Chatbox Thread

We usually only decorate for Christmas and for that we swap out the flood and accent lights on the house for red and green ones. Otherwise I don't have the time or patience to do it.

I kind of have a dream of installing LED accent lighting around the outside of the house that I could simply program to change colors and never take it down.

Wall wash lighting is great

I kind of have a dream of installing LED accent lighting around the outside of the house that I could simply program to change colors and never take it down.
I did this with the landscape lights that point at my house. They use MR16 bulbs, which is fine. What's not fine is that my light housings are solid brass and interfere with Wi-Fi signals reaching the bulbs, although the brass housings are great by any other measure.

Instead of being able to use bulbs that are compatible with the more modern and versatile Smart Life ecosystem, I'm using Mi-Light, which has the worst-looking phone app I've ever seen and requires a proprietary hub. Granted, that hub is probably why the signal to the bulbs is stronger than straight Wi-Fi. I'm also limited to a few preset effects with no ability to program my own.

Goofiest in traffic conversation today, I was basically idling along in stop and go and heard a guy yell to me what sounded like “Charger?”

And I’m like “uhh, what???”

“Is it supercharged?”

Me:“Oh no, naturally aspirated”

“Aww too bad, my friend used to have one who added a supercharger”

Me:“Cool, what’s his name?”(genuinely curious if it’s somebody I knew)

long bewildered pause… “uh Michael something or other ”

Me:“ah nah, I was wondering if I knew him”

“They’re cool cars, they had factory turbos, didn’t they?

Me: “Superchargers actually but yup in the 89-90s and Tbird SC”

“Too bad it’s not supercharged, why’s your exhaust loud?

Me:“I like it”

“You know that doesn’t do anything for performance, right?”

Me: “yeah, I did other stuff”

“That’s cool” traffic starts moving “well see ya”

Went to my local pick a part yard today. Slimmest picking for MN12 I've ever seen. MN12s are mixed in with the Mustangs now. Never ever been like that here before. 2 Cougars, 3 birds. That was it.

“That’s cool” traffic starts moving “well see ya”
:)

Some memorable remarks from the locals:

"Nice. 80s." Ive also had someone guess 2000s
and
"Nice BMW!" kid was like 12 so I let slide

Went to my local pick a part yard today. Slimmest picking for MN12 I've ever seen. MN12s are mixed in with the Mustangs now. Never ever been like that here before. 2 Cougars, 3 birds. That was it.
I'm envious of that selection! Last time I saw 5 MN12s in one yard was probably 8 years ago. They've always been mixed and matched here, or at least within a Ford section" junkyarding for me has always been a bit a scavenger hunt

:)

Some memorable remarks from the locals:

"Nice. 80s." Ive also had someone guess 2000s
and
"Nice BMW!" kid was like 12 so I let slide

I can understand that. I can't explain why but I was a little kid I thought MN12 bodystyle came before the 87-88 bodystyle. Weirdly even though I was alive when MN12s were being produced they always seemed like older cars even during their run in the 90s.

I'll also say these cars aged remarkably well, Ford never jellybeaned them like the 94-98 SN95 Mustang so in the 00s the slightly boxier late 80s aero design actually matched Ford's "new edge" styling themes well.

I did this with the landscape lights that point at my house. They use MR16 bulbs, which is fine. What's not fine is that my light housings are solid brass and interfere with Wi-Fi signals reaching the bulbs, although the brass housings are great by any other measure.

Instead of being able to use bulbs that are compatible with the more modern and versatile Smart Life ecosystem, I'm using Mi-Light, which has the worst-looking phone app I've ever seen and requires a proprietary hub. Granted, that hub is probably why the signal to the bulbs is stronger than straight Wi-Fi. I'm also limited to a few preset effects with no ability to program my own.
I've been looking at these. https://a.co/d/ihwkghs

Heading home for my 1-week vacation (as I call it!)
uc

Hey, a week away from work is a vacation in my book!

Going to be headed to the west coast in a little over a week for some R&R of my own. We'll be staying with family in SW Oregon, and plan to visit the redwood national park and Crater Lake. If anyone knows of other stuff we should check out that'd make a good day trip from that area, I'm all ears! :)

I dropped by the other place; indian spam has been up all morning, and No one is moderating, lol. I'm no longer a mod. :)
Only ShadowDragon is still a mod. And Jeff.

Same here .. just found out my 90yo grandmother died and the funeral service is in Oregon this month.
Sorry to hear that.

Looks like the service will be held in Portland on the 28th. Correction, she was 94. All of my relatives on my dads are in the Beaverton area. I'll need to figure out travel arrangements. It's a really long drive.

Im near Portland. DM me if you'd like me to buy you a drink! Best wishes

Yay.

Remember that lady who was in court for giving a gun to her kid, not seeking help for the kid, and not warning the administration that he had issues/access to a gun when they called her the day of the shooting?
Well, she was just convicted of 4 charges of manslaughter

Its kind of hard to convince a jury that you are a "hypervigilent mother" when all the indications point to a different conclusion. The prosecutor saying she was more involved with her horses and her extramarital affair than her kid cuts deep. They might put her away for 15 years for being such a shitty parent. We'll see.

I think if you give your unstable kid a gun, and ignore his behavior problems, you deserve to go to jail.I had guns at a young age; had I shown signs like he did, they would have beaten the fuck out of me, and taken my guns.They would have cared if I wanted to kill people. They never had a problem with any of the fights I got into, even at school. :) Had I went home for a gun, it would have been totally different response on their side.

I hope this case sets a positive precedent, there may well be too many guns and loopholes out there but the enabling and psychological trauma behind them starts at home, most of the parents of mass shooters seem to fall somewhere in the spectrum between aloof and whacko.

Yeah, my parents would have reacted completely differently if they were concerned that I was thinking of murdering people. I remember one of my teachers being freaked out about the battle scenes we sketched at school, during the Vietnam war. We were all watching the daily walter cronkite news on tv, that always included the body count for the day. Looking back, it was pretty bad as a whole. Things aren't like that at all now. People like that should stand out more, and get the help they need. Even if that means learning Kung Fu to deal with bullies at school. It worked for kids in my school. :)