OBDI to OBDII Convertor Cable

White Lincoln

2nd Gear Poster
Vehicle Details
1994 Mercury Cougar XR7 all stock
Country flag
Anyone ever use one those OBDI to OBDII convertor cables to hook up an OBDI car to an OBDII code reader? I was wondering if you would get better diagnostics using the convertor or you get the same readings so its a waste of money?

Attachments

• 61jwUz2AriL._AC_SL1001_.jpg
    61jwUz2AriL._AC_SL1001_.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 0
I've never used one, but I don't think you'd get anything extra over what the old-style system could provide. Just a convenience thing over the "short and blink" method of reading codes IMO.

FWIW I found the OBD self-test cycle and just reading the blinks more than satisfactory on my old '94. In some ways, having that self-test cycle available to me helped me out in ways the OBD-II wasn't capable of.

I can use my obd2 scan tool with an obd1 adapter . It doesn't do a whole lot except display the code(s) .. I can run the wiggle test, KOER and KOEO self tests .. there may be a a freeze frame, but that's about all, no live data. My tool has some limited functionality - it won't read certain quasi obd 1.5 vehicles ( 1995 GMs ). The higher end scan tools like Snap On have a bit more functionality; but there is only so much you can do with OBD1 ( it's basically just a comprehensive monitor; if there is no fault at the time, it won't display a code, no codes stored in memory ).

Having any form of hand held OBD1 reader is much better than using a paperclip and counting blinking lights.

My 83 Firebird was a "short the pins and count the flashes computer. :( That POS needed me to move the distributor when it was a warm day vs. cold day. I never got the timing properly set after I rebuilt it. That was the last 6-cyl I'm ever fucking with.

"but there is only so much you can do with OBD1 ( it's basically just a comprehensive monitor; if there is no fault at the time, it won't display a code, no codes stored in memory )."
Amen brother....

That was the last 6-cyl I'm ever fucking with.
"Shock and awe".
After spending the last 20 years cursing this 6 cylinder, I am beginning to see the benefits of it. Like how easily it will be to remove the engine and tranny and replace it with a 4.6l and tranny.... :cheers:

I've pulled a V-8 PI motor by myself.If you get the engine, harness, coils,egr stuff, and eec from the donor car, and an 02 CV or GM trans, it will go right in. You'll want a cobra radiator mod and an aluminum driveshaft, but the swap isn't terrible. Everything does fit, without a bunch of fab work, unlike upgrading my old Firebird.

I've pulled a V-8 PI motor by myself.If you get the engine, harness, coils,egr stuff, and eec from the donor car, and an 02 CV or GM trans, it will go right in. You'll want a cobra radiator mod and an aluminum driveshaft, but the swap isn't terrible. Everything does fit, without a bunch of fab work, unlike upgrading my old Firebird.
I was just going to ask about pulling the 4.6 from my 95 town car, tranny, PCM, etc and swapping it into the Cougar. When the wife gets a new car, one of the other two will need to go. Town Car or Cougar... one is reliable and will last another 100k, but the Cougar I have put my blood, sweat and tears into... lots of tears...

towncar engines work fine, but the trans is too long. It's the same as the cop cars, and uses a shorter ds than our cars. To use one, it has to have the tailshaft swapped with your original one, and the tail piece on the trans, that matches the shaft. The tailshaft is the last piece out of the trans case.

towncar engines work fine, but the trans is too long. It's the same as the cop cars, and uses a shorter ds than our cars. To use one, it has to have the tailshaft swapped with your original one, and the tail piece on the trans, that matches the shaft. The tailshaft is the last piece out of the trans case.
That I did not know. I thought it was the same setup as the 4.6 in a Cougar or Thunderbird. Very interesting. I was told the tranny was the same in my Town Car as the Cougar, but the bolting pattern to the engine was not the same (bell housing is different). I was ready to just go to the junk yard and get a used drive shaft from a V8 Thunderbird to use for the Town Car engine and tranny in the Cougar. Guess that thought is off. Meh... the Town Car is hitting 200k, maybe not a great idea to be swapping with that used of an engine and tranny, no matter how good of condition its in.

Thanks Grog for the info.

The pattern is the same except for the 91s when the modular engine briefly used the SBF bell housing pattern. The tail shaft and housing is just longer on the Town Car, otherwise it is the same basic trans

There's no advantage to it. The bolt pattern s the same, but the tailshaft is longer. ours won't fit.

If it's over 20 years old, it's not worth swapping. get a 2002, rebuild it per the recommendations, and it will last forever.

The more I look at new cars (used cars), keeping this POS running is probably a more sound idea and just fixing crap on it daily. Remember what Ford stands for? Yeah, I live that everyday. But thinking of working on a new or newer car? Ha! "I don't think so Tim."

Thanks for the info. Maybe I can find a 2002 that is crashed, low mileage, and yank the engine and tranny out of it.