Chatbox Thread

Might be an odd question, but does anyone have a lead on GT40 intake flanges? Looking to make an intake and I don't wanna have to mess with 1/4in plate making a flange.

For the upper intake? You could probably just use a spacer like this to build from

1710543363926.png

For the upper intake? You could probably just use a spacer like this to build from

View attachment 4504

That's exactly what i was thinking. Unless WeC TIG welds (and god knows what kind of allow this spacer is made of), this spacer may just be the best solution short of take a plate , outline an intake gasket, and start drilling holes.

Another option would be to take this design, import it into a CAD, set the thickness to 1/4", and send it off to sendcutsend.com or quotecutship.com to make out of mild steel.

I did this for some brackets and they were reasonably cheap (6 1/4" steel brackets for $20-25ish dollars I think.)
-g

senndcutsend.com cut by brackets for my project

My machine is only capable of MIG at the moment, and only runs DC anyways so aluminum is out.

I like Gunns. Am I able to actually order those from a company or do I need to send the file to someone near me?

My machine is only capable of MIG at the moment, and only runs DC anyways so aluminum is out.

I like Gunns. Am I able to actually order those from a company or do I need to send the file to someone near me?
You need to download an existing CAD design, modify it (since the one I found is 1" thick and you probably only need 1/4" for making a flange), upload it to one of these sites and they'll quote you a price in different materials. A week or so later it arrives at your front door at a surprisingly reasonable price. Just buy more than the # you need as the cost is in the initial setup and adding a few more pieces isn't all that much.

I can all but guarantee you that these online shops with largely automated cutting/shipping will be cheaper than hiring that one guy to hand cut this design OR translate your CAD drawing into a CNC design that they run through their own machine locally (unless that guy is a friend who will do it for beer and covering the materials cost).

Are you thinking breadbox type? Or are you going to be amazing and make this:
sne-820241_vt_xl.jpg

ITBs are the plan.View attachment 4555
This is on IG. A company is looking to make an adapter for the HO intakes, not GT40s.

I looked into this a while ago for giggles.
Q: Don't most of these ITB intakes support a MAP sensor (vs a MAF) so you need to switch you ECU to some variant that supports this kind of airflow measuring?
I suspect that means rewiring it it so you run a Mustang ECU (pre SN95) for the 5.0 OR just go completely aftermarket.

Good luck, but I suspect problem is more than just how to get the air into the engine.

Even if you just buy this off the shelf, you'll need the right setup.

I looked into this a while ago for giggles.
Q: Don't most of these ITB intakes support a MAP sensor (vs a MAF) so you need to switch you ECU to some variant that supports this kind of airflow measuring?
I suspect that means rewiring it it so you run a Mustang ECU (pre SN95) for the 5.0 OR just go completely aftermarket.

The problem is more than just how to get the air into the engine.
I know. And there is a switch in the tune file to run the MBE2 with a MAP vs a MAF.

And I understand the complications that come with it. I don't really care. I'll deal with it and get there. I want ITBs.

I thought aluminum welding is dc? I have an ac welder.

I know. And there is a switch in the tune file to run the MBE2 with a MAP vs a MAF.

And I understand the complications that come with it. I don't really care. I'll deal with it and get there. I want ITBs.
Least Hassle: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2005-bmw-m3-coupe-138/

Most likely path to success: Buy the ITB intake manifold get to DIY the tune that revised switch file yourself.

Fabbing the flange to the lower intake, cutting the tubes to the right length, mounting your own ITBs, and getting the mechanical linkage right is a pretty significant project.

For the same effort, I'd say fabricating 180 degree headers on the exhaust side to go with your ITB setup would be even more glorious...
There was a lemons car that did it with a 302 V8 in an E36 chassis and it was amazing. I kind of wanted this for my next/last lemons project but after this came out, I was like well, its been done.

I dont mind bulging fenders but when they are just pasted onto the body and not even fitted flush, it reminds me of Buffalo Bill wearing other people's skin in the silence of the lambs (or more recently those wierdos in the Walking Dead).

The engine though in this clip is pretty to behold though: they did the bundle of snakes on a FR car (vs a mid/rear engined vehicle) by directing all the exhaust forward and then down before going rearwards. This is an LS vs a Windor or Coyote, but goddamn

Still one of my favorite sounding aftermarket exhaust setups. you won't make any fans in your neighborhood though with this setup

I always wanted to get some stainless tubing that would fit inside each other, sealed with orings, and rig it in a frame for a variable length runners for itb. Start long, and drop the length as rpm goes up. Optimal runners for every rpm.

I'm not surprised it's not a new idea. An arduino, a stepper motor and driver, and dinking with some electronics. I bet it was a lot harder when they did it, lol.
Those in the vid looked like high/low actuators, like imrcs. on at n rpms. Continually varying it could give you 'port stuffing' at all rpms.

I saw this bit of crazy car on Reddit which led me to this fascinating article about an anecdote Biden shared in the past that I had never heard before. It's pretty hilarious

1000014801.png

Iheard that story back when he was vp. Multiple people said it happened. It's not new, and I know a bunch of city folk with similiar stories.

Iheard that story back when he was vp. Multiple people said it happened. It's not new, and I know a bunch of city folk with similiar stories.
I didn't say it was new -- just that it was new to me.

