Chatbox Thread

Do the idiots with guns really cause you problems? It's interesting here in that the gun issues are 99% from those who can no longer possess them legally.

A new house about 1500sq ft around here is in the $425-475k range. House of the same size built in the 70's that had been redone or kept up is $250k.

A bigger issue is rent is more than a payment here, so saving for a down payment is so difficult. There are plenty 97% or 100% financing options, though.
Best I can say, print wise, but anecdotally, some people should not own guns.

I've had firearms since I was a child;
every saturday and sunday was shooting. either saturday at the range with the cops(they qualified on saturday), or Shooting rats at the dump. :) I didn't know it was for money until after my dad died, lol. I got a .38 pistol when I was 12. I don't really remember getting my .22. But I was 5 when we moved out of the house we lived in then. I sold my "atrocity weapons", but I still own a range of guns.

Best I can say, print wise, but anecdotally, some people should not own guns.

I've had firearms since I was a child;
every saturday and sunday was shooting. either saturday at the range with the cops(they qualified on saturday), or Shooting rats at the dump. :) I didn't know it was for money until after my dad died, lol. I got a .38 pistol when I was 12. I don't really remember getting my .22. But I was 5 when we moved out of the house we lived in then. I sold my "atrocity weapons", but I still own a range of guns.
Alright, I'll bite. What's an atrocity weapon? A Jennings Saturday night special? A jam o matic tech 9? A 10mm money waster?

What worries me the most is not "ghost Glocks" but the rapid rise of autoswitches.
Those things are goddamn uncontrollable.

I used to own a Century Arms CETME C. It was a south african copy of an h&k 91, and is 7.62 nato, with 20 and 30 round mags. Semi-auto, but effective. 20 round mags were 0.95 each, if you bought 20+ :) Most guns are convertable, If you're willing to risk prison. I worried about it being stolen, and them using it. I sold it to a gunstore so that wasn't my problem.

I used to own a Century Arms CETME C. It was a south african copy of an h&k 91, and is 7.62 nato, with 20 and 30 round mags. Semi-auto, but effective. 20 round mags were 0.95 each, if you bought 20+ :) Most guns are convertable, If you're willing to risk prison. I worried about it being stolen, and them using it. I sold it to a gunstore so that wasn't my problem.
What always kept me away from g3s, Cetme, FALs, and ar10s was the price of 7.62x51 or 308.

Even at its milsurp cheapest pre Obama that stuff was 40-50c/rd. If you wanted to throw a bigger round than 5.56 down range, 7.62x39 was as cheap as 15c/Rd for corrosive.

if you wanted to throw a bigger round more accurately, 7.5 swiss was similar priced and noone was gonna shoot that much out of a bolt action.

as far as converting to full auto, I'm pretty sure it's more involved than swapping out trigger packs. I think there is something about welding in a support shelf because the semi auto trigger pack has some bits removed. I don't think it's as easy as a DIAS or a Glock auto switch

They make it difficult. And if someone mods a semi to auto, it's ikely to be unreliable at best. I'm all for legality. full auto weapons are dangerous, as many owners find out, much to their owners dismay, lol. I owned a uzi, back i the 70's, 32 rounds of 9mm. It was a super soaker from hell. My biggest concern was shooting myself by losing control. I've still got an mpa 10, which is a .45acp semi- auto copy of mac 10. It's a lot of fun. :)

One of the other forums I'm on had someone start a thread, complaining about how they "can't sell things" anymore because of the lowered thresholds for mandatory 1099-K issuance when exceeding a certain sales volume.

The law requiring all sales to be reported as income hasn't changed... only the law dropping the dollar amount at which point the banks are required to tell the IRS when you're breaking the law have. :)

It’s still fucking stupid. I don’t know if it’s still in place but eBay put in a pissy little $600 threshold and I legit pulled a listing to stay just below it.

They didn’t expect everyone would honestly report every meager private sale so there was no need to institute a lowered threshold on places like banks or sites to report it. I guess since we’re funding every war in the world by proxy however the little guy now needs to pony up. The IRS and the lawmakers can go screw. Get it from Bezos and Elon.

If you make $10 dealing weed, you still owe taxes. You will have problems paying them, most places, lol.

They're not going to cut the Military, and they get most of it, in normal times. This has been a rough few years. I still have the card I was issued as a "Necessary worker" in 2020. I repaired medical equipment, including ventilators.

