Post a picture you took today

View attachment 5223

Glass installed. Had to order some clips for a mustang to see if they will work for the top trim. If not, Bill has one NOS that he'll sell for $450. 😳View attachment 5224
Back glass is also in. I'll share my success or failure of the moulding in my thread

You have any leftovers from the 94 doner? The top trim and windshield moldings are way better designed than the 89-92(and Tbird) pieces. The roof pieces are held onto the roof with only pop rivets and screws, no clips. Body color too though I suspect you don’t want more shit painted lol

You have any leftovers from the 94 doner? The top trim and windshield moldings are way better designed than the 89-92(and Tbird) pieces. The roof pieces are held onto the roof with only pop rivets and screws, no clips. Body color too though I suspect you don’t want more shit painted lol
So I had thought about updating, but the shop had cut the car in two without removing the trim. To be fair I didn't think they'd cut the car in half, so didn't tell them to remove it.

I think I'll caulk that bitch on before giving him $450. I did have them paint all of the trim satin black, so it looks new minus the rubber missing. Hoping I can find something to work there.

I just had mine replaced today. Safelite was the only place I could find one. The worst part is they don't do phone calls, so you can't talk to a person until the day before service. That's when I asked if I could just buy the glass and have someone else install it. They couldn't do that but they got me the managers phone#. He advised I could bring the car in and he would personally do it. He stated his techs wouldn't know how to do it.

Was missing parts the reason that he said the techs wouldn't know how to do it? I have an appointment tomorrow to have Safelite put in a new windshield. Hopefully they know how to do it when they get here :oops:

Looks like a brake or wheel hub fire on the right side of the dolly based on how it's leaning. Those dollies are converted from old trailer axles that get repurposed into a dolly once the trailer's lifespan is used up. They're old and almost always fitted with drum brakes.

My guess would either be a 1.) wheel seal lost its oil and the hub burnt up, or 2.) a brake chamber malfunctioned and started dragging the brake shoe until the drum got red hot and lit the tire on fire.

There's little damage to the trailer and the tires aren't melted away. Looks like the Driver knew what he was doing and got it put out fast. Disconnecting the tractor is common practice when the trailer catches fire. Saia is a solid company and they keep their trucks maintained well. I know one of their safety managers. I'll ask him what it was.

That seems to be the case. A few frames later you can kind of see where the right side tire should have been. Just a mangled mess now.

PXL_20240424_183935931.TS_exported_21007_1713988276636.jpg

iirc,Disk brakes are illegal on trucks like that; it's supposed to be a simple linkage, that is easily inspectable by a trooper on the side of the road.
So many trucks have brakes that are properly working fail, that they really are dicks about it, on purpose. I've seen a trooper smack a trucker after looking under his truck 30 years ago lol. He really didn't like the coat hanger used as a repair. i could see the hook still there as I drove by lol.

That seems to be the case. A few frames later you can kind of see where the right side tire should have been. Just a mangled mess now.

View attachment 5234
It was indeed a brake fire. Still an awesome job by the Driver to not let the whole trailer catch fire.

iirc,Disk brakes are illegal on trucks like that; it's supposed to be a simple linkage, that is easily inspectable by a trooper on the side of the road.
So many trucks have brakes that are properly working fail, that they really are dicks about it, on purpose. I've seen a trooper smack a trucker after looking under his truck 30 years ago lol. He really didn't like the coat hanger used as a repair. i could see the hook still there as I drove by lol.
Disc brakes have been legal and in-service for decades now on commercial trucks. They're far more reliable than the drums since they do not have to be adjusted manually or automatically. They also don't fade when they overheat. And same as a car, the braking power is significantly stronger from a truck disc system over a drum system.

FMCSA shortened the maximum stopping distance from 60mph to 250' for a Class 8 vehicle (when fully loaded to GVWR) back in 2011. That opened the floodgates for disc brake use in big rigs.

