event. I ended up using the trucks spare as the bolt pattern is the same across them both (5x5.5).

My mom brought me a spare tire to change onto the trailer wheel because the truck wheel rubbed against the frame. she followed me on the way home. She later told me the trailer looked like it was "caving in". So I dug into it and found the rotted cross members, cracks in the frame, the front axle bent and cracked, and only one brake working (due to adjustment).

Idk how it lasted the summer. We all know these cars aren't light, and the trailer was barely holding itself together.

Posting here again.

Those who are familiar with my red car, Rowdy, know the cars paint is trash. IMG_20240315_080131515~2.jpg
And while I am not planning on stripping the car down and painting it (yet), I also don't want the thing to start looking like it's been abandoned.

IMG_20240316_104912403_HDR.jpg
Spent the time and painted both upper quarter panels. Sanded down the rough spots, cleaned everything off with brake clean and blue rags, and sprayed some Rust-Oleum Sunrise red paint.

Upper fenders, front and rear bumper, flares, and roof were painted last year in the same manner. So I know it'll fade back out to match the car in about a month. And now I have at least another year of it not looking like total ass. IMG_20240317_083158338_HDR.jpg
The trunk and doors will get the same treatment at some point. But that'll wait until my next spurt of motivation.

IMG_20240317_174901938_HDR~2.jpg
I have decided the route I'm taking with the trucks paint.

I'm going to attempt it myself. The idea of spending $4k (Maacos price) or more on something that will get beat up and scratched doesn't sit well with me.

Issue is I don't have the space to paint the beast in one shot. Doesn't fit in my garage, and even if it did I am not gonna tie it up for the weeks it'd take. So I'll be doing it panels at a time.

Would love to get some feed back from body guys. My biggest fear is not prepping the metal properly and it all flakes off in a year. I will be using stripper to remove all the dead paint. And hoping to get new front doors so I don't have to deal with rust. IMG_20240321_115203311.jpgIMG_20240321_115208316_HDR.jpgIMG_20240321_115214326_HDR.jpgIMG_20240321_115229959_HDR.jpgIMG_20240321_115224705_HDR.jpgIMG_20240321_115221607_HDR.jpg

Anywhere that the paint is checked like that has to get taken down to bare metal. Use a good quality high-build primer, sprayed from a gun. The cheap harbor freight spray guns are great for projects like this, and will give you a better result and save you money compared with doing everything with rattle cans. The key to getting the paint to stick is proper prep and keeping everything clean. Anything that can be taken off should be removed rather than taped up. Anything that is going to be primed should be finish sanded with 220grit sandpaper, then when the primer cures the final sanding before paint should be 400grit wet. Take your time and read all the instructions on all the paint materials, and follow them to the letter! This includes number of coats, time between coats, temperature recommendations, gun pressure, etc. It isn’t difficult to do, but it is very time consuming, and everyone has a tendency to get antsy and try to hurry things up, and that will ruin a paint job.

Anywhere that the paint is checked like that has to get taken down to bare metal. Use a good quality high-build primer, sprayed from a gun. The cheap harbor freight spray guns are great for projects like this, and will give you a better result and save you money compared with doing everything with rattle cans. The key to getting the paint to stick is proper prep and keeping everything clean. Anything that can be taken off should be removed rather than taped up. Anything that is going to be primed should be finish sanded with 220grit sandpaper, then when the primer cures the final sanding before paint should be 400grit wet. Take your time and read all the instructions on all the paint materials, and follow them to the letter! This includes number of coats, time between coats, temperature recommendations, gun pressure, etc. It isn’t difficult to do, but it is very time consuming, and everyone has a tendency to get antsy and try to hurry things up, and that will ruin a paint job.
I am planning on stripping every panel down to bare metal as I do it. I will be using stripper since everything is metal.

Is there a specific primer you have in mind? Self etching? Normal automotive primer?

My plan was to rattle can it and use basic universal white so it's easier to touch up later. And to finish everything in those 2k clear cans you told me about.

I like the Omni high-build 2k primer. It is relatively cheap, but fills imperfections well and isn’t too hard to sand. If you are going to rattle can a whole truck, I would spray the whole thing with the rustoleum turbo can. The 2k clear rattle cans are good for wheels or mirrors or small things, but that is going to be a nightmare trying to get a nice smooth finish with those on big panels like your hood, doors, bedsides, etc. Again, Omni clear is a decent lower-priced clearcoat that is good for a budget job, and the $20 harbor freight spray gun is surprisingly good the first few times you use it. Those 2k clear rattle cans are like $20 each, and you would probably need 20 of them to get enough clearcoat on the whole truck, so you’ll be money ahead to just buy the $20 harbor freight gun, and $200 for a gallon of clear and hardener. One other thing, if you do go the rustoleum white route, rustoleum does not like to play well with other paints, so I would spray it with the rustoleum, and let that cure for like a month before sanding it down with some 1500 grit then clearcoating it. The cheap-o rattle can paints are much less finicky with being cleared over, but then that will be harder to get an even finish on the truck, and your fingers will be cramping like you wouldn’t believe trying to paint that whole truck with cheap rattle cans.

Any aversion to a wrap? Not sure what the cost of that is, but would think considerably less than paint. And if you can't find white doors it wouldn't matter.