They're not going to cut the Military, and they get most of it, in normal times. This has been a rough few years. I still have the card I was issued as a "Necessary worker" in 2020. I repaired medical equipment, including ventilators.
I remember when we invaded Iraq and the obnoxious boomer side of the anti-war left emerged en masse shouting mindlessly how they would not support war under any circumstances.

I'm not saying that I disagreed, but I happily enjoyed informing the most insufferable ones that they were directly supporting the war effort by paying their taxes. Usually that tidbit of info shut them up enough to where I could stand to be around them.

Or you could drastically reduce all government spending and maybe stop robbing people through taxation!
Ok, I’ll play along. We already know and agree that the wealthy and corporations don’t pay their fair share so, we dramatically reduce government spending and stop robbing people (everyone else who still pays taxes) through taxation. How do we pay the debt, fund the military, pay for transportation infrastructure, police, fire, social security, etc.?

What government spending would you cut?

What government spending would you cut?
All. I see government as nothing but the biggest and most powerful criminal gang. I believe all the “services” they provide would all be provided for better faster and cheaper if they were provided on a free market and anyone and everyone could voluntarily choose what they would pay for and what they wouldn’t, instead of being stolen from to fund the government monopoly while being told it is for their own good. But even if I’m wrong, and it would cost more to have competition instead of a monopoly (which has literally never happened), I see this as a moral issue. You have the right to yourself and all you produce, and I have the same right, and any use of force or coercion to deprive someone of their life, their liberty, or their property is a violation of their rights, and the fact that an individual or a group thinks they know better does not give them the right to impose their will, regardless of whether they are right or not.

To address your individual things you mentioned
1) I don’t believe that wealthy people don’t pay their “fair share”. If a billionaire goes to buy a gallon of milk he pays the same $4.50 that you or I do. The same is true for every good or service provided by the free market, but somehow when the government provides the services, the “fair” price is no longer the same for everyone, but rather a percentage of their income, and as if that wasn’t bad enough, you can’t even leave it there, but you want the wealthier people to pay a higher percentage of their income. To call this “fair” is completely nonsensical. What it really is is jealousy masquerading as virtue to justify theft.

2) Debt. The debt will never be paid. It can never be paid. The US government is so insolvent it is a joke, and anyone who continues to lend to them deserves to lose their money on such a foolish investment. However the US government is also the most powerful organization that has ever existed in human history, and it uses its power to force other nations to go along with their Ponzi scheme that is the US dollar. So how should the debt be dealt with? We should default honestly by admitting we are bankrupt. How will it be dealt with? We will default dishonestly by trying to inflate the currency to reduce the cost of the debt, but we haven’t learned to control our spending, so we will continue to increase spending while inflating the currency, leading to a debt spiral that will eventually collapse the currency.

3) Military. If we went back to the mentality of “free trade with all nations, entangling alliances with none”, and stopped trying to be an empire that rules the world, then we would need a much smaller military, which would be much easier to fund voluntarily.

4) Transportation infrastructure. In theory, the gas tax and your vehicle registration fee is supposed to pay for roads. Most bridges have tolls, as do some highways, and I see no problem with that. Train and airplane companies can work together to share costs and infrastructure for their respective industries without government intervention, in the same way that phone companies share infrastructure to allow people with Verizon to call people with AT&T.

5) Police. Private security is much more effective than the government monopoly that is called the police. With all the abuses of police power, corruption, civil asset forfeiture, unjustified shootings of unarmed people (think about the acorn guy!), I find it very hard to understand the concept of the police as a force for good. I’m sure there are good people who are police officers, but they would do just fine in a private security world, whereas the corrupt abusive bullies who are often attracted to that profession would quickly be unemployable in a private industry setting where companies have to complete for customers, who don’t want to be held responsible for their reckless abusive behavior.

6) Fire. Again, private industry solves this. Payment to a fire company could be considered similar to an insurance policy premium, and if you choose not to pay, they would have no obligation to put the fire out if your house was burning. I would also imagine that in this world where fire companies are funded directly by local homeowners, then banks and insurance companies would make fire company contracts a requirement to get mortgages or home insurance policies. This is probably the least complicated issue to resolve without resorting to government.

