Let's Talk Movies Thread 2023

I saw an imax movie at the smithsonian during a school trip,and it was so impressive, I remember the headrush 50 years later.
It was called "to fly" and was an exploration of flight. One sequence, you're in a baloon basket, skimming over a grassy plain, then the view drops off a cliff, and I could feel myself falling! It was he most immersive experience I've ever had.
I'd recommend it for anyone if you've never seen one.

Just remembered another brilliant movie this year:

Marry My Dead Body
There was a 70's dark comedy, about a guy that marries his gf after he's dead, and everyone dies in a murder mystery-type fashion. Roddy Mcdowell as his brother who basically gets exploded because he wore the wrong suit, lol. It's memorable 50years later. It was called "Arnold" Catch it on sci fi occasionally.

Last edited:
This is coming up: it's one of my favorite sf series. There are a few books to work with. If the cgi is good, it will be awesome!

This is also upcominghttps://www.imdb.com/title/tt0310952/?ref_=tt_sims_tt_i_4 Riverworld is a series of books by carlos castenada, and they were really good.

Ok for anyone who enjoys a WW2 movie. Recently I watched The 1000 Plane Raid from 1969. Not a HUGE blockbuster, but there is some really GOOD B-17 flying footage in the middle. If you like aircraft and such, it's a fun watch. There are some shots where they actually fly a B17 really close to the ground. You could do that in 1968 when they still had some of those around.

Watched The Menu last night. It was a fun movie, I recommend. It's barely even a horror movie. It is what it is

In a meeting this afternoon and I'm told a 3rd party application we use is moving to the name Encino. I kid you not. All I get in my head is Brendan Fraser in dreads from "Encino Man".

Oh wait, this wasn't a thread for Academy award movies was it?! 😜

If someone came up with something like that, I'd put that dreads pic in a few early emails, and forever give the thing an air of fail, lol. We had a moron decide we would use 'next generation' as our code word for a project. :) I went thru every trek related code name I could think of. My PCB's for divider circuits were 'enterprise', our new material was 'dilithium', and I was calling a timing circuit I designed a 'phase discriminator', lol.
We got a bunch of people on board over the life of the project. The only pushback I got was the 'Heisenberg compensator' Which apparently had better timing than theoretically possible. WTF; it worked, lol.

I saw several bird- named projects, stars, and dogs, over the 35 year career I enjoyed. :)

Watched Southern Comfort(1981) the other night - national guardsmen on a training exercise armed with only blanks piss off Cajun trappers deep in the Louisiana swamps. Its like the Warriors meets Deliverance. 10/10.

Also recently watched the original Rosemary's baby for the first time all the way through. I think the ending is stupid(and was why I never was that interested in seeing the rest of it all my life) but damnit that pedo midget Polanski knew how to set a scene. Pretty damn good 8/10

Chinatown free on Youtube! Great flick, for those haven't seen it it's like Who Framed Roger Rabbit but with Jack Nicholson and more incest.

Watched Southern Comfort(1981) the other night - national guardsmen on a training exercise armed with only blanks piss off Cajun trappers deep in the Louisiana swamps. Its like the Warriors meets Deliverance. 10/10.

Also recently watched the original Rosemary's baby for the first time all the way through. I think the ending is stupid(and was why I never was that interested in seeing the rest of it all my life) but damnit that pedo midget Polanski knew how to set a scene. Pretty damn good 8/10
He also hooked up with Sharon Tate.

I liked the Tarantino version much better than real life, lol.

I'm going to add a TV show recommendation b/c there's no sense in two video/streaming/movie threads.
I just started the Apple series Foundation (based on the Asimov story) and I'm pretty impressed. Like a little combination of Star Trek and Game of Thrones with a dash of a Christian Bale's American Psycho thrown in.

I've watched the first season of Fondation. It's amazing. Glad to see you've discovered and are enjoying it.

I need to make time to work my way through season 2. Really good acting by all. Amazing writing/adaption to screen of the book series.

I'm also a fan of the Apple alternate history Space Race series "For All Mankind."

I'm going to add a TV show recommendation b/c there's no sense in two video/streaming/movie threads.
I just started the Apple series Foundation (based on the Asimov story) and I'm pretty impressed. Like a little combination of Star Trek and Game of Thrones with a dash of a Christian Bale's American Psycho thrown in.

Finished the season 1 finale tonight and watched S2, E1 and E2.

S2, E1 is amazing! They open S2 with a bang‼️ (Literally :LOL: )

Just watched the Archer series finale, which apparently I was living under a rock because I thought tonight was the premier of the final season that had in fact started in the summer :facepalm: They apparently introduced some random new character that reminded me of poochie, they should've ended this show 3 or 4 seasons ago.

