Doomsday Thread Redux

All within the last 24h. A depression is coming. Personally I think it's going to come with the resumption of student loan payments in the next month.
More here. It's coming, and I feel it's going to make 1929 look like nothing more than a kid's broken piggy bank.

C23E666F-576B-4C23-ADB8-98FC91C241A2.jpeg

Last edited:
Or was it another one of those mysterious Russian deaths ? 🤫

I wouldn't place much stock in another guy offing himself at work (although part of me wishes SBF and Elizabeth Holmes would have saved their respective industries a lot of drama if they went this route), the dailymail article said his dayjob was safeguarding WF from risks. Could be a shitty job/manager overworking him, or maybe he saw something else. Huh.

Greg had been responsible for Wells Fargo's internal controls, aimed at safeguarding the bank from risks but his workload had steadily increased leading to longer hours and increased stress.

NOTE: Dailymail is pretty much a sensationalist tabloid.

He wasn't an executive, banks give out VP titles like candy. It happened in January, and the only thing that happened was an emergency meeting on suicide prevention and an investigation on how he got on the roof. No idea why the conspiracists have picked this up 9 months later.

All duly noted. Still, I do feel that we're headed to a bad time economically.

That's comforting. I've been watching housing and rent prices mostly. I personally do not see how it is sustainable.

The average small apartment rent in Knoxville is anywhere from $1,200-1,500 a month. My brother has an average 2-bed apartment here and his rent is more per month than my previous 15yr fixed rate mortgage was. For comparison, when I rented a similar apartment in the same area from 2011 to 2017, my rent was $600 a month.

And that is just rent. You cannot find a 3-bed house that is move-in ready in Knox county for under $300k. Now couple that with mortgage rates over 7%.

This is all in an area where the median income is roughly $45k a year.

I imagine a lot of that is demographic shift, just like what I've seen firsthand in Denver with huge influxes of people from other states, in particular CA, straining the existing housing stock and inflating property values(and thus taxes). Tennessee's probably in a similar place, especially for the east coast/rust belt residents looking to escape the cold weather and other BS, but in reality the places people are fleeing from housing cost has remained relatively flat.

Really there's just too many people on this planet, but that's not a popular statement lol

I imagine a lot of that is demographic shift, just like what I've seen firsthand in Denver with huge influxes of people from other states, in particular CA, straining the existing housing stock and inflating property values(and thus taxes). Tennessee's probably in a similar place, especially for the east coast/rust belt residents looking to escape the cold weather and other BS, but in reality the places people are fleeing from housing cost has remained relatively flat.

Really there's just too many people on this planet, but that's not a popular statement lol
Tennessee has no income tax and (I think) the third lowest average property taxes in the country. We also have a very vibrant and union-unfriendly manufacturing industry. So it is definitely an attractive locality.

I used to say that we needed a new plague, but here we are.

I don't know much about people coming to Ohio, but I know of a few family members that left for other states for better work. I'm told housing here is like that as well. Up here by Cleveland the main draw is the healthcare industry. Columbus I understand is also in a bit of a boom - probably all related to the university, but I haven't bothered to look.

We were "lucky" in that we moved to buy our house in early 2018 before demand started to really go up. I refinanced towards the end of 2020 when rates bottomed out. Friends and co-workers are complaining about the same things - overpriced, lack of availability, too much competition and crazy rates.

But hey, at least rates aren't like they were in the '80s...

That's comforting. I've been watching housing and rent prices mostly. I personally do not see how it is sustainable.

The average small apartment rent in Knoxville is anywhere from $1,200-1,500 a month. My brother has an average 2-bed apartment here and his rent is more per month than my previous 15yr fixed rate mortgage was. For comparison, when I rented a similar apartment in the same area from 2011 to 2017, my rent was $600 a month.

And that is just rent. You cannot find a 3-bed house that is move-in ready in Knox county for under $300k. Now couple that with mortgage rates over 7%.

This is all in an area where the median income is roughly $45k a year.

The national average for household income compared to home value is around 25% .. in my area that's more like 10%. The houses in my neighborhood rent for over $4k a month and cost between $1.7M - $2M. Like Matt said .. there are too many people and not enough houses. People pay cash for these here so there is no market unless you have that money up front over asking price.

But hey, at least rates aren't like they were in the '80s...

Yeah, but the median household price in the US was $63k in 1980, compared to $435k today .. 🤔

Israel declares war. How long before this escalates to a multinational conflict / Holy war ?

Fucking Hamas! Israel should blow the West Bank off of the map!

Israel declares war. How long before this escalates to a multinational conflict / Holy war ?