7) Social security. I think most people would have a much easier time saving for their retirement if 1/3 of their income wasn’t being stolen from them for their entire working life and the value of their savings wasn’t constantly being stolen through inflation. As for other forms of social security, like caring for people who are disabled, this is where family and local community and charity come into play. Statists seem to think that if it weren’t for the government forcing everyone to pay for the downtrodden by stealing from them, then it wouldn’t happen, but not only is this refuted by the fact that charity does continue to exist alongside government programs, but the very existence of the government programs disincentivizes charity, since people no longer feel that people in their family or their community are their responsibility. You paid your taxes, so the government should take care of them. The problem is when you paid your taxes, you were robbed, and now you ask the robber to spend his ill gotten funds in the way that you want. How about if he just didn’t rob you, and you can spend your money how you want, and I can spend my money how I want, and we all go through life respecting each other’s property rights instead of trying to justify theft by claiming it is somehow charitable for you to steal my money and spend some of it on him?

The U.S. government has an income problem to their spending habit. Unfortunately, is little peons are the ones who have been funding the income side of it and the math just isn't mathing anymore. It hasn't been for quite some time.

If we cut spending, there are two huge white elephants in the room, military and senior benefits, and nobody wants to even acknowledge them. Everything else is peanuts in comparison.

There will be a time in the future where the government will have to both cut spending from somewhere AND increase taxes to make the math, math again.

+1000 and unfortunately those elephants are sacred elephants to the point of heresy at the mere suggestion of spending reductions accounting or ROI(in my opinion if you can't decisively win a war within 5 years with the highest tech highest budgeted military on the planet, it's not a war we should be in). Contrary to the warhawks we won't all be speaking Russian if our military budget wasn't the size of every other country's on the planet combined. Our goal of spreading Democracy via force is just a gentler(sounding) form of imperialism, the goal hasn't changed; Cheap labor land access and resources. Meanwhile we have a stripmined manufacturing base, dieing small towns riddled with drug addiction and a homeless population worse than ever ...but I'm supposed to be standing with the middle east, Ukraine, Israel?

Across the board there should be similar accounting for bloat reduction, just look at all the useless shit that gets attached to spending packages. It's completely unsustainable. Kicking the can down the road isn't even an appropriate analogy anymore, there's so many fucking cans!

I'm not against taxation if it goes somewhere to make life better for the people paying, but it's clearly not. If the rich aren't going to pay their fair share, who by the way have their fingers on the scale of policy in form of campaign contributions/donations(bribes) and are the real reason for the US's involvement in foreign affairs, and the only option is to get it from the lower working classes to sustain the status quo, then fuck it, let it crumble.

Everyone thinks Social security Is funded by the government. It's not. Look at your paycheck: The amount you pay every week of your working life, is a proportion of your income, until you make a huge amount of money. Then you pay nothing. But you get SS proportional to what you made over the best 10 years of your life. You paid for it out of every check you ever got. It's not free. It's catastrophic care insurance, as well as a minimal retirement. Most Americans get the minimum; ~800 bux a month, to pay everything. I'm lucky; I had a massive stroke, at work, and fell out when I got home. Without SS, I'd be fucked. I made decent money most of my life, after I graduated school. If you make 85k a year for 10 years, you might rate $2000 a month.
Much better than 800, but not party money. No one besides the wealthy gets more than that. The minimum was the average award in 2021, when I was navigating this.
I qualified for Disability only because I was unconscious for a month. I went down on July 7th; I woke up with no left side of my body in August, the 7th. It took 2 years, of no funds whatsoever, to finally get disability. I saw dozens of doctors, It's not easy to do. And I get reviewed; if I recover, I won't get it anymore.

All. I see government as nothing but the biggest and most powerful criminal gang. I believe all the “services” they provide would all be provided for better faster and cheaper if they were provided on a free market and anyone and everyone could voluntarily choose what they would pay for and what they wouldn’t, instead of being stolen from to fund the government monopoly while being told it is for their own good. But even if I’m wrong, and it would cost more to have competition instead of a monopoly (which has literally never happened), I see this as a moral issue. You have the right to yourself and all you produce, and I have the same right, and any use of force or coercion to deprive someone of their life, their liberty, or their property is a violation of their rights, and the fact that an individual or a group thinks they know better does not give them the right to impose their will, regardless of whether they are right or not.

Wow, there's a lot to unpackage here.

To address your individual things you mentioned
1) I don’t believe that wealthy people don’t pay their “fair share”. If a billionaire goes to buy a gallon of milk he pays the same $4.50 that you or I do. The same is true for every good or service provided by the free market, but somehow when the government provides the services, the “fair” price is no longer the same for everyone, but rather a percentage of their income, and as if that wasn’t bad enough, you can’t even leave it there, but you want the wealthier people to pay a higher percentage of their income. To call this “fair” is completely nonsensical. What it really is is jealousy masquerading as virtue to justify theft.

A: Absolutely the wealthy and corporations don't pay their "fair share". You're confusing sales tax with income tax. Yes, they pay the same sales tax that we all do. But income tax? If you don't work a regular 9 to 5 job like any working schmuck you don't pay income tax. The biggest income tax loophole is the definition of income. For most people, what counts as income is simple to see—it’s their salary, and maybe, if they’re lucky, a bonus. Yet for the very wealthy, salary is trivial—if they earn one at all. That’s not where their riches come from.

Then there's the "Charity" loophole, the Insurance loophole, the list friggin goes on and on how the wealthy have crafted the system to their favor.

See:

Compare the ordinary income tax bracket to the long term capital gains tax bracket. See the difference? This didn't happen by chance.

2023-Tax-Brackets.jpg

Capital Gains_ Definition.png
2) Debt. The debt will never be paid. It can never be paid. The US government is so insolvent it is a joke, and anyone who continues to lend to them deserves to lose their money on such a foolish investment. However the US government is also the most powerful organization that has ever existed in human history, and it uses its power to force other nations to go along with their Ponzi scheme that is the US dollar. So how should the debt be dealt with? We should default honestly by admitting we are bankrupt. How will it be dealt with? We will default dishonestly by trying to inflate the currency to reduce the cost of the debt, but we haven’t learned to control our spending, so we will continue to increase spending while inflating the currency, leading to a debt spiral that will eventually collapse the currency.

A: Yes, the debt will never be paid. What we do need though, and don't have, is a balanced budget. Primarily the best way to deal with it is to roll back the tax cuts. Giving large tax cuts to the wealthy and corporations does nothing to control the debt, it only exacerbates the problem. The true cause of rising debt is not excessive spending but reduced federal income. "In fact, relative to earlier projections, spending is down, not up. But revenues are down significantly more. If not for the Bush tax cuts - and their extensions - as well as the Trump tax cuts revenues would be on track to keep pace with spending indefinitely, and the debt ratio (debt as a percentage of the economy) would be declining. Instead, these tax cuts have added $10 trillion to the debt since their enactment and are responsible for 57 percent of the increase in the debt ratio since 2001, and more than 90 percent of the increase in the debt ratio if the one-time costs of bills responding to COVID-19 and the Great Recession are excluded. Eventually, the tax cuts are projected to grow to more than 100 percent of the increase."

Source: https://www.americanprogress.org/ar...ly-responsible-for-the-increasing-debt-ratio/

3) Military. If we went back to the mentality of “free trade with all nations, entangling alliances with none”, and stopped trying to be an empire that rules the world, then we would need a much smaller military, which would be much easier to fund voluntarily.

A: Easier said than done. The military industrial complex is so engrained into our economy there's no weening ourselves off that tit.

4) Transportation infrastructure. In theory, the gas tax and your vehicle registration fee is supposed to pay for roads. Most bridges have tolls, as do some highways, and I see no problem with that. Train and airplane companies can work together to share costs and infrastructure for their respective industries without government intervention, in the same way that phone companies share infrastructure to allow people with Verizon to call people with AT&T.

Income from Gas tax revenue stopped keeping up with the expenses it was supposed to cover in the early 1970s. Since 1993, when the federal gas tax was first parked at 18.4 cents, inflation and rising construction costs have eroded its effectiveness as a transportation-related revenue source. In addition, U.S. vehicles have grown more fuel-efficient overall – which means Americans use less fuel for every mile they drive, hence less gas tax revenue. Now, we throw EV's into the mix and the problem only gets worse.

Source: https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politi...ows-how-hard-it-is-to-fund-new-infrastructure

5) Police. Private security is much more effective than the government monopoly that is called the police. With all the abuses of police power, corruption, civil asset forfeiture, unjustified shootings of unarmed people (think about the acorn guy!), I find it very hard to understand the concept of the police as a force for good. I’m sure there are good people who are police officers, but they would do just fine in a private security world, whereas the corrupt abusive bullies who are often attracted to that profession would quickly be unemployable in a private industry setting where companies have to complete for customers, who don’t want to be held responsible for their reckless abusive behavior.

