Chatbox Thread

I'd they didn't have an SS, GN or 442 model it's not a G body. That's my rule, not GMs
And that fits my understanding, since all those packages would have been post 81. A bodies were mainstream cars, which the FWD succeeded, after those the “G” bodies that carried on on the old RWD platform became more niche.

I could have gotten a chevy caprice classic from the 80's for free with the house; but I'd been in the car, and my old neighbor was a chain smoker. The people that ended up with it after she passed offered it to me with the house; but I think it went to the JY. He said it couldn't be cleaned. It took me months to get the walls of the bathroom clean, lol.

I could have gotten a chevy caprice classic from the 80's for free with the house; but I'd been in the car, and my old neighbor was a chain smoker. The people that ended up with it after she passed offered it to me with the house; but I think it went to the JY. He said it couldn't be cleaned. It took me months to get the walls of the bathroom clean, lol.

That would be a B body :tongue:

Not a car I ever wanted, lol. The ony GM cars I liked were all firebirds. And 'vettes. I've found, from dating a girl that owned a few, being an owner isn't as cool as thinking about being an owner. Putting a keg in one is almost impossible, lol. Almost.

In reference to this:

A couple of my coworkers talked about owning a home as a (perhaps long-term) goal. They're not that much younger than me and are technically part of my generation, but the market is fucked for them. Likewise with my nephew and niece, one who is again just barely in my generation and one who is a couple of years after it. Both are unlikely to own a home unless they move to a state with a much lower CoL.

The line I mentally draw for my generation is whether you got your career started before the 2008 recession. If you did, it's relatively smooth sailing even on one income. If you didn't, fulfilling the goal of home ownership might really suck. I've never given it a ton of thought before because I haven't discussed home ownership with too many people who are much younger than me, but I think my recession/career timeline theory generally holds true.

I was also fortunate to not get a starter home either. That would have killed a bunch of my current interests and hobbies. I got what could very comfortably qualify as a forever home just before lenders started tightening lending requirements. My salary grew into the optimal income-to-debt ratio later.

I would love some property. I looked around a bit last year. Between the selection, the interest rates, and the loaning agent, I am not thrilled about this goal. Step one is hypnosis therapy to allow me to love beans and rice

• Agree
Reactions: Irv
In reference to this:

A couple of my coworkers talked about owning a home as a (perhaps long-term) goal. They're not that much younger than me and are technically part of my generation, but the market is fucked for them. Likewise with my nephew and niece, one who is again just barely in my generation and one who is a couple of years after it. Both are unlikely to own a home unless they move to a state with a much lower CoL.

The line I mentally draw for my generation is whether you got your career started before the 2008 recession. If you did, it's relatively smooth sailing even on one income. If you didn't, fulfilling the goal of home ownership might really suck. I've never given it a ton of thought before because I haven't discussed home ownership with too many people who are much younger than me, but I think my recession/career timeline theory generally holds true.

I was also fortunate to not get a starter home either. That would have killed a bunch of my current interests and hobbies. I got what could very comfortably qualify as a forever home just before lenders started tightening lending requirements. My salary grew into the optimal income-to-debt ratio later.
You make an interesting point. I will say that in the Bay area, I know several folks who have purchased homes without generational money AND having started their careers after 2008. What they all had were very well paying jobs and/or decent payday from RSU/ISOs/ESPP. Its very clear that in HCOL areas, having jobs (tech, MD, or finance) that pay well is one of the key ways to get into RE in this area so besides graduating debt free, encouraging your kids to get into well compensated careers can be almost as valuable as generational wealth.

A friend I had lunch with today wonders how much of this will be a self-correcting problem:
- If the population continues to shrink AND as jobs get more portable (so there's less need to live in HCOL areas like the Bay Area CA), he believes that real estate pricing in HCOL areas like here might actually fall and not stay as out of whack with rental costs.

- I questioned this thought because a) even if more homeowners die, someone will inherit the property and that doesn't necessarily mean it will increase the supply of purchasable homes (vs those made available for rent) and b) cities will continue to attract young people who are willing to trade space for more social/nightlife/etc.

I think your own experience in GA of housing becoming less affordable country wide is a good testament that sure, while you can move to cheaper places, it doesn't necessarily mean housing will be more affordable.

Finally, not every country has home ownership as a goal: in quite a few countries the home ownership rates are already below 50% (ex: Germany and Switzerland).

Not to defend Diddy, because I have little to no doubt that he did the things he is accused of, but some 17yo girl in 2003 gets on a plane to go meet Puff Daddy, gets drunk, gets high, gives it away to a bunch of rich rappers, they toss her aside like the ho that she is, and 20 years later she wants to play the victim? What did she think was going to happen? Sorry, not sorry! Statutes of limitations exist for a good reason, and all these civil suits decades after the fact don’t serve justice, they undermine it! I hope she gets nothing!

- If the population continues to shrink AND as jobs get more portable (so there's less need to live in HCOL areas like the Bay Area CA), he believes that real estate pricing in HCOL areas like here might actually fall and not stay as out of whack with rental costs.

Population is expected to increase 30% to over 9 million people by 2040 in the SF Bay Area .. 🤔

Statutes of limitations exist for a good reason, and all these civil suits decades after the fact don’t serve justice

What good reason is that ? It would be an injustice to ignore evidence of a crime if any exists.

That plus he's gay

One of the accusers is not a female. Just sayin .. 🤔

Population is expected to increase 30% to over 9 million people by 2040 in the SF Bay Area .. 🤔

What good reason is that ? It would be an injustice to ignore evidence of a crime if any exists.

One of the accusers is not a female. Just sayin .. 🤔
The longer a time span before the crime is prosecuted, the less reliable the evidence is. There is also a de-civilizing aspect to having people always afraid of prosecution for something that was done long ago. Obviously the more serious the crime, the longer the statute of limitations, and some crimes like murder have no statute of limitations due to the severity of the offense, but the notion that you can just sit on something, let the evidence go stale, let people’s memories fade and get fuzzy, then come out decades later and make an accusation, my immediate question is why now, and why not 20 years ago? Also relating to the evidence going stale and memories fading over time, the standard for a criminal conviction is much higher than for a civil trial, but by waiting so long they are actually gaming that system since now the uncertainty favors the accuser, which undermines the principle of innocent until proven guilty.

my immediate question is why now, and why not 20 years ago?

My best guess .. because a similar case was brought up not too long ago, and settled out of court for an undisclosed sum of money. I agree, it's a money ploy .. but I disagree on the aspect of dismissing criminal liability regardless of time ( everything is circumstantial and speculation is irrelevant )

I would love some property. I looked around a bit last year. Between the selection, the interest rates, and the loaning agent, I am not thrilled about this goal. Step one is hypnosis therapy to allow me to love beans and rice
The pre-owned inventory is not impressive right now. Just in my own neighborhood, I can tell the people who take care of their homes aren't going to move because they don't want the high interest rates that come with a new mortgage. Actually, nobody does, but a good homeowner has even less incentive to move. At best, a prospective buyer would have to hope for an older person downsizing and moving into a retirement community.

I suppose they could also look for a home owned by a young professional with a job relocation, but the examples of those that I know make me realize a lot of homeowners are not good maintainers, never mind modders, of their home. Much like used cars, you don't want to inherit a previous owner's incompetence.

In reference to this:

You make an interesting point. I will say that in the Bay area, I know several folks who have purchased homes without generational money AND having started their careers after 2008. What they all had were very well paying jobs and/or decent payday from RSU/ISOs/ESPP. Its very clear that in HCOL areas, having jobs (tech, MD, or finance) that pay well is one of the key ways to get into RE in this area so besides graduating debt free, encouraging your kids to get into well compensated careers can be almost as valuable as generational wealth.

A friend I had lunch with today wonders how much of this will be a self-correcting problem:

- I questioned this thought because a) even if more homeowners die, someone will inherit the property and that doesn't necessarily mean it will increase the supply of purchasable homes (vs those made available for rent) and b) cities will continue to attract young people who are willing to trade space for more social/nightlife/etc.

I think your own experience in GA of housing becoming less affordable country wide is a good testament that sure, while you can move to cheaper places, it doesn't necessarily mean housing will be more affordable.

Finally, not every country has home ownership as a goal: in quite a few countries the home ownership rates are already below 50% (ex: Germany and Switzerland).
I should clarify in my case that out of the four people I mentioned, only one coworker lives here. The others are in NY/NJ, which is a real killer for owning a home. Nonetheless, there have been some small pockets of new construction in my town and even though the value of my own house has grown 90% in a decade and a half, I still find the new build prices to be absurd.

In my area, new townhouses are going for $450K. Single-family houses, since nobody builds them under 2600 sq. ft. anymore, start at $700K and that's for build quality that I consider to be a noticeable step down from my house. I understand that kind of money buys you a garbage can in the Bay Area, but relative to a region's norms, the current market isn't advantageous to anyone who isn't already rich.