Yep, here’s the story

"I called a bad dude named cornpop Esther Williams" is totally a "I tied an onion to my belt, because that was the style at the time" moment.

HEY KIDS, always wear eye protection .
:)

This past sunday, I was happily cutting away at my cars trunk. I had ear protection on and a mask on because I didn't want to breathe in any of the metal bits I was creating with my angle grinder and other tools. It turns out that having my glasses on in case any disc shards flew out and "safety squints" isn't good enough: one bit of metal debris got lodged in my cornea.

The result was a teary, red bloodshot eye that looks like I went on a weekend bender. Since it wasn't getting better, I went to my optometrist today (2 days later) and they found the chunk. Luckily, it hadn't hit my pupil so theres no permanent vision damange. I ended up getting my eyeball numbed and scraped with a small vibrating brush. Wasn't terrible (the numbing drops helped) and didn't take much time but I certainly don't recommend it.

Wear a mask or goggles that go around your eys folks, it's simply not worth it.

I hada similar come-to -jesus moment like that, I had a dremel wheel explode and embed in my forehead. I had to wiggle it to get it out, lol. If it had hit me in a closed eye, I'd be blind in one eye. I'm careful about ppe. I saw two idiots I work with expose themselves badly to urethane, and it broke the out all over, like the worst poison ivy you've ever seen. Everywhere, lol. Best part, the worst asshole got himself twice, lol. The second time he filled a tub with calamine lotion. :) Don't do that; it will kill you. :rofl:

Those pesky scars from the cutoff tools then become the problem, lol.

Anyone interested in a 396-swapped G-body?

My brother-in-law bought it when he was a teenager. He and his dad did the engine swap and it became his first car. Now that he is an adult with big boy money, he's ready to sell it and buy a big boy toy. It's currently at my house for a few more weeks until he ships it to where he lives in western Michigan. It's got a Holley 4-barrel and Edelbrock Performer manifold.

He just had a shop go through everything and replace all the fluids and maintenance items, so it runs and drives really well. It's a riot on the roads. Definitely a smiles-per-gallon kind of car (or gallons-per-smile in this case). No rust either. We got it up on a lift a couple weeks ago and it's still a solid body.

Attachments

• IMG_9504.jpeg
    IMG_9504.jpeg
    639.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9489.jpeg
    IMG_9489.jpeg
    497.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_9488.jpeg
    IMG_9488.jpeg
    836.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_9487.jpeg
    IMG_9487.jpeg
    962.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_9486.jpeg
    IMG_9486.jpeg
    994.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9505.jpeg
    IMG_9505.jpeg
    640.5 KB · Views: 7
A few more funny comments I heard from the optometrists I met yesterday (had to go to two of them b/c the first one didn't have the alger brush she needed to get the rest of the bits out of my eye.

Pic of the tool used. Don't like it? Wear #@$#@%$#@ goggles.

1) Everyone who comes in for foreign body removal pretty much 'knows better'. We, myself included, have the safety equipment, but didn't bother using it that time.

2) SF doesn't have as many people doing this kind of work so its not super common for them to get patients like me. A far more common source of cornea scratching/injury in SF (mentioned by BOTH optometrists AND a friend of mine he recounted his story to me) comes from people pulling out power cables by the wire vs the line. The tip or wall wart comes flying back at the tugger and whacks them in the eye. Don't be THAT guy, either.

3) Apparently, they used to use magnets to pull the metal debris out of eyes and some people try to use them at home. TThis DIY method often causes more damage. The issue occurs when the foreign objects rips out a bigger hole in the cornea as it flies towards the magnet (instead of going out the way it came in). So don't try it at home.

PS. Its amazing how well the eye will heal when theres not a chunk of metal sitting in them uninvited.

Anyone interested in a 396-swapped G-body?

My brother-in-law bought it when he was a teenager. He and his dad did the engine swap and it became his first car. Now that he is an adult with big boy money, he's ready to sell it and buy a big boy toy. It's currently at my house for a few more weeks until he ships it to where he lives in western Michigan. It's got a Holley 4-barrel and Edelbrock Performer manifold.

He just had a shop go through everything and replace all the fluids and maintenance items, so it runs and drives really well. It's a riot on the roads. Definitely a smiles-per-gallon kind of car (or gallons-per-smile in this case). No rust either. We got it up on a lift a couple weeks ago and it's still a solid body.

Isn’t it technically a A body? I didn’t think GM started calling them Gs until the FWD A body(Celebrities, Cieras) came into production in 81 or 82?

I know I know, pedantic. Guilty as charged 😇

Isn’t it technically a A body? I didn’t think GM started calling them Gs until the FWD A body(Celebrities, Cieras) came into production in 81 or 82?

I know I know, pedantic. Guilty as charged 😇
Technically the 3rd Gen was called a G-body. It's that awkward generation as they transitioned to FWD. I think you could use both A or G by definition.

Technically the 3rd Gen was called a G-body. It's that awkward generation as they transitioned to FWD. I think you could use both A or G by definition.

I always kind of drew the A-G divide with the 81 restyle of all of them, though I’m not sure it starts there or after the FWD A bodies debuted. GMs platform naming in the 80s is so confusing

I'd they didn't have an SS, GN or 442 model it's not a G body. That's my rule, not GMs