If you think police corruption is bad now privatization of police and for-profit policing would be even worse. Airport security prior to 9/11 was privatized and went to the lowest bidder. You know where that got us.

6) Fire. Again, private industry solves this. Payment to a fire company could be considered similar to an insurance policy premium, and if you choose not to pay, they would have no obligation to put the fire out if your house was burning. I would also imagine that in this world where fire companies are funded directly by local homeowners, then banks and insurance companies would make fire company contracts a requirement to get mortgages or home insurance policies. This is probably the least complicated issue to resolve without resorting to government.

Privatized fire protection for only those who can afford it is just as bad an idea as privatized policing.

The U.S. government has an income problem to their spending habit. Unfortunately, is little peons are the ones who have been funding the income side of it and the math just isn't mathing anymore. It hasn't been for quite some time.

If we cut spending, there are two huge white elephants in the room, military and senior benefits, and nobody wants to even acknowledge them. Everything else is peanuts in comparison.

There will be a time in the future where the government will have to both cut spending from somewhere AND increase taxes to make the math, math again.
Which is why I'm 100% all in on ROTH for my 401K

and I absolutely disagree with the argument that billionaires already pay their fare share. Even in CA, where people make a lot more than in other parts of the country, you pay a LOT more taxes when your compensation comes from a W2 vs anyone who makes it on investment income and other deferred compensation shenanigans (where a chunk of an executives comp plan is paid out over time to take advantage of long term capital gains taxes).

Also, noone should be able to write off the entire cost of a private plan OR its operating expenses as a business expense when used for personal purposes.

Last edited:
We have this via Rural Metro Fire/EMS here for those that live outside of an incorporated city or town. It is a literal scam. They are required to put your house out or send an ambulance when you call even if you are not a subscriber. Your dues are essentially an insurance premium that covers the costs of their services in the event you have to use it. Otherwise you are stuck with the full bill, and if your homeowner's policy doesn't specifically cover it, you're out of luck. In fact, my homeowner's policy required that we have the coverage when we lived in the county.

The annual rate for coverage is more than the property taxes levied on my house by the city I live in. At our old house in the county, it was over $600 a year for Rural Metro coverage. That rate also rose annually. At our current house (inside city limits), my annual property tax is $460 and covers all that plus more.

Taxation is only theft if you don't get anything back in return for it.

Last edited:
Also not everyone pays sales taxes on cars when they should

Any of you libertarian folks wanna defend private ownership of municipal utilities?

PGE is fucking us here in CA by privatizing profits, skimping on maintenance, and then socializing expenses when their deferred maintenance burns down neighborhoods and towns.. there is no reason I should be paying 45c plus per kWh when the national average is more like 13c per kWh. They pay their CEO as much as Tim Cook, waste money on mailers and commercials (no one needs to advertise when you're a monopoly), and then demand rate hikes to underground power lines (something they should have been doing instead of returning value to shareholders for decades.

I say this as a shareholder who bought their stock when their management was not set to prison for negligence and they got to survive as a company: fuck them.

Any of you libertarian folks wanna defend private ownership of municipal utilities?
I will happily defend that, as long as it is fully private, and there are zero barriers to entry put up by government to prevent competition from coming in and undercutting the existing providers. If anyone can come in and open up a power plant, or a water treatment facility, or a waste disposal company, then if a single provider starts jacking prices, others will see an opportunity to provide the same service for slightly less. This is great for consumers who not only get lower prices due to competition, but would likely also lead to companies trying to differentiate themselves from their competition by maybe not being the cheapest, but offering other perks that someone might value. There is literally no downside to this from the consumer’s perspective. However that is not what happens when these things are “privatized” now. What actually happens is the government mismanages something to the point where people are complaining about the wasteful burden on the taxpayers, so the government sells their monopoly to one company, while enacting laws (usually in the name of saving the planet or sustainability or some other BS) that prevent anyone else from opening up competition. Now the government looks like the good guy because they saved the polar bears while getting a liability off the taxpayer, and when the crony company that bought the contract jacks up the price, the government can blame it on greedy capitalists when capitalism had nothing to do with it and it was all just crony corporatism from the get-go. That version of “privatization” is exactly as you say, privatize profits and socialize losses, but the answer is not to socialize all of it, but rather to actually privatize all of it, and when another company comes in and undercuts the crony who bought the contract, then they will either have to get better at their job or go out of business.

Tn is hardcore on their vehicle taxes. Fucking around with registration is a felony. I got read the riot act one morning by an indignant state trooper, because I got plates for both cars the same day, and put the wrong plate on the wrong car. :) I finally calm him down by handing him the insurance card, with the vin number, for the other car. "Does the plate go to this one?" :) A buddy gave me a motorcycle, Pick it up and it's yours deal. when I tried to register it, they handed me a huge stack of paperwork, because gift. It turned out to be Much easier for me to hand him $1, and paying the tax, lol.

Wow, there's a lot to unpackage here.

A: Absolutely the wealthy and corporations don't pay their "fair share". You're confusing sales tax with income tax. Yes, they pay the same sales tax that we all do. But income tax? If you don't work a regular 9 to 5 job like any working schmuck you don't pay income tax. The biggest income tax loophole is the definition of income. For most people, what counts as income is simple to see—it’s their salary, and maybe, if they’re lucky, a bonus. Yet for the very wealthy, salary is trivial—if they earn one at all. That’s not where their riches come from.

Then there's the "Charity" loophole, the Insurance loophole, the list friggin goes on and on how the wealthy have crafted the system to their favor.

See:

Compare the ordinary income tax bracket to the long term capital gains tax bracket. See the difference? This didn't happen by chance.

View attachment 4827

View attachment 4828

A: Yes, the debt will never be paid. What we do need though, and don't have, is a balanced budget. Primarily the best way to deal with it is to roll back the tax cuts. Giving large tax cuts to the wealthy and corporations does nothing to control the debt, it only exacerbates the problem. The true cause of rising debt is not excessive spending but reduced federal income. "In fact, relative to earlier projections, spending is down, not up. But revenues are down significantly more. If not for the Bush tax cuts - and their extensions - as well as the Trump tax cuts revenues would be on track to keep pace with spending indefinitely, and the debt ratio (debt as a percentage of the economy) would be declining. Instead, these tax cuts have added $10 trillion to the debt since their enactment and are responsible for 57 percent of the increase in the debt ratio since 2001, and more than 90 percent of the increase in the debt ratio if the one-time costs of bills responding to COVID-19 and the Great Recession are excluded. Eventually, the tax cuts are projected to grow to more than 100 percent of the increase."

Source: https://www.americanprogress.org/ar...ly-responsible-for-the-increasing-debt-ratio/

A: Easier said than done. The military industrial complex is so engrained into our economy there's no weening ourselves off that tit.

Income from Gas tax revenue stopped keeping up with the expenses it was supposed to cover in the early 1970s. Since 1993, when the federal gas tax was first parked at 18.4 cents, inflation and rising construction costs have eroded its effectiveness as a transportation-related revenue source. In addition, U.S. vehicles have grown more fuel-efficient overall – which means Americans use less fuel for every mile they drive, hence less gas tax revenue. Now, we throw EV's into the mix and the problem only gets worse.

Source: https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politi...ows-how-hard-it-is-to-fund-new-infrastructure

If you think police corruption is bad now privatization of police and for-profit policing would be even worse. Airport security prior to 9/11 was privatized and went to the lowest bidder. You know where that got us.