Owning a home shouldn't have to be a goal, but when rent around these parts is more than mortgage (or at least mine, which I refinanced twice in 2021 down to a rate that might never happen again, which is admittedly as unfair a comparison as I can make), then it indirectly becomes a goal. I'm sure people aren't pleased with pissing away their money toward not even getting equity out of their monthly roof-over-your-head payment.

All that is to say, I'm glad I'm not on the market for a house now. I feel for anyone who is because it really sucks out there, not only because of the high upfront and recurring costs in the current housing market, but also because I know for me, it'd take at least another $150K to get even a brand new house to be a home.

What timeframe is appropriate for what charge is certainly subjective, and that bears out by varied limitations statutes in different areas, and I don’t dismiss out of hand any argument for no statute of limitations on sexual assault, especially in situations where DNA provides evidence of a suspect where that technology previously did not exist. But having a civil case for a sexual assault, where the supposed victim knew who the perpetrator was since day one and has not brought anything up until after the statute of limitations has expired, that to me is clearly gaming of the system, and in the interest of preserving justice, I think every last one of them should be thrown out.

Not to defend Diddy, because I have little to no doubt that he did the things he is accused of, but some 17yo girl in 2003 gets on a plane to go meet Puff Daddy, gets drunk, gets high, gives it away to a bunch of rich rappers, they toss her aside like the ho that she is, and 20 years later she wants to play the victim? What did she think was going to happen? Sorry, not sorry! Statutes of limitations exist for a good reason, and all these civil suits decades after the fact don’t serve justice, they undermine it! I hope
I don't necessarily agree that this kind of crime should have a statute of limitations. There will be other accusers with credible details and this guy should absolutely go down for all the abuse he's inflicted on men, women, boys, and girls.
The pre-owned inventory is not impressive right now. Just in my own neighborhood, I can tell the people who take care of their homes aren't going to move because they don't want the high interest rates that come with a new mortgage. Actually, nobody does, but a good homeowner has even less incentive to move. At best, a prospective buyer would have to hope for an older person downsizing and moving into a retirement community.

I suppose they could also look for a home owned by a young professional with a job relocation, but the examples of those that I know make me realize a lot of homeowners are not good maintainers, never mind modders, of their home. Much like used cars, you don't want to inherit a previous owner's incompetence.

I should clarify in my case that out of the four people I mentioned, only one coworker lives here. The others are in NY/NJ, which is a real killer for owning a home. Nonetheless, there have been some small pockets of new construction in my town and even though the value of my own house has grown 90% in a decade and a half, I still find the new build prices to be absurd.

In my area, new townhouses are going for $450K. Single-family houses, since nobody builds them under 2600 sq. ft. anymore, start at $700K and that's for build quality that I consider to be a noticeable step down from my house. I understand that kind of money buys you a garbage can in the Bay Area, but relative to a region's norms, the current market isn't advantageous to anyone who isn't already rich.

Owning a home shouldn't have to be a goal, but when rent around these parts is more than mortgage (or at least mine, which I refinanced twice in 2021 down to a rate that might never happen again, which is admittedly as unfair a comparison as I can make), then it indirectly becomes a goal. I'm sure people aren't pleased with pissing away their money toward not even getting equity out of their monthly roof-over-your-head payment.

All that is to say, I'm glad I'm not on the market for a house now. I feel for anyone who is because it really sucks out there, not only because of the high upfront and recurring costs in the current housing market, but also because I know for me, it'd take at least another $150K to get even a brand new house to be a home.
I started looking at what's available sub $450K
330sq ft studio in cracktown fenta-town

$419K gets you new construction, 550sq ft studio out near the Hunter's Point shipyard (former and current Superfund site)

$450K This one isn't bad, near the ballpark, but its BMR housing so you cannot make more than $97K/yr for a single person.You have to jump through a ton of hoops, because its administered by the mayor's office, and therefore your upside is capped.

1 Bedrooms are ~600sq ft and all seem to be BMR housing

Closest homes in this price range are all in flatlands of Oakland.
This one is straight outta GTA: San Andreas (yeah, I know that's LA)

That got me to spend a disproportionate amount of time looking up the old safehouses in GTA:SA. It's even smaller than this one:

My garage has more volume than those homes for sale. I don't have enough evens to can't even.

Last edited:

My career started right as the market tanked. I was a mechanic at the time but I was also in college. Prior to meeting my wife, I rented mostly because I didn't know where work or life would take me. I would agree with your timeline, especially considering how student loans have impacted my generation. Some people made it out unscathed, others are still suffering with them.