Hamas declared was on Israel. Now it’s Israel’s turn for payback. Hamas = Al Qaeda

Last edited:
Time will tell. For Israel this is a 9/11 moment.
I've been to Israel for work several times. Its quite shocking how close everything is; roughly speaking in the same scale, the entire country is in the metro area where I live (SF Bay Area).

I want to check with some of my friends to see how much this flare up is different from the others in the past decade. Clearly, its in Netanyahu's best interest to stay on war footing (keeps him out of jail) but does this stand any chance of flaring up into an actual regional conflict? I'm not so sure.

In the past few decades, IL has played nice and come to an relations and an understanding (if not setted peace) with Egypt, Jordan (who came out AGAINST the attacks by Hamas - https://judiciary.house.gov/media/press-releases/jordan-statement-attacks-israel), and Qatar. They don't play nice with Lebanon, Syria, and Iran but this is nothing new.

roughly speaking in the same scale, the entire country is in the metro area where I live (SF Bay Area).

Cool map. Looks like I am in Jerusalem. 🤔

I talked to some friends. Yeah, this is going to be a war and not just an uprising where israel will need to "mow the grass" every so often.

The real big change is that civilians by the hundreds have been taken captive by Hamas. Its not just a handful of soldiers but old people, women, and children. Perhaps a bigger problem for Hamas is that they also took foreign citizens from Mexico, Brazil, the UK, Germany, and even Thailand (most likely folks in-IL as guest workers -- not terribly unusual BTW) as hostages. Imagine if Coachella or EDC Las Vegas was invaded by militants; that level of escalation will not likely be just a small military action but could spiral out into a regional conflict.

The winners? IMO this helps both Netanyahu (who was facing corruption charges for fraud and bribery) and Putin (who now has a welcome distraction if the West's attention now needs to focus on assisting Israel vs Hamas/Hezbollah/Iran vs just helping Ukraine).

There's also been US and Canadian hostages taken.

We don't need to get involved but we will be. Just in time for an already-screwy election year.

Last I heard they were nine American citizens killed, and an unknown number unaccounted for. There is an aircraft carrier task force headed to go sit off the coast of Gaza. I feel so bad for the hostages, and their families. Hamas will have hell to pay for what they’ve done.

Israel is calling up 300,000 reservists. Shit’s getting real.

These videos of the Hamas killing unarmed civilians, women/ children, barging into their homes and killing everyone and taking the children hostage are horrifying. Hard to imagine the severity of having your entire family shot right in front of you and then being taken hostage.
🇮🇱

Very ugly situation, and it I'm sure it will get worse before it gets better.

the whole thing is just weird. at first they said you wouldn’t get Covid if you got vaxxed, then when they data came out they said it only helped you not have really bad symptoms. what gets me is that they were literally forcing it on people, by firing you if you wouldn’t comply. I believe if the gov really wants you to do something, you shouldn’t do it. Do you guys really think they have our best interest?

Ya, that was misleading. I can understand if they truly didn't know (they had to scramble from almost nothing to make millions of vaccines now!) or they were just hopeful but this isn't a true vaccine in the sense of you need it once for the next 20 years. It's more of flu shot. That does not mean that COVID is "just the flu" like some idiots state. They're related (in terms of how they look and are attacked) but I never get a flu shot because so what if I get the flu, 4+ days of feeling like crap and it's gone. But COVID killed millions of people, worldwide. I didn't want to end up on a respirator (I get allergies and my lungs get phlegmy pretty easily) or dead so I got the vaccine (2 shots) + 2 of the boosters. I skipped the middle one because during that time I actually got COVID. The one fucking time I go out to a rock concert and was drinking beers (so, mask off half the night). With the vaccine it wound up hitting me only like a shitty flu, like 4-5 days feeling like garbage. I figured I had the white blood cells or whatever to fight off COVID for the next few months, anyway, so I never got the 2nd booster. I recently got the New And Improved 3rd booster.

It's one thing to offer a vaccine for something mild or uncommon, it's another thing to try to protect dumb stubborn people from themselves and have to make them get vaccinated so that we "only" suffered many millions of deaths. It could have been way worse if the vaccines were completely voluntary. Remember at the beginning, before all the retarded conspiracy theories, when the richer people were cutting in line to get the vaccines? Everyone forgets that, people flying to different states because those ones were offering vaccines to more than just old people in assisted living and healthcare workers.