Privatized fire protection for only those who can afford it is just as bad an idea as privatized policing.
I’m not confusing sales tax and income tax. I am precisely saying that an income tax that varies in dollar terms based on the quantity of dollars you make is the very antithesis of fair. What is fair is that everyone pay for the services they consume and not for the services they don’t consume. If the services apply to everyone equally, then everyone should pay the same dollar amount for said services. So if the military costs $300B, and there are $300M people, everyone has to cough up $1000. Since taxation is theft, the concept of coming up with a fair way to steal from everyone is a bit of a mind-fuck for me, but I would say that would approximate the most fair way I can think of doing it. So just as a gallon of milk costs $4, and a Tesla costs $100k, and a particular house costs $500k, if the military costs $1000 per person living in the US, there is nothing fair about charging some people $100k, and some people $1000, and some people $10, and some people nothing. It sounds nice to say that it is fair because the billionaire can afford more, but we don’t use this method for any privately supplied good or service in history precisely because it is absurd on its face, and if everyone wasn’t indoctrinated with this concept from an early age, I think it would be much easier to see. Just imagine if everything you bought was priced as a percentage of your income? And imagine further if everything got more expensive the more money you made. It is a complete subversion of the concept of money and costs and prices and trade, and it isn’t hard to see that there is nothing fair about it, and in that world where productivity is disincentivized harshly, it wouldn’t be long before everyone stopped working and all goods and services ceased to exist. This is one of my major problems with the concept of democracy is that it incentivizes the many to steal from the few, and over time people try to rationalize to themselves why this theft is first a necessary evil, then justified, then ok, and finally virtuous. If we believe in one person one vote, then it should correspond one vote, one equal share of the bill for all the stuff you vote into existence. And if you think I’m crazy about that, I won’t even get into all the issues with capital gains taxes, but suffice it to say I view their very existence as even more offensive than the graduated income tax.

As far as debt and budgets, yes a budget should be balanced, but just like your budget at home, it must be balanced from both sides. If you lost your job, you would have to cut back on your expenses until you found a new one. If the new job didn’t pay as much as the old one, you would have to make some long term plans about what things in your life you can do without. It would suck, but it would be dealing with reality. But if you came home and said “Honey I lost my job, but it’s OK cause I got a job delivering pizzas, so I bought myself a lambo!” we would all agree that would be insane. That is basically what the government is doing, over and over again, and Democrats say the pizza place needs to pay more so I can afford my lambo, and Republicans say “hey if I stop paying the mortgage I can afford my lambo!”, but sooner or later, that lambo is going to have to go, and the longer you live in this delusion that you can fix this problem and keep your lambo, the harder the fall is going to be.

For the gas and registration fees, if they are not keeping up with the costs, then maybe they need to be raised, however that should be a dedicated fund that is used only for the highway infrastructure, not just put into the general pot to be pissed away. I don’t know all the details of the accounting on that, but it doesn’t surprise me in the least that there would be a shortfall given the more fuel efficient vehicles and electric cars. I doubt that the electric cars are a significant enough percentage of all cars on the road to sway the results by much, but it does throw a wrench into the works as they are very heavy and cause more wear and tear on the road surface, yet use no fuel. For a long time, the gas tax was pretty much the only tax that made sense to me since heavier vehicles tended to cause more wear and tear and also used more fuel, so it worked out as a nice proxy to associate the wear you caused with the amount you paid, but if electric cars continue to become more popular, we may have to go back to the drawing board on that one.

Private security is already a much larger industry than police forces worldwide, and you hardly ever hear of roving gangs of private security guards fleecing people on the side of the road, or shooting innocent unarmed people, or covering up for other private security guards who are caught doing illegal things. In short, your fear-mongering argument that private security forces will be more corrupt than government police not only has no merit, but is demonstrably false.

Fire: yes I seek to ask asset holders to bear the burden of paying for the protection of said asset, instead of offloading that cost onto everyone, including people who have never and will never even own a home. Boo-hoo, the poor homeowner can’t afford $100/month to protect his $500k investment, or whatever the numbers will work out to. Give me a break! By the way, I would also be just fine with the fire department presenting the homeowner with a bill for services rendered while his home is smoldering, but aside from being a bad look for kicking a man when he is down, there would likely be collection issues associated with that practice, so I suspect a subscription type model would evolve as the preferred way of funding fire fighters in the absence of government, but I could be wrong. But using this argument, why should we have any service contracts or insurance at all? Just have the government take it over. Don’t buy a home security system! Security only for those who can afford it? Ban all private home security contracts and make everyone depend on the police! After all, that’s fair! Same goes for pest control too, right? Only pest-free homes for those who can afford it! I mean if the poorest of us have to wake up with rats and cockroaches in their home, why should you get to get rid of them just cause you can afford it? No need for homeowners insurance, let the government take care of it and offload the costs to taxpayers. Might as well get rid of car insurance too! Bump into a car in the parking lot? Don’t do the right thing and leave your information to pay for the damages! You pay your taxes, the government should cover the repairs! I mean they already did such a great job when they got involved in medical insurance, right? I mean now that it is subsidized by taxpayers, medical insurance is cheaper than ever, right?

