What did you do with your Thunderbird Today?

For the brakes, just drive around the block a few times with them slightly applied. That will get rid of the majority of the rust off.

For the trans, get a used AT from a junk yard to get you going. Then do the MT swap when you have it all ready to go. But at this point you need to get the car moving, or you may never get the ambition to finish it.

I have the ambition to finish it. I don't have the ambition to do the other stuff around the house. I motivate myself by saying that finishing that work will get me to work on the T-Bird 😁.

THe transmission issue is just the front pump seal that's shot to shit. Could I get that fixed myself? I know the seal itself is sub $10. It's the work of getting to it that I'm not sure how to do. Then add the fact that the transmission has been severely low on ATF, would that have any impact on any of the parts of the transmission for having been dry for so long?

I have the ambition to finish it. I don't have the ambition to do the other stuff around the house. I motivate myself by saying that finishing that work will get me to work on the T-Bird 😁.

THe transmission issue is just the front pump seal that's shot to shit. Could I get that fixed myself? I know the seal itself is sub $10. It's the work of getting to it that I'm not sure how to do. Then add the fact that the transmission has been severely low on ATF, would that have any impact on any of the parts of the transmission for having been dry for so long?
It's the pump seal, or pump gasket? Gasket is super easy once you have the trans out. Seal needs a tool of I'm not mistaken (based on video I watched). If you bring the pump to a shop they may install one for a reasonable cost. I do have a trans in the garage and could send you my pump if it's the seal. But if you're seeing fluid on the ground, it's likely the gasket.

How low are we talking? It's not so much sitting there low as it is driving with it low. That burns clutches.

I have the ambition to finish it. I don't have the ambition to do the other stuff around the house. I motivate myself by saying that finishing that work will get me to work on the T-Bird 😁

Work around the house, or "house work" will NEVER be finished. Let's not motivate ourself based on a never ending cycle of chores. 🙄

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I haven't actually replaced one, but I think it installs like one of the bushings, pull it out, and press it in. I use all thread, and some washers, usually.

Whipped out the Amex card and scrapped the ice off the windshield (acknowledged that Crack needs a new windshield), fired her up and went to town.

It's the pump seal, or pump gasket? Gasket is super easy once you have the trans out. Seal needs a tool of I'm not mistaken (based on video I watched). If you bring the pump to a shop they may install one for a reasonable cost. I do have a trans in the garage and could send you my pump if it's the seal. But if you're seeing fluid on the ground, it's likely the gasket.

How low are we talking? It's not so much sitting there low as it is driving with it low. That burns clutches.

Fluid is on the ground. It's the primary reason why I parked the T-Bird originally.

The day I parked the T-Bird, I was on the freeway driving back home and saw a cloud behind me. I thought it was just weirdly hazy. I then switched lanes and saw that the "haze" followed me. I switched lanes again, and realized that the "haze" was actually smoke. I got off the freeway and parked at the parking lot of a restaurant immediately off the freeway and that's when I saw a huge plume of smoke coming up from the center of the car. I jumped out and looked under the car and saw that there was ATF just gushing out of the bell housing area and onto the ground. I let the car cool, got more ATF to pour into the transmission and drove my T-Bird home the remaining 8 miles or so from where I parked it.

After I got it home, the transmission continued to leak where I had parked it (originally in the garage, later in the driveway). Now it doesn't leak anymore, but that's because the fluid is below the leak level. I'm sure it's half empty on ATF now.

Work around the house, or "house work" will NEVER be finished. Let's not motivate ourself based on a never ending cycle of chores. 🙄

House work, work around the house. Tomato, tomatoe, right?

Anyway, finishing my son's bedroom (almost there!) and then I need to install a new bathroom fan in the master bathroom as the current one to a shit a while ago and were starting to get surface mold on the bathroom walls. I already have the fan, I just need to install it. The new fan housing is smaller than the existing (old) fan housing, so minor drywall work and paint will be needed.

When it stops going into reverse, it's time for the manual swap. Otherwise, you'll be needing a new one soon. Normally, I'd recommend finding an 02 and a rebuild kit. :) If you pull the pump apart you might as well put in the rest of the kit. And the og one isn't worth putting a kit in.Cars suck sometimes. How far are you from dan? Any chance of getting someone to help do the manual conversion?

About that transmission leak. I had similar issue and I kept checking thinking the case had to be cracked. It turned out to be the o-ring on dipstick tube. Real Bitch to change as it is bolted to back of head and almost impossible to remove. I let my bird sit for 5 years thinking I needed a new case and all. I will say I got it stopped for 20k miles but when rebuilt the mechanic had to go thru several to get large enough seal to stop it. So they are a bugger sometimes.

House work, work around the house. Tomato, tomatoe, right?

Not exactly .. the problem is; when you finish one project, I guarantee another will pop up sooner than you expect. The solution is to forgo the house maintenance and focus strictly on the Tbird. Even your Honda timing belt is getting in the way, whenever you finish that, there will be some thing else .. 🤔

Even your Honda timing belt is getting in the way

This I know. But my Honda's timing belt is required work as it's the vehicle that allows me to bring home the cheese.

After a couple months of procrastination, I finally pulled the Mark into the garage to re(re-re)pair the driver's heated seat elements.

First time I had to make a couple repairs in both the back and bottom. Second time a couple new burns formed in the bottom which needed to be repaired. It was fine for a couple years, and this time it turned out that some of the older repairs fractured (where I had a hard time getting a good solder) so I redid all the repairs.

It would be great if I didn't have to keep doing this; if the pattern continues maybe this time I won't have to mess with it for 4 years... :roll:

This I know. But my Honda's timing belt is required work as it's the vehicle that allows me to bring home the cheese.

I've seen timing belts go for 200k before the belt completely shredded. 🤔 it's a recommended interval but unless your water pump is leaking or the belt got oil on it, it can be put off for a reasonable amount of time .. 😉

I've seen timing belts go for 200k before the belt completely shredded. 🤔 it's a recommended interval but unless your water pump is leaking or the belt got oil on it, it can be put off for a reasonable amount of time .. 😉

It has 400k because I take care of it. It's already over the service interval by 15k as the current belt was installed at 285k miles.

Washed Chandar8s SuperBirdo and took it for a little drive. Installed LED headlight bulbs. Good times!

The bird got a bath and a good Saturday drive. So cool even the cops wanted a look lol

Attachments

• Snapchat-216525892.jpg
    Snapchat-216525892.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
  • 20240106_143950.jpg
    20240106_143950.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
  • 20240106_143956.jpg
    20240106_143956.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
  • 20240106_144010.jpg
    20240106_144010.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
As long as they're only looking it's good. It's those long conversations on the side of the road that get expensive. :)
He was trying his hardest to have a long conversation. followed me for about 4 miles lol

Still have to install everything, but took the bird apart to press on new rear upper inner bushings. Old ones were shot.

IMG_4474.jpegIMG_4473.jpegE0E684AF-58FE-4898-ACAB-0CC854BA32F2.jpeg

first guy I asked to press em wanted to charge me 250$ 😂 either nobody does it or the guy who does it took off for the day 😡 ended up buying a harbor freight press for 170$. Took about 20 mins to press in and out. No @&!$ing way, would this press be able to press on new bearing and stuff on our differentials??
72688808720__22DD353A-1ACE-4ECB-BDB9-AEB8F825E5F5.jpeg

Yes; but you should have sprung for the 20 ton .. the biggest part of using the press is having the correct adapters to support / press the bearings without damage.

I got mine started for the first time in almost 2 months...got my new daily so I've been focused on it. She wasn't very happy, battery was about dead, I've got a hesitation (this happened the last time I had it out), could be o2s, plugs or a dirty maf...been so cold I just haven't messed with it...need to get going on it, hoping to get it painted before Carlisle this year, plus Bill told me my new seat covers will be at his shop in around a week so I get to grab those after work one day in the next week or two...

Cleared the foot of snow off it and let it run in the driveway to warm up.

E9803346-E94C-49CC-9033-23A0C091FDF2.jpeg

0F2B346A-CF4B-4032-993E-5FDC70E92DDD.jpeg

My initial reaction is I like that better than where you had it before. What will you do with the hole you cut in the center console trim panel?

I'm building up an Amazon return list of potential upgrades I've test-fitted in the center console storage bin and didn't fit. I'm up to three items to return now and it could be four by the end of the weekend.

For the things I keep in there, I need some better organization. A tall, undivided bin isn't getting the job done when I've got another idea in the works that requires that space to be more structured. Working with the asymmetrical footprint of the '94-97 bin (look at the removable rubber lining) has been maddening.

My initial reaction is I like that better than where you had it before. What will you do with the hole you cut in the center console trim panel?

Ugh, tell moi about it...

For the time being, it's a non-functional button. Long-term plan is a power glovebox release which will allow me to wrap the entire glovebox door in faux suede, just like the driver side lower dash.

20240120_155013.jpg

This button was super awkward to use while driving. The new one is perfectly placed.

I say make the button red and print and apply a white-on-clear decal that says EJECT. Eject what? I was thinking passenger seat, but I guess the glove box would be more realistic.

Or wire it up to a truck, train, or ship horn.