I'm glad my local road isn't covered with poorly maintained coal trucks anymore. :) I used to walk to school in the 60's, and there was one crossing that saw coal trucks, all day. Them running the red light where we crossed was not unusual, being unable to stop at the bottom of a long hill.
Kids had to be fast back then, or you didn't make it.

Last edited:
Was missing parts the reason that he said the techs wouldn't know how to do it? I have an appointment tomorrow to have Safelite put in a new windshield. Hopefully they know how to do it when they get here :oops:
The trim is the issue.. it's just how thick the glue is that determines if the trim sits flush with the glass. If they're taking off the old, it should be straight forward.

I overused this joke this week but... That is one cool spider!:smokin:

20240426_073629.jpg
Woke up to Aurora exploring and then basking in her lamp once it kicked on around 7am.. while my cats are doing the same by the sliding glass door.

Attachments

• 20240426_065438.jpg
    20240426_065438.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
My friends and I are back in Ensenada for the 2024 Mexican 1000.
We took 2nd place in stock UTV in our last race 5 years ago so our hope is to finish this race and hopefully do better this time around....
1000016313.jpg

My friends and I are back in Ensenada for the 2024 Mexican 1000.
We took 2nd place in stock UTV in our last race 5 years ago so our hope is to finish this race and hopefully do better this time around....
View attachment 5265
What's the "stock" requirements? That doesn't look stock. Just drivetrain?

What's the "stock" requirements? That doesn't look stock. Just drivetrain?
1) the Wildcat XX came with Fox shocks, most of the cage in place. We upgraded from a spring set to a spring+revalved shock set, gussets/sleeves for a few different cage components.

2) safety equipment is unlimited: mods to the cage for increased reliability, upgraded skin plate, seats/harnesses

3) tires up to a certain size (I think these are 38") allowed, control arms must remain stock size (widening track = modified NA clas)

4) stock fuel tank. Ecu upgrade allowed but we didn't do that because that cuts into range (our sibling team did this and ran out of gas in our first race). We didn't.

5) various satellite/GPS mounts needed for navigation. Some small mods like a second bushing to hold the steering rack at both ends (stock only held the rack at one end)

6) biggest upgrade from our first race was replacing the axles (original design had a defect where if you hit a hill and dropped the suspension to its lowest point, the axle boots would be nicked by the control arms. This BS cost us 4 spare axles and 4 rebuilt axles (we put new boots on them) between two vehicles. New design doesn't have this issue.

Exact rules
13.3 Production N/A UTV
This category is for production based naturally aspirated UTVs with the addition of safety gear and limited performance
modifications. Window nets and 5-point harnesses are required. Side doors are required to be added if not originally
equipped with such. Stock cages, stock gas tanks (must run stock fuel pump and stock configuration if using a production
tank) stock seats are all acceptable in this category. Basic safety items as required for all cars are also required such as
first aid kits, fire extinguishers, horns, rear amber lights, etc.

 Vehicles in this category must maintain the stock wheelbase as OEM manufactured and may not exceed 80” in
width measured from the outside of the tire bulge.
 OEM suspension pivot points and wheelbase must be maintained.
 Wheel size is open, tire size is limited to 35” measured on the car with a square at 18 PSI.
 The following performance items may be replaced: wheels, tires, brakes, shocks/springs, exhaust, ECU/tune,
lights, clutch springs, suspension arms, radiator and radiator placement. No other performance mods are
permitted. The 80” width rule shall be the only limiting rule for suspension arms (also accounting for
aftermarket/oversized wheels and tires). The car must fit though an 80” wide gate opening.
 Aftermarket Brakes are allowed in UTV classes.
 Non-performance upgrades are allowed including items such as lighting, cage upgrades, seats, fuel cells however
these are optional.
 Forced induction (Turbos or Superchargers) are not allowed in this category.
 This UTV category is limited to 1000cc.

Resized_20240426_155839.jpeg

These little fuckers hatched about a week ago .. now they're learning how to fly and shitting all over my garage. 🤨