7) As for other forms of social security, like caring for people who are disabled, this is where family and local community and charity come into play. Statists seem to think that if it weren’t for the government forcing everyone to pay for the downtrodden by stealing from them, then it wouldn’t happen, but not only is this refuted by the fact that charity does continue to exist alongside government programs, but the very existence of the government programs disincentivizes charity, since people no longer feel that people in their family or their community are their responsibility. You paid your taxes, so the government should take care of them. The problem is when you paid your taxes, you were robbed, and now you ask the robber to spend his ill gotten funds in the way that you want. How about if he just didn’t rob you, and you can spend your money how you want, and I can spend my money how I want, and we all go through life respecting each other’s property rights instead of trying to justify theft by claiming it is somehow charitable for you to steal my money and spend some of it on him?

I agree with a lot of what you say but having TWO retarded uncles, it IS already on the burden of the family unless you offload them to a cottage as a ward of the state one is, who is far too violent to be anywhere near a normal household. The other is just slow, but an affable sweetheart with relatively good health. since my Grandparents died in 2016/2018 y mom's tried to put state funded caregivers in place so he can function independently at my grandparent's old home(which they actually had set up in the trust) but the reality is the turnover is so rapid and people are so unreliable it just became easier for her to move in with him there as a full time caregiver. Her life is effectively over as far as her retirement dreams taking care of him, and in reality he's younger than my parents and there's a solid possibility I'll be dealing with him when he's elderly.

So I'm just going to say "my responsibility" or my "parents responsibility" for my grandparents burdens is horseshit. If we had to take in the one without state housing and financial support he'd be a danger to us and society and we'd all be destitute paying his pharmaceutical/medical bills. I'm sorry but expecting family and community to step up and help is easier said than done when you haven't experienced what this situation is like. State assistance is a joke as it is, group home has always been an option for the younger one but once again the caregivers are often flakey if not sketchy and abusive, and given his relatively mild disability and gentle trusting nature he's potentially vulnerable around some of the people he'd be housed with. Everyone who hasn't lived it thinks people with these conditions have short life expectancies but when you have to support them for 60+ years through three generations, guess what? Family and community's get a little tired of responsibility all on their own.

I took care of my dad when he got infirm, and took care of my mom, who got diagnosed with blood cancer in 98. It took all3 of us kids to get my mom to doctors appointments, and I Paid her housing and bills. If she hadn'tgot involved with research at the UT cancer center, she'd have been screwed. She lived 11 years with multiple Myeloma, which is unheard of. We do what we must.

Tn is hardcore on their vehicle taxes. Fucking around with registration is a felony. I got read the riot act one morning by an indignant state trooper, because I got plates for both cars the same day, and put the wrong plate on the wrong car. :) I finally calm him down by handing him the insurance card, with the vin number, for the other car. "Does the plate go to this one?" :) A buddy gave me a motorcycle, Pick it up and it's yours deal. when I tried to register it, they handed me a huge stack of paperwork, because gift. It turned out to be Much easier for me to hand him $1, and paying the tax, lol.
I went to high school in North Carolina. When I moved back to Tennessee after graduation, I kept my cars registered at my parents' house in Raleigh because the insurance was half of what it was in Tennessee.

Because of that, I only had to pay North Carolina's measly 3% vehicle sales tax when I bought a car instead of Tennessee's steep 7%. They do have an annual property tax on vehicles over there plus all the slush fund fees from Wake County, but the difference in insurance premiums was more than enough to net me a savings over what I would have paid in Tennessee.

And since I was a student at UT, I never had any legal issues. Every now and again I would get a cop asking about my plates. I'd just point to the UT parking tag in the windshield and that satisfied their questioning.

I went to high school in North Carolina. When I moved back to Tennessee after graduation, I kept my cars registered at my parents' house in Raleigh because the insurance was half of what it was in Tennessee.

Because of that, I only had to pay North Carolina's measly 3% vehicle sales tax when I bought a car instead of Tennessee's steep 7%. They do have an annual property tax on vehicles over there plus all the slush fund fees from Wake County, but the difference in insurance premiums was more than enough to net me a savings over what I would have paid in Tennessee.

And since I was a student at UT, I never had any legal issues. Every now and again I would get a cop asking about my plates. I'd just point to the UT parking tag in the windshield and that satisfied their questioning.

Do you also have an NCDL or a TNDL?

At the time I had a NC license. Now I have a TN one.