"Forced" is relative, you want to see what forced really looks like, check out how China reacted to the virus, the way they physically prevented people from leaving their homes in order to slow down COVID. No thanks. I mean, it worked for the most part, but that is pretty over the top.

long term effects are talking about 5-10 years. And that’s on top of having kids while you’re vaxxed. Not trying to scare anybody or whatever but these are serious questions and concerns I have. And it seems if you have any questions about this subject your looked at crazy or called a conspiracy theorist.

Probably depends on the question. Asking if the vaccine has a tiny microchip inside so that the gubment can track you is a stupid, reality-defying question that does nothing but generate paranoia. Asking if it alters your DNA is similarly not understanding how vaccines work, and when you try to answer the question all you get is "Oh, you're working with them!" type reactions. That isn't even including the well what about this goofy remedy that I heard about on the interwebs questions.

Some of the questions truly couldn't be answered because of small sample sizes. Could the vaccine affect pregnancies and new-borns? Maybe, too early to tell. Could the vaccine cause side-effects? Possibly, but it's going to be pretty rare, would you rather low risk some uncommon side effect or be dead?

what I do know is Pfizer has the biggest criminal find ever in history, 2.3 BILLION dollars. i wouldn’t trust shit they say EVER.

the reason I bring this up is because I have people close to me who have got the jab and they are doing fine and all that. But it still brings huge concern over the long term effects of this.

Well, ya, brand new thing that everybody need to take, get it get it get it! Under normal circumstances there would have been more testing but this was a crisis. Look at like some of the wartime inventions during WWII, not all of them were perfect out of the box, B-29s were killing crews early on because of their new engines, for example. This is similar, we didn't have time to be absolutely sure, millions of people dying mandated get a mostly solid fix out to everybody now, worry about the could have been better later. The conspiracy nuts forget that the whole planet was doing the same thing so any "our government is doing this for supervillain reasons" flies out the window when compared to other countries that function very differently than ours having the same medical crisis and using the same solutions.

Compare lately to the beginning of the epidemic, companies can take more time, really test against the new strains, try different approaches besides the standard vaccine. That luxury didn't exist at the beginning.

if you go to rumble and search Covid videos, it’s all a bunch of legit doctors speaking on this and bringing data to back up these claims. You can say what you like about rumble, at least they don’t try and silence you for having an opposing view to the narrative Aka “you should get vaxxed”

at this point, where does it end? Are they going to continue to pop out vaccines for every virus from now on?

Probably, if a vaccine would actually do something. Testing testing testing. I think the response to COVID was fantastic considering that Trump had dissolved the one department created to deal with exactly that kind of pandemic months earlier. Not just us, other countries, too, though I still laugh at Russia's Sputnik V vaccines that was crap compared to other countries' solutions.

The biggest conspiracy "data" that almost makes sense is that there have been many people who were healthy/not geriatrics, got the vaccine(s), and then died. What they are ignoring is the data from pre-COVID years of the same shit happening, normal healthy people up and dying for no reason (so, not murdered or hit by a bus or whatever). Filed under "it happens" for some people, the reasons vary depending on who it was, how he/she lived, etc. The only difference now is that after the pandemic there were the same large number of healthy people every year dying for no reason, but now you add in "and he got the vaccine" to the mix, aha, that's what killed him! No. Compare to pre-COVID, were there a lot of people dying mysteriously, healthy people who had no history of deadly problems? Ya. So guess what, it's still happening, vaccine or no vaccine.

TL,DR but this was where I quit reading.
it's another thing to try to protect dumb stubborn people from themselves and have to make them get vaccinated so that we "only" suffered many millions of deaths.

I know plenty of people who didn't get the vaccines, got covid, and survived. Various spectrum of ages and existing ailments. The wife had covid while she was pregnant and had no issues. On the other side, I know those who got the vaccine and still died from covid. I also have a good friend who got the vaccine while pregnant and miscarried a healthy pregnancy within a week. Did the shot cause it or was it a coincidence? Who knows. It is what it is.

Hopefully as time goes on, the vaccines will become more effective at stopping covid while also receiving more testing on adverse reactions to prevent any unintended side effects.

At the end of the day, it should be a choice made between you and your doctor. That's it. Get the shots or don't get the shots, it's your call. Just stay home when you are sick and don't make anyone else do what you think they should do because it is best for you.

Unfortunately that's a lost belief these days.

I had a certain family member trying to use my sudden health problems that showed up out of the blue in spring 2021as an example to other family members and probably everyone else he knew that it was the jab. Notwithstanding the fact that the jab(theories) doesn't cause the kidney issue I had, and especially notwithstanding the fact that I didn't even have the first vaccine administered yet!

It's just pure confirmation bias, people like to say "when there's smoke there's fire" but can't tell smoke apart from a puffy cumulous cloud.