Space stuff

Guys, there's an opportunity to add your name to the list of peeps that will go to the moon on Artemis.

Birdcats.jpg

My Dads name is on the microfilm "Lunar Bible Set" that went to the moon on Apollo 12. :) He Was at Northwestern univ at Evanston in '70 With one of the astronauts' brother.

I did the "send your name around the moon" with Artemis I. I also recently learned that my grandfather was heavily involved in the Mercury program in the '50s; his name was on at least one nose cone that went up with the original 7 (OK, I guess technically 6) astronauts. My uncle supposedly has a stash of vintage photos from that time period; I need to pester him to see and scan them. :)

We got our KSC passes along with seating to view the Axiom-3 launch by the Saturn-V center along the Banana Creek. We'll see if it goes up while we're there - weather looks unstable that week.

A suggestion on older relatives: Get with them, scan photos, get them to label people. I have shitloads of old photos that I'm unsure who people are.

There's another launch tomorrow, sometime after 10 am. I heard 10 pm launch, so that'' be a fuck of a countdown, lol. Let me see what space.com says...

10:34 p.m. ET (0234 UTC on the 7th) That's the Boeing crewed mission test. Their tests haven't been great. There's certainly a nascar feel to this one. "Will these guys buy it today, and close Boeing forever?" I'll be making popcorn, lol.

Last edited:
They scrubbed early. Hopefully tomorrow.

The first G4 class geomagnetic storm since 2005 is happening this weekend.

It's clear tonight so I'll be looking. Anyone else keeping their eyes open?

1715389460173.jpeg

It was too cloudy here this morning to see it!

Joe

I didn't get that nice of a display. If you had to guess what percent of that your eyes could see, what would that be? I could only see 50% of what my phone could pick up

That photo is a 30 second ISO400 exposure on my DSLR, with contrast maxed out and a few other tweaks in Photoshop RAW.

In reality it was a greenish-gray haze with visible contrast definition on the lower color bands and some of the vertical streaking, but it was still pretty dim. It was easily mistaken for fog or low clouds!

This is more like what we could see in person (between all the cars that were driving up with their headlights blinding us :mad:):
1715439917434.png

While I'm at it, here are a couple of the other pics I processed this morning. One I took looking east towards Cleveland, but the best views were north over the lake.

1715440012064.png
1715440061355.png

The glow in the far distance is most likely London, ON - about 110 miles away.

That photo is a 30 second ISO400 exposure on my DSLR, with contrast maxed out and a few other tweaks in Photoshop RAW.

In reality it was a greenish-gray haze with visible contrast definition on the lower color bands and some of the vertical streaking, but it was still pretty dim. It was easily mistaken for fog or low clouds!

This is more like what we could see in person (between all the cars that were driving up with their headlights blinding us :mad:):
View attachment 5537

While I'm at it, here are a couple of the other pics I processed this morning. One I took looking east towards Cleveland, but the best views were north over the lake.

View attachment 5538
View attachment 5539

The glow in the far distance is most likely London, ON - about 110 miles away.
What time did you take these last night? I'm near Terre Haute, IN and was hoping to see some of this. I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be visible all weekend.

I wonder how many satellites Starlink lost to this solar storm? They lost 38 in the 2022 solar storm despite having the ionosphere to protect them.

I never really used Starlink until this trip to Baja; its pretty amazing to see it work.

Interesting. I hadn't heard that they'd lost some satellites in 2022.

I've used Starlink a couple of times both in Texas and down in Mexico. I was very impressed with it's speed.

Those are some awesome shots, Brandon! I'd send them to Astronomy Magazine! Sky and Telescope was also a good one. I'd never seen the magnetic field lines at the north pole before! That's both Awesome, and good science! send it to people! The colors here were red purple, and green. Green is O3 ions,Excited oxygen atoms shine red when they are more than 120 miles above the surface and glow green from 60 to 120 miles. Excited nitrogen atoms give off pink or purple hues below 120 miles. Dancing green or purple auroras are typically seen at higher latitudes. It has to do with the lifetime of the ions; the longer it takes for the ion to hit something else to lose the ionizations, the more energy it can absorb, before it's neutralized, and emits a photon. Red is lowest energy, uv is the most. A blue photon has a lot more energy. Different color photons are more likely at differen't atmospheric pressure vs altitude.
B, will you send me the one thith the circles, in the highest res you have? I'd make a poster out of that! My local ups store does poster prints, 3'x 4' for 150. :)

The russian army has the full support of Elon. :( (I should explain. He turned off starlink access to the Ukranian Armed forces during several crucial battles.)
Ron, do you have your camera gear with you? Some people travel with it, most don't. :)

Last edited:
The best camera I ever found, for astrophotography, was a minolta SRT-101. It has a lever to flip up the mirror, and do long exposures, without killing a battery. As a kid, I bought old clocks at the local pawnshop. The hour hand is the right speed for an equatorial tracker. With the help of one of my neighbors, I built a great equatorial tracker. It took years of refinement to get it right. I guess that was the first engineering project I did, lol.
Those cameras no longer work, you can't get the mercury- based batteries they need. :(

The russian army has the full support of Elon. :( (I should explain. He turned off starlink access to the Ukranian Armed forces during several crucial battles.)
Ron, do you have your camera gear with you? Some people travel with it, most don't. :)
No, unfortunately I don’t. I just got back from a drive out into the country side to find some relatively dark sky. The best I saw were a few flickers across the sky. Didn’t even try to take a picture with my phone.

One of my neighbors back home in Charlotte captured this spectacular shot last night.

IMG_9228.jpeg

I didn't find the lights on saturday. I hadn't heard about the day 1 event until it already happened. I got pretty high up on altitude, not a cloud in sight, and in a dark enough location that I couldn't see stuctures without the headlamps on. Cruising up and down normally trivial veins of road looking for darkness was pretty fun though. Theres a bunch of new development being established, just empty burbs without buildings. The spots would have been great to perch on, but they have new streets lights up too and they are bright. Probably too bright for comfort, but the bright side is that most manufacturers have been trying to sell street lamps that point downward more than ever