We bought our first home when we got married. It was on a very large wooded lot in a ritzy area, but it was a very rough fixer-upper so we got it for a significant steal. Bought it on a 15yr fixed rate obviously not knowing what was going to happen with covid. Our goal was to get it renovated as soon as possible and then have it paid off before any future kids hit their teenage years. At the time we were also a DINK household.

Covid hit while we were renovating it. In that time, we learned that we hated the area and we hated the house. It was built in the 1990's by a local cookie cutter developer and every time we turned around something else was breaking or falling apart. It was also a McMansion and was way too big for what we thought we needed. Then we started having kids and went from two paychecks to one.

So I had a conversation with a friend who is a realtor. He informed me that based on our renovation progress, our aggressive pay down of the mortgage, and the location; we could easily cash out and downsize to something that fit us better. We got a plan together to finish the renovations and listed it.

We sold the house for 225% more than we had into it (purchase plus renovations). Even with paying off the old mortgage, we were able to pay cash for a 4-bedroom brick house that had been fully renovated all the way down to the plumbing and wiring. Definitely has made the years of headache in the old house worth the hassle.

TL,DR: We got lucky. I don't like saying Covid was good for anything, but the boom paid off our mortgage forever and got us out of a house we hated.

Last edited:
Property here is cheap. It's a hard repub state, and idiots with guns are everywhere. It was a really nice place to live in the 70's. :) I bought my 1200 sq ft house in '06, for 60k. The Emory river is 500 feet away.

Property here is cheap. It's a hard repub state, and idiots with guns are everywhere. It was a really nice place to live in the 70's. :) I bought my 1200 sq ft house in '06, for 60k. The Emory river is 500 feet away.
Do the idiots with guns really cause you problems? It's interesting here in that the gun issues are 99% from those who can no longer possess them legally.

A new house about 1500sq ft around here is in the $425-475k range. House of the same size built in the 70's that had been redone or kept up is $250k.

A bigger issue is rent is more than a payment here, so saving for a down payment is so difficult. There are plenty 97% or 100% financing options, though.

I started working a couple years before the recession hit, and changed jobs to the home improvement market just as it hit. I didn't start my career until several years after that.

Fortunately the wife and I bought our house a couple years before the housing market went nuts (6 years ago); 325k for 3k ft², then refinanced when rates bottomed out during covid. We went for a "forever" home with no intention of (needing to) move again. About a year after I moved in I started finishing the basement, then as I was closing that project out covid hit and materials prices went haywire. If we had waited on any of those things, we'd be much worse off. I can't attribute all that to anything other than good luck.

The exciting part for us is that there's 20 months (or less) until it's paid off... I can't wait to have some spending money again. :)

I was 48 months from payoff when state farm decided my 5yo roof was defective, and refused to re insure me unless I replaced it. 12k there, a refinance at the worst possible time, and my payment is higher than ever. I did pay off a credit card at the same time 20k. Which was then stolen by my neice, She's up for felony fraud; easter dinner is going to be interesting. I'll be carrying, lol.

That got me to spend a disproportionate amount of time looking up the old safehouses in GTA:SA. It's even smaller than this one:

My garage has more volume than those homes for sale. I don't have enough evens to can't even.

I always hated the houses you could buy that didn't have garages, what was the point?

...IRL too :tongue:

The cool part about that game is almost every house in the map was enterable if you did the burglary missions. there were some absurdly small shacks in spots, and the residents would instantly spot you lifting their giant TV!

• Agree
Reactions: Irv
I get a kick out of home classifieds that don't bother to take pictures of the garage, there's plenty of instances too

The garage was a very important consideration for me. An unsuitable garage would have been a dealbreaker. I ended up going with new construction though, so I had more flexibility and got more answers than going with an older home that would have had only an 8-9' tall garage and/or protruding low joists.

I know. And there is a switch in the tune file to run the MBE2 with a MAP vs a MAF.

And I understand the complications that come with it. I don't really care. I'll deal with it and get there. I want ITBs.
I was recommended this video. Apparently, the algorithm works.

Your project with a V8 would only have to build 2/3rds of this setup :)

I know. And there is a switch in the tune file to run the MBE2 with a MAP vs a MAF.

And I understand the complications that come with it. I don't really care. I'll deal with it and get there. I want ITBs.
There is a switch in the software but whether the hardware actually handles it may be a different thing. cmp variations are one thing, both types coexisted in the same hardware across different models but MAP was never ever used from the factory on a cdan4 processor. You might put in the switch and it simply does nothing

If you select anything your eec doesn't actually support it does nothing, which is cool in a lot of cases. :)

The switches work.