I used to love that show (note my tagline). They jumped the shark when they started "working" with the CIA. They should have just renamed ISIS to something else that wasn't a terrorist organization in the middle east and carried on.

After Woodhouse and his voice actor died, I quit watching. That season was stupid. I am amazed they continued on following Jessica Walter's passing.

I used to love that show (note my tagline). They jumped the shark when they started "working" with the CIA. They should have just renamed ISIS to something else that wasn't a terrorist organization in the middle east and carried on.

After Woodhouse and his voice actor died, I quit watching. That season was stupid. I am amazed they continued on following Jessica Walter's passing.

The joke quality noticeably fell off in that second coma season, I started watching again after those seasons but the writers clearly ran out of ideas.

Ever watch Frisky Dingo?

The joke quality noticeably fell off in that second coma season, I started watching again after those seasons but the writers clearly ran out of ideas.

Ever watch Frisky Dingo?
I agree that Archer ended more with a whimper than a bang. i recall watching Frisky Dingo but can't remember much about it at all... maybe it was a batman knockoff with jokes? That's all I recall.

Speaking of knock offs, Netflix just released a new Zack Snyder film called Rebel Moon: Part 1.
Its supposed to be a space opera.
It's pretty, I'd watch it if you had nothing else to watch, but don't expect much. Personally, I thought Jupiter Ascending was far better -- and that's not saying much (the Channing Tatum+Mila Kunis movie where she's a galactic princess and totally ripped off Flash Gordan). Think of a visually stunning mishmash of Star Wars and Seven Samurai (but taking on a galactic empire), with some bits of Chronicles of Riddick thrown in.
- You don't really give a shit about the characters.
- Everyone looks too good even if they are dirt farmers
- Backstories are explained with flashback sequences or exposition
- Some set piece battles; not as video gamey like first season of the Mandelorian, but close
- Lots of things visually feel derivative like you've seen the this stuff before vs original: Spaceships like Space Battleship Yamato (which in turn is a copy of Japanese destroyers), uniforms feel Warhammer 4K and/or Hugo Boss/Nazi, one hero looks like Legolas cosplaying as a Native American, a vertical spaceship like from Star Wars, and there's even an alien horsebird thing ripped out of Harry Potter.

This is no Dune but its an okay way to waste 2 hours. It looks like they spent $166M to make both parts

Hah! Its a Star Wars reject script.... which is funny considering the terrible crap that has been done in the Star Wars universe.

I agree that Archer ended more with a whimper than a bang. i recall watching Frisky Dingo but can't remember much about it at all... maybe it was a batman knockoff with jokes? That's all I recall.

Speaking of knock offs, Netflix just released a new Zack Snyder film called Rebel Moon: Part 1.
Its supposed to be a space opera.
It's pretty, I'd watch it if you had nothing else to watch, but don't expect much. Personally, I thought Jupiter Ascending was far better -- and that's not saying much (the Channing Tatum+Mila Kunis movie where she's a galactic princess and totally ripped off Flash Gordan). Think of a visually stunning mishmash of Star Wars and Seven Samurai (but taking on a galactic empire), with some bits of Chronicles of Riddick thrown in.
- You don't really give a shit about the characters.
- Everyone looks too good even if they are dirt farmers
- Backstories are explained with flashback sequences or exposition
- Some set piece battles; not as video gamey like first season of the Mandelorian, but close
- Lots of things visually feel derivative like you've seen the this stuff before vs original: Spaceships like Space Battleship Yamato (which in turn is a copy of Japanese destroyers), uniforms feel Warhammer 4K and/or Hugo Boss/Nazi, one hero looks like Legolas cosplaying as a Native American, a vertical spaceship like from Star Wars, and there's even an alien horsebird thing ripped out of Harry Potter.

This is no Dune but its an okay way to waste 2 hours. It looks like they spent $166M to make both parts

Hah! Its a Star Wars reject script.... which is funny considering the terrible crap that has been done in the Star Wars universe.

:LOL: Great summary of Rebel Moon.

Weren't you watching the Foundation series too? How do you like it so far? I finished season 3 about two weeks ago. I'm all caught up with everything that's been produced so far. Can't wait to see what comes next.

Also looking forward to the new Masters of the Air about the 100th Bomber Group. Produced by Tom Hanks and Spielberg it's going to be amazing!

Check it out here:

and

Sort of, Xander Crews was basically an asshole Bruce Wayne (or a proto-Archer) but with an entire team of sidekicks, with the show primarily revolving around documenting the supervillain Killface who intended to destroy earth with a doomsday weapon in season one but accidentally solved global warming with it, leading to the second season where he’s now a hero running for president against Crews. The show was made by the same people who made Archer right before Archer so the writing, joke quality, and one liners are almost identical to the early seasons